The Student Room Group

Drama school monologues!

Hi guys!

I have read a lot of threads on monologues but none seem to actually suggest any! I know a lot of people do not like to reveal their monologues as they feel like they will be cheated on, however I find that quite silly, no?

Has anyone ever got into drama school? And if so, what monologues did you audition with?

I am applying to Guidhall, Rada, Lamda, Central, Rose Bruford, Bristol Old Vic, RWCMD, RSSD, Drama Centre and East 15. I know - A LOT!

I have my Guidhall audition for 2014 entry on 16th October... I am really stuck in finding monologues and I only have a month!

I am more stuck on the contemporary ones than the classical ones.

Any help would be amazing guys, thank you so much to anyone that suggest some monologues or plays.

And sorry that this is such a long message!

Thanks!! xxx
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by Rhianna25
Hi guys!

I have read a lot of threads on monologues but none seem to actually suggest any! I know a lot of people do not like to reveal their monologues as they feel like they will be cheated on, however I find that quite silly, no?

Has anyone ever got into drama school? And if so, what monologues did you audition with?

I am applying to Guidhall, Rada, Lamda, Central, Rose Bruford, Bristol Old Vic, RWCMD, RSSD, Drama Centre and East 15. I know - A LOT!

I have my Guidhall audition for 2014 entry on 16th October... I am really stuck in finding monologues and I only have a month!

I am more stuck on the contemporary ones than the classical ones.

Any help would be amazing guys, thank you so much to anyone that suggest some monologues or plays.

And sorry that this is such a long message!

Thanks!! xxx

Hey,

I'm at Central atm; my best advice to you would be to head to a library and just start ploughing through plays. If you live in/near London then the National Theatre Bookshop and the Royal Court Theatre Bookshop are the very best bet, you can find lots there.

If you're reading a play and there's nothing for you in there, but you like the style, then look up that playwright's other works and you might find something there.

If you're really stuck, there's also this - http://www.themonobox.co.uk/

Good Luck!
I'm not at a drama school, I'm at a university studying Drama, but I still had to go through a rigourous audition day, so I hope you'll accept my help.

My contemporary monologue was from a play called "The Gut Girls" by Sarah Daniels. I'm not going to tell you the monologue on here because it's important that you read the play and you'll be tempted not to if I post it here. Honestly, the second worse thing you can do for an audition (after not having learned your lines) is to not have read the play your monologue is from. Anyway, the monologue is Annie's speech in Act 1, Scene 5, and there's also another good one from Ellen in Act 2, Scene 7.

I also needed contemporary monologues for my LAMDA Acting exams, and these are the ones I used:
Bronze - Jane, Postcards by Carol K Mack (there are no acts or scenes in this play but the monologue is fairly near the beginning. Starts, "That night I made a daube for fifty. God, I was so nervous!")
Silver - Lily, Glass Eels by Nell Leyshon (also no acts or scenes, it's about halfway through the play, pages 54-55 on my copy, starts, "I think I'm like my mother. She came down here at night. I know I shouldn't come, but I can't stop myself.")
Gold - Electra, The Murders at Argos by David Foley (this one does have acts and scenes, but I don't have a copy of the book and I can't remember what scene it was in, BUT it does come about 2 thirds of the way through. Starts, "Where is your shame? Any of you? How dare you stand here and pretend to judge him?")

I know lots of others that I haven't used personally, so if you don't like any of these, give me a shout :smile: but remember, ALWAYS read the play!!
Reply 4
Good luck on your audition!! I am desperately trying to find a contemporary for my auditions, can you help? I'll obviously buy the play, but I'm so stuck on what to use and I don't want to buy a play and find it doesn't have a monologue in hahaha. I really like The Crucible but that's kind of overused. I also love the play A Taste of Honey but idk if thats got a monologue in so I don't want to buy it. Can someone recommend others? x
Reply 5
May I ask where you're at now?
Did you get in to drama school in 2013?
What monologues did you use?
How was the audition?
How is the experience of drama school now?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DizzyDotRocks
I'm not at a drama school, I'm at a university studying Drama, but I still had to go through a rigourous audition day, so I hope you'll accept my help.

