The Student Room Group

My friend might be getting extra time and i hate it.

No she doesn't have a learning disability or a disorder that makes her have difficulty. She got like 8s and 9s in her GCSE and now we're in year 13, she just happens to do very badly in her mocks and shes asked a teacher if she can have extra time purely because she didn't finish her exams. Not many people finish their exam in my class so idk why she gets to ask and shes close to getting it.
She got a C in her mock for one class and then two Bs in another. She told me that she can't process quickly, but neither can I? It makes me angry how she gets special treatment and I don't even when my grades are clearly lower than hers. I know its not a competition but if teachers opened their eyes more, they would see that she doesn't need it and there are people who do. She complains about how she doesn't get to finish her exams like she did in the GCSEs i can't even complete exams now but i haven't been asking around and seeking help that i don't need.
I just feel like shes using it because she wants an advantage for her alevels.

Should i ask for extra time too or is it too late? I hope they say no to her because this isnt fair.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
No she doesn't have a learning disability or a disorder that makes her have difficulty. She got like 8s and 9s in her GCSE and now we're in year 13, she just happens to do very badly in her mocks and shes asked a teacher if she can have extra time purely because she didn't finish her exams. Not many people finish their exam in my class so idk why she gets to ask and shes close to getting it.
She got a C in her mock for one class and then two Bs in another. She told me that she can't process quickly, but neither can I? It makes me angry how she gets special treatment and I don't even when my grades are clearly lower than hers. I know its not a competition but if teachers opened their eyes more, they would see that she doesn't need it and there are people who do. She complains about how she doesn't get to finish her exams like she did in the GCSEs i can't even complete exams now but i haven't been asking around and seeking help that i don't need.

Should i ask for extra time too or is it too late? I hope they say no to her because this isnt fair.

Its only starting to annoy me more because we've been doing timed tests in class that have to be completed in 30 minutes. But if you finish before the time limit, you can just hand it in and just sit there and wait. And she just gives it in at like the 20 minute mark and sits their happily. She doesn't have a disadvantage, her processing time is fine. Everyone process things slowly, like it takes me 5 minutes to understand the text. It's not going to click before that, its normal but she seems like its not. If you can't tell, i'm extremely annoyed. Her predicated is already AAB. I want extra time so bad. I'm on a BCC and yes i do revise.
Its only starting to annoy me more because we've been doing timed tests in class that have to be completed in 30 minutes. But if you finish before the time limit, you can just hand it in and just sit there and wait. And she just gives it in at like the 20 minute mark and sits their happily. She doesn't have a disadvantage, her processing time is fine. Everyone process things slowly, like it takes me 5 minutes to understand the text. It's not going to click before that, its normal but she seems like its not. If you can't tell, i'm extremely annoyed. Her predicated is already AAB. I want extra time so bad. I'm on a BCC and yes i do revise.

I have the same thing happening, my mate has slow processing time but her work and contributions in class show otherwise. She doesn't have any disabilities or learning problems either. Lets hope they don't get it lol, if they don't have medical proof, then i don't see why she would get it. There are people who need it for valid reasons but having slow processing time when theres proof that your doing well is just stupid. People just like to abuse the system.
Reply 3
So where do you stop? If you go to uni and see someone with better marks getting extra time, will you ask for it too? In a job, if someone gets extra time to complete their tasks, will you want it too?

It sounds like this has only become an issue because of your friend and it wouldn't bother you otherwise. You don't know all her circumstances, but if you have a problem then shouldn't you be telling your parents and seeing your GP for it to be formally raised with the school?
Reply 4
Original post by Surnia
So where do you stop? If you go to uni and see someone with better marks getting extra time, will you ask for it too? In a job, if someone gets extra time to complete their tasks, will you want it too?

It sounds like this has only become an issue because of your friend and it wouldn't bother you otherwise. You don't know all her circumstances, but if you have a problem then shouldn't you be telling your parents and seeing your GP for it to be formally raised with the school?
yeah if someone didn't need the extra time in uni, yeah i'll probs find out and ask. I'm not gonna sit back while people get an advantage.
Yeah youre right, this situation only annoys me bc of my friend as i know what shes like, i know her capabilities. Ans she doesn't need it.
My parents don't believe in this sort of stuff and just tell me to get grip so going to the GP isn't an option. Her test is tmrw so im hoping she doesn't get it and if she does, then im asking
yeah if someone didn't need the extra time in uni, yeah i'll probs find out and ask. I'm not gonna sit back while people get an advantage.
Yeah youre right, this situation only annoys me bc of my friend as i know what shes like, i know her capabilities. Ans she doesn't need it.
My parents don't believe in this sort of stuff and just tell me to get grip so going to the GP isn't an option. Her test is tmrw so im hoping she doesn't get it and if she does, then im asking

I can tell you right now if you try going to uni staff and talking about who you do and don't think deserves extra time you'll get put in your place very quickly.
You don't sound like a genuine friend, rather, it sounds like you're trying to keep someone in check so they don't do better than you. I agree that the system is abused in relation to extra time, rest breaks etc, but if they give her extra time, then clearly there is SOME level of necessity there. They don't just give it out to anyone. I hope you can heal, cause life is unfair. Just play the game.
Reply 7
Who are you to decide if someone needs extra time or not?!
Reply 8
How is it an 'advantage' when someone has a condition that affects how they can function? Sometimes there are compensations, such as being gifted in a particular subject, but that doesn't mean there aren't issues. Anyway, medical information is private and none of your business, and no educational organisation is going to discuss anyone else's circumstances with you. You don't know that your friend doesn't need the extra help.

If you ask the school for extra time, be prepared for them to contact your parents and ask for a formal diagnosis, backed up by evidence from a doctor...
Original post by Anonymous

Many people are diagnosed late with learning difficulties as an adult - I was myself and didn't get extra time at all in GCSE's but I do at uni :smile: All my coursework at college was coursework so it didn't matter but I did struggle. Just because your friend did fine in GCSEs is completely different to A Levels which are more intense and totally different ballpark. Also, sixth form is more independent compared to college. The coping strategies work fine until they don't :sadnod:

Also, it's not special treatment, she's clearly at a disadvantage. Any adjustments will just bring people up to a level playing field.
The process for getting extra time you need the JCQ paperwork and evidence to prove you actually have the disability to get the adjustments in place so its pretty strict. You can't just 'want extra time' to get it. You usually need to be struggling with a condition e.g. dyslexia, dyspraxia, autism, ADHD etc, which processing speed can affect. So if you're worried about any of these yourself it might be worth having a research and see your GP to see if you can get assessed/referred for assessment.:smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous

At university, if someone asked this they wouldn't be told the answer at all because it's someone's PRIVATE medical information that they've disclosed to relevant people only e.g. disability office/academic tutor, DSA. If anything the disability adjustments at uni are more stricter than sixth form because you usually have to go through DSA.

- Also, you don't know her capabilities because you are not a qualified educational psychologist.
- In the UK at 16 you are able to make and attend your own GP appointments without your parents consent.
(edited 2 months ago)
You dont just get given extra time because you asked for it.
You have to have good reason and provide evidence for said reason.
Its not something teachers just give out because a student thinks they need a bit of extra time.

And if she does get given extra time thats none of business WHY she has it. And she doesnt have to tell you.
Reply 12
Original post by FeiFeiLi
You need to mind your business
no its unfair
Reply 13
Original post by PonchoKid
You dont just get given extra time because you asked for it.
You have to have good reason and provide evidence for said reason.
Its not something teachers just give out because a student thinks they need a bit of extra time.

And if she does get given extra time thats none of business WHY she has it. And she doesnt have to tell you.
i didn't force it out of her, she told me everything. She's not proving evidence, she got told to do a writing test
Reply 14
Original post by Surnia
How is it an 'advantage' when someone has a condition that affects how they can function? Sometimes there are compensations, such as being gifted in a particular subject, but that doesn't mean there aren't issues. Anyway, medical information is private and none of your business, and no educational organisation is going to discuss anyone else's circumstances with you. You don't know that your friend doesn't need the extra help.

If you ask the school for extra time, be prepared for them to contact your parents and ask for a formal diagnosis, backed up by evidence from a doctor...
yeah except she doesn't have a condition otherwise ur point would be correct
yeah except she doesn't have a condition otherwise ur point would be correct
she doesn't have a condition you know of...
Reply 16
i never said i would call someone out. All i said was that i would ask if the option would be available to me and if i need it. Better to ask for help then sit there and do nothing
Reply 17

just an update: she got denied it. idk why everyone was getting offended abt this thread
Original post by Surnia

Let’s focus on you. If you find you need extra time and you think you may have a basis you are old enough to go to the gp alone and ask. It’s not up to your parents and you don’t need them there. Anyone at 16 can and younger too if you declare yourself Gillick competent. The idea is the a level isn’t meant to be a speed trial but ability so if you find you are running out of time you may well have a case. As for your friend, try to use this as a chance to see what is right for you and not be bothered by them. Some schools have loads of people with use of laptop and extra time but it needs to be that teachers think you deserve it and it’s your normal way of working so start soon. Good luck.
Reply 19
I don't know why anyone gets extra time at all.

Take this to its natural conclusion and someone is working for a big accountancy firm and on a very tight deadline to deliver accounts for year end. Either the dyslexic accountant is going to need a bit of extra time to deliver the work (time which doesn't exist) - in which case they not helping the firm or their client - or the dyslexic accountant doesn't need that extra time - in which case why did they get it for their GCSEs 10 years earlier?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending