The Student Room Group

Sexism is a daily reality for girls

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by HarryJames
I think you should chill out, it's a stupid joke. Also you wouldn't sack him because he'd file a law suit and win

Posted from TSR Mobile

We aren't in the US and no, he wouldn't win. There are certain ethical standards a doctor has to adhere to and when broken can lead to removal of license. If this merits is another matter, I was just stating my opinion.

And that's the point. It's all just a big joke, right?
Original post by pandabird
All I'm saying is don't disregard findings on the basis of it involving self-report. Self-report methods have been proven to be a viable measure of attitudes and personal experiences and are used in studies published in very well established journals. I think it's unfair to disregard something on the basis of it being self-report.

This for example suggests that a certain self-report assessment of discrimination is very reliable and valid- http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277953605000973

A quick search shows they can even be useful in diagnosing depression http://apm.sagepub.com/content/1/3/385.short

It is ridiculous to completely disregard something on the basis of it being self-report, especially with something concerning personal everyday experiences such as sexism. I can't really think of a way of measuring everyday sexism without using a degree of reflection and self-report.
Self-reports can be a really good measure of sexism, but obviously they can also be ****e, dependent on the questions used, obviously.

They may have asked the girls to provide frequencies of specific experiences or they may have been more general (not good). Unfortunately the website doesn't seem to provide us with the questions, but if you look at the statistics concerning harassment-

Six in ten girls have had comments shouted at them about their appearance at school (60%)

62% have been shouted or whistled at in the street about their appearance (rising to 76% of 16- to
21-year-olds).

Seven out of ten girls aged 13 and over report further experiences of sexual harassment at school or college. These include sexual jokes or taunts (51%), seeing images of girls or women that made them uncomfortable (39%), seeing rude or obscene graffiti about girls and women (33%), and unwanted sexual attention (28%) and touching (28%).

Those figures are really specific, which suggests that the questions must have been. It seems the questionnaire asked for specific experiences, rather than general notions such as 'Have you experienced verbal- harassment within the school environment?'

Obviously we can't really make a judgement, because we can't see the questionnaire, but I think it's wrong to jump to conclusions and so quickly and willingly disregard something which such strong figures on the basis of it being self-report. To me it feels like a lot of people don't want to believe it so interpret it to suit their beliefs, rather than contemplate that maybe that amount of girls do actually experience sexism.

The default position has to be the negative. As we can't see the questionnaire, and particularly because it was created by a group with an obvious bias, we have to assume that it does not successfully avoid the major flaws with self report. Anyhow, this group has previous with skewing stats to their benefit.
Reply 82
Original post by can'tbeleftblank
So do ugly girls...:frown:, it's horrible when I hear my friend say about someone, 'she's really nice! But, unfortunately, really ugly so I wouldn't't want to talk to her again'. As though being ugly makes you less human, pfft, I feel so sorry for those deemed genuinely 'ugly' because there's that stupid, untrue generalisation being perpetuated by our looks-obsessed society.

less attractive people are less attractive so others are not attracted to them. why do you feel that personal preferences should be ignored in favour of everyone being wrapped in cotton wool
Reply 83
Original post by Chief Wiggum
You would kick someone out of medical school for a joke?!

You are a very strange individual.

Not sure I need to take the guy calling a thread "pathetically stupid", because he happens to not believe in the arguments, serious.
Reply 84
Original post by danny111
You know, if I was dean at Barts I'd kick you out for comments like this tbh. Medical professionals should have the utmost ethical standards and you think this is funny?

you try too hard.....
Reply 85
Original post by 2ndClass
you try too hard.....

If only...
Reply 86
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
The default position has to be the negative. As we can't see the questionnaire, and particularly because it was created by a group with an obvious bias, we have to assume that it does not successfully avoid the major flaws with self report. Anyhow, this group has previous with skewing stats to their benefit.

You mean your default position is to be negative, because that fits your attitudes towards the whole thing?

Original post by LightBlueSoldier
You are a quite remarkably biased poster

We're all biased, let's be honest.
Reply 87
Original post by MJ1012
That's not sexist, if it was a man who was pregnant they would act the same. Men just can't get pregnant, however if a man turned up to an interview and said "I can work for 6 months but after that I'm going to have an unstated amount of time off." why the hell would they want to employ him?

Who said anything about having an unstated amount of time off? Women have to by law state, when applying for maternity leave, how long they are going to be off for.

Original post by HarryJames
Leaving your job was quite moronic. Your employer can't sack you for being pregnant

Posted from TSR Mobile

Given that you don't know why I left my job, you are hardly qualified to make that assumption.

Original post by lucaf
sacking you for being pregnant would have been illegal.

and the emboldened is a perfectly fair excuse not to hire you. why should they hire you over somebody who won't be taking time off in a few months?

They weren't trying to sack me for being pregnant, they were trying to sack me for other reason which I don't want to disclose on here. And, before you say anything, no it was not my fault.

Perfectly reasonable in my opinion.

Why?

Why should a woman have to feel like she is being made to choose between her child and her career. That is how I feel at the moment, and I know a lot of other women feel the same. Employers do not care about what a woman has to do to arrange childcare and from what I have seen and experienced, often a lot of employers make the lives of pregnant women very difficult.

Many women now have to give up their careers because the cost of childcare is too high and wages are too low. How many men would do that for their child? Not many, I can tell you that much. That's not a slight against man, but it is a very valid point. Society finds it odd that a man would choose to give up his career and become a stay at home dad and house husband. Why is it so odd that a man should do that and why is it so expected of a woman?
You know, if I was dean at Barts I'd kick you out for comments like this tbh. Medical professionals should have the utmost ethical standards and you think this is funny?

lol - I forgot that doctors are not allowed to have a sense of humour.
Original post by Gjaykay
Are you trying to claim that only men cause sexual harassment?

The keyword being 'majority'.

Yes, I do believe that the majority of sexual harassment is caused by men, towards women.

What you described is perpetuated by other men, are women the ones that pressure you to lose your virginity? Or other men?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by musketeer
Why?

Why should a woman have to feel like she is being made to choose between her child and her career. That is how I feel at the moment, and I know a lot of other women feel the same. Employers do not care about what a woman has to do to arrange childcare and from what I have seen and experienced, often a lot of employers make the lives of pregnant women very difficult.

Many women now have to give up their careers because the cost of childcare is too high and wages are too low. How many men would do that for their child? Not many, I can tell you that much. That's not a slight against man, but it is a very valid point. Society finds it odd that a man would choose to give up his career and become a stay at home dad and house husband. Why is it so odd that a man should do that and why is it so expected of a woman?

As a woman you're 100% in your right to have children but I also believe it's 100% in the employers' rights not to fund your pregnancy. It's not even guaranteed that you'd return and work for the company hence it's potentially a wasted invested. If I'm trying to get my business started and I have two potential employees, one that would actually be there while the will maybe come back after an X amount of time, which would be more beneficial to my business?
Reply 91
Original post by shiggydiggy
lol - I forgot that doctors are not allowed to have a sense of humour.

Would you be fine with a doctor making racist jokes in public? If yes, what's wrong with you, and if no, why is that worse than sexist jokes?

I never said anything about what they do on their own in private. But they have to uphold certain ethical standards and imo making insulting jokes in public doesn't cut it. At the very least it is poor taste.

So it's not that you forgot, you didn't understand.
Perfectly