My contemporary monologue was from a play called "The Gut Girls" by Sarah Daniels. I'm not going to tell you the monologue on here because it's important that you read the play and you'll be tempted not to if I post it here. Honestly, the second worse thing you can do for an audition (after not having learned your lines) is to not have read the play your monologue is from. Anyway, the monologue is Annie's speech in Act 1, Scene 5, and there's also another good one from Ellen in Act 2, Scene 7.

I also needed contemporary monologues for my LAMDA Acting exams, and these are the ones I used:
Bronze - Jane, Postcards by Carol K Mack (there are no acts or scenes in this play but the monologue is fairly near the beginning. Starts, "That night I made a daube for fifty. God, I was so nervous!":wink:
Silver - Lily, Glass Eels by Nell Leyshon (also no acts or scenes, it's about halfway through the play, pages 54-55 on my copy, starts, "I think I'm like my mother. She came down here at night. I know I shouldn't come, but I can't stop myself.":wink:
Gold - Electra, The Murders at Argos by David Foley (this one does have acts and scenes, but I don't have a copy of the book and I can't remember what scene it was in, BUT it does come about 2 thirds of the way through. Starts, "Where is your shame? Any of you? How dare you stand here and pretend to judge him?":wink:

I know lots of others that I haven't used personally, so if you don't like any of these, give me a shout :smile: but remember, ALWAYS read the play!!

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me out and share some more monologues that you know about. Im in the same situation this year, getting ready to apply and im struggling finding the best monologue!

Thanks,
Kelsey
Reply 7
Hiya!
I'm looking for a contemporary monologue and play after 1960 and you seem very knowledgable! :smile: I'm going to look up the ones you've listed, but do you have any others for a female 20-25 age range, contemporary, and any style? I'm able to buy any plays so any thing you suggest would be fab!

Thanks so much!
Reply 8
Hi, I'm 14 and I was hoping to get into one of those drama schools when i'm older. I was just wondering what GCSEs and A levels you have?
Thankyou, Daisy x
Reply 9
Hey... I'm heading to Drama school in september... I'm pretty sure it doesn't really matter what subjects they're in, just make sure you pass them, and get a couple of A levels at a C or above and you'll be fine... But that's pretty lax advice, so look up the requirements on the websites of the schools you're interested in to be sure. They don't really consider what you've studied, they'll base nearly everything on your audition. At no point was I asked in any of my interviews about my a levels, though on the application it will help if you have them.
However, they will want to know that you have a little experience/knowledge of theatre, so studying drama or theatre studies may be a good place to start, as it may give you a chance to study playwrights and see theatre! (Being able to talk about playwrights you like and productions you've seen is great info to talk about in an interview)
There's quite a lot to know, so I'd grab one of the 'guide to auditioning at drama school' books online, as there's really valuable information in them. (Look for an orange one). It's really tough (took me three years to get in) so seek as much help as you possibly can!!!!! If you start preparing now you may have a chance of getting in first time...
It also wouldn't be a bad idea to read plays/ books on acting technique (with good reviews) and see as much theatre as possible. But get help!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hey... I'm heading to Drama school in september... I'm pretty sure it doesn't really matter what subjects they're in, just make sure you pass them, and get a couple of A levels at a C or above and you'll be fine... But that's pretty lax advice, so look up the requirements on the websites of the schools you're interested in to be sure. They don't really consider what you've studied, they'll base nearly everything on your audition. At no point was I asked in any of my interviews about my a levels, though on the application it will help if you have them.
However, they will want to know that you have a little experience/knowledge of theatre, so studying drama or theatre studies may be a good place to start, as it may give you a chance to study playwrights and see theatre! (Being able to talk about playwrights you like and productions you've seen is great info to talk about in an interview)
There's quite a lot to know, so I'd grab one of the 'guide to auditioning at drama school' books online, as there's really valuable information in them. (Look for an orange one). It's really tough (took me three years to get in) so seek as much help as you possibly can!!!!! If you start preparing now you may have a chance of getting in first time...
It also wouldn't be a bad idea to read plays/ books on acting technique (with good reviews) and see as much theatre as possible. But get help!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Annie from the gut girls, it allows for a lot of contrast with in the emotions and gains extra points with the panel when you get completely in character consistently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending