The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
What's a decent pair of shoes for the winter between £40-£80 and what type of shoes do people wear to look smart on night out?
Original post by Profesh

Crockett & Jones, 1945, in my size.

Spoiler

Wow. Magnificent things. Definite dilemma though. £200 is probably my max on any shoe at the moment. Which is a pity as I'd wager you can't get a great pair of Oxfords, for example, for any less.

Just bought the pair of suede Wallabees I'd been on about before. Sort of a self treat for keeping my job!
Original post by Peachz
Personally not a fan of that leather jacket, the only one's I like are the 'biker' style ones. But that is just personal preference.

I think it would suit me but meh.

http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/078908
http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/078909

Which would you say is better to get? The duffel would look better in grey/navy and the pea in navy.
Original post by A random human

Which would you say is better to get? The duffel would look better in grey/navy and the pea in navy.

The pea coat imo, you can use it for just about everything.
Reply 104
Original post by A random human

I agree, the pea coat. It looks smarter so can be used for both casual and more formal occasions.
Reply 105
Original post by rockrunride
Wow. Magnificent things. Definite dilemma though. £200 is probably my max on any shoe at the moment. Which is a pity as I'd wager you can't get a great pair of Oxfords, for example, for any less.

Conversely (pun unintended), these are 'only' £370:

And the logical upgrade to a style I've championed since 2012. An early Christmas present, perhaps?

Just bought the pair of suede Wallabees I'd been on about before. Sort of a self treat for keeping my job!

Interesting; not my 'type', mind, but tasteful nevertheless. Paired with what?
Reply 106
Green jeans; pink pinstripe:

(If anyone can recommend a medium-blue blazer fit for a 34" chest, I'd be much obliged.)
Reply 107
Original post by Profesh

And the logical upgrade to a style I've championed since 2012. An early Christmas present, perhaps?

Those boots are beautiful. 34' chest is very slender. You're gonna struggle trying to get that.
Reply 108
Original post by Peachz
Those boots are beautiful. 34' chest is very slender. You're gonna struggle trying to get that.

My one serviceable blazer is a Topman 'XS', and possibly the best fifteen pounds I've ever spent:

If anyone can find me a similar garment (preferably velvet or moleskin) but in cobalt, the rep will be duly earned.
Reply 109
Original post by Profesh
My one serviceable blazer is a Topman 'XS', and possibly the best fifteen pounds I've ever spent:

If anyone can find me a similar garment (preferably velvet or moleskin) but in cobalt, the rep will be duly earned.

Have you tried topman again?
Reply 110
Original post by Profesh

River Island?
Original post by Profesh

Lovely, pair of gems.

Wallabees are a semi desert boot with a bit of a higher sole. I'm used to having a pair of cheap tan suede loafers that look good but don't last, and I thought I'd try something a bit different on a bit of a higher price point to replace them. I'll wear them on pub nights and stuff with slim jeans, and also to work with chinos. Probably won't risk trying them with trousers,
Reply 112
Original post by bhav777
River Island?

A near-exact replica! I heartily approve. Now all that remains is for me to stake-out eBay in wait for one careful if fiscally imprudent and sartorially fickle previous owner (read: Weightwatchers recidivist), and my ensemble will be complete.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 113
Original post by Profesh
A near-exact replica! I heartily approve. Now all that remains is for me to stake-out eBay in wait for one careful if fiscally imprudent and sartorially fickle previous owner (read: Weightwatchers recidivist), and my ensemble will be complete.

First of all, you want unspaced em dashes (—) not spaced en dashes. You don't customise your font so you can't be fussed with typography like those hippies at Cambridge University Press or Penguin. Since punctuation and grammar are presumably your concerns, the em dash is the best one to use, especially since it serves a completely distinct purpose to the en dash, which is used for chronological ranges and so on.

Second of all, you seriously can't afford to buy that blazer from River Island?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 114
Original post by vespa
First of all, you want unspaced em dashes (—) not spaced en dashes. You don't customise your font so you can't be fussed with typography like those hippies at Cambridge University Press or Penguin. Since punctuation and grammar are presumably your concerns, the em dash is the best one to use, especially since it serves a completely distinct purpose to the en dash, which is used for chronological ranges and so on.

As my dread, lingering presence on this thread relates I'm as much concerned with the aesthetics of syntax as I am with its grammar, and the spaced en-dash while a heretical bastardisation of typography has always sat better with me (and with the British news fraternity) than its Chicago counterpart. And besides which, **** prescriptivism.

Second of all, you seriously can't afford to buy that blazer from River Island?

Well, I could heck, it took every iota of my self-restraint not to impulse-buy those boots on page 5 but after squandering £80 last year on a corduroy jacket which I wore all of seven times I've become a little more reserved in my sartorial adventures, not least because I'm acutely aware that I'm far too lazy ever to return anything, however much I might regret the initial purchase.
Reply 115
Original post by Profesh
Well, I could heck, it took every iota of my self-restraint not to impulse-buy those boots on page 5 but after squandering £80 last year on a corduroy jacket which I wore all of seven times I've become a little more reserved in my sartorial adventures, not least because I'm acutely aware that I'm far too lazy ever to return anything, however much I might regret the initial purchase.

Well, that's because corduroy is a horrible material that should be banned.
Reply 116
Original post by vespa
Well, that's because corduroy is a horrible material that should be banned.

And... your position on velvet?

I'm asking for a friend.
Reply 117
Original post by Dubes
What's a decent pair of shoes for the winter between £40-£80 and what type of shoes do people wear to look smart on night out?

Ikon are reasonably well-made and available in a range of styles: http://ikonfootwear.net/index.php?manufacturers_id=10
Reply 118
Original post by Profesh
And... your position on velvet?

I'm asking for a friend.

Depends on the outfit and the colour. If it's that red wine colour you see on ZARA mannequins that thoroughly homosexual men choose to wear with blue shirts and jeans, it's bad—but so is the whole outfit and the pleb wearing it.

Blue velvet, white shirt, light grey slacks... ew. Well, actually, maybe I don't like velvet.

At least, black velvet is fine for a dinner jacket but beyond that, I don't think anything beats a decent wool or linen suit in earth tones with an understated belt, wholecut leather shoes, simple timepiece etc.
got me these 'phresh' new shoes to wear with my black topman stretch skinny jeans. 0whitenavygola (2).JPG

Latest