The Student Room Group

MEI M2 or DE?

Hey, my school is doing M2 as part of my further maths alongside FP2/S2. I haven't done physics at a-level so have little experience with mechanics. I'm barely managing with M1 for the time being.

My tutor is suggesting I do DE with him/self teach. I love pure maths (got 97 UMS in core1/2), so imagine that DE would be manageable although I would like some opinions. I find mechanics quite cool but do struggle with it slightly and I'm working towards getting an A* in FM.

what would be an easier module out of the two? I have only done m1 mechanics, haven't really started m2 so can't comment on difficulty but does anyone have experience with the two modules?

thanks alot
Reply 1
Original post by Jheeeze
Hey, my school is doing M2 as part of my further maths alongside FP2/S2. I haven't done physics at a-level so have little experience with mechanics. I'm barely managing with M1 for the time being.

My tutor is suggesting I do DE with him/self teach. I love pure maths (got 97 UMS in core1/2), so imagine that DE would be manageable although I would like some opinions. I find mechanics quite cool but do struggle with it slightly and I'm working towards getting an A* in FM.

what would be an easier module out of the two? I have only done m1 mechanics, haven't really started m2 so can't comment on difficulty but does anyone have experience with the two modules?

thanks alot

Think about what you want. Are you just aiming to maximise the marks you get for that exam, or do you want to study something relevant to your university course?
Reply 2
Original post by Mark13
Think about what you want. Are you just aiming to maximise the marks you get for that exam, or do you want to study something relevant to your university course?

Ah I forgot to mention that I applied for maths at 4 unis and morse at warwick. So mechanics isn't as significant as the differential equations.

I'm trying to maximise marks and get an A* in FM.
Reply 3
bump.
Original post by Jheeeze

thanks alot

Take a look at my attachment. Do you think it will help you?
Reply 5
Original post by brianeverit
Take a look at my attachment. Do you think it will help you?

Wow thanks for that. I haven't studied DE yet but find rates of change interesting. Is DE harder than M2, from those who've done it.
Original post by Jheeeze
Wow thanks for that. I haven't studied DE yet but find rates of change interesting. Is DE harder than M2, from those who've done it.

Personally I would say M2 is the harder particularly if you are not doing Physics.
Incidentally, if there is anything in the notes I sent that you do not understand, please feel free to PM me.

Quick Reply

Latest