The Student Room Group

A-level option dilemma (beginning September 2023)

Hi everyone! I wouldn't normally post on TSR but recently I've had a dilemma regarding my A-level options for September (as I'm currently in Year 11). I took both German and Spanish at GCSE and I'm predicted 9s in both, but after selecting German as an A-level option in my sixth form application I'm beginning to question whether I made the right decision as I've been beginning to perform slightly better in Spanish although I still enjoy both. For reference, my other two A-level options are English Literature and History as well as an EPQ, and I absolutely don't want to take both languages due to the level of fluency and knowledge that is required for them at A-level even though I've been able to cope at GCSE. Any suggestions?
UPDATE: Thank you all for your advice! I ended up getting 9s in both and I'm currently doing A-level German, which I'm really enjoying (and doing well in) so far, so I think I made the right decision!
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Hi! I'm currently in year 12 taking both spanish and german (with english language and an epq) and also got 9s in both at gcse! If you are totally sure you don't want to take both languages, maybe have a look at the topics in both of them as whilst there are similar topics, there are also many that differ. I personally find german much more difficult than spanish purely because the step up grammatically at a level feels much bigger in german than spanish. That being said, that is totally expected and now I can feel my german fluency level becoming a lot more like my spanish. The biggest factor to your decision really should just be which you enjoy the most as if there isn't much difference in your gcse ability, it would probably be the same at a level. A language is tough whatever so picking the one you will prefer is the best thing you can do! I'm more than happy to tell you more about the main differences between the two at a level (if it is also aqa). Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
to be honest, Im not doing any languages but I would say pick the language you are best in! if you feel like you're going to struggle with it, then look into the a level content using YouTube videos of people expressing their opinions on the a level subjects and have a look at the specification to see exactly what you need to know. if it still isn't looking good then it might be best to not take it to a level and just go with something you'll be good in. your predicted grades dp not matter AT ALL, the only grades which matter are your final results which will be released on august 24. do not get hyper fixated on your predicted grades as it will get you to be fixated on the possible grades you can get but only the scores of all the candidates will determine the grade boundaries. wish you all the best with the rest of your exams -a year 11 student.
Original post by daisygrace.22
Hi everyone! I wouldn't normally post on TSR but recently I've had a dilemma regarding my A-level options for September (as I'm currently in Year 11). I took both German and Spanish at GCSE and I'm predicted 9s in both, but after selecting German as an A-level option in my sixth form application I'm beginning to question whether I made the right decision as I've been beginning to perform slightly better in Spanish although I still enjoy both. For reference, my other two A-level options are English Literature and History as well as an EPQ, and I absolutely don't want to take both languages due to the level of fluency and knowledge that is required for them at A-level even though I've been able to cope at GCSE. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply

Latest