The Student Room Group

Scary flashbacks

It's been a lot of weeks, but I was in my room and my parents were arguing in their bedroom and I could heard them but I chose to ignore them because they argue all the time and it's always bad, but then I heard a weird noise and I knew my father had just hit my mother, and I ran in and she was crying and I told him to stop and I started crying. Ever since that day whenever I think about it and I get flashbacks, it drives me insane and gives me shivers and I just feel like crying. Will this ever go away?
Hi
Thank you for your message. It must have been really scary to hear that and then to go in and see what was happening. I am not surprised you are getting flashbacks - this is a normal reaction to stress and trauma.
Have you been able to talk to anyone about this yet? Is your mum getting any support?

This is a good site that may be able to give you some advice.
http://www.thehideout.org.uk/default.aspa

Also, this is the national domestic violence helpline, they are open 24 hours a day and will be able to help you or your mum.
0808 2000 247

Do you feel able to talk to your mum when your dad is not around? There is a lot of support out there for both of you. If you want to tell me roughly where you live (you can do this via a private message on here) I can then tell you about your nearest service. You and your mum could also think about moving to a refuge, the helpline can advise you about that too and about all your other options.

It is also a good idea to think how to keep safe when your dad is being abusive. I know your instinct was to run into the room to help, but it may be safer to stay in your room and ring the police if you are scared, or maybe go to a neighbours house for help?
Is there anyone at school/college who you could talk to as well? It is important that you are not dealing with this alone.

The feelings you are having will get better, but the best way for this to happen is to talk about how you feel, and to be safe.

come back here anytime for a chat,
take care
Jo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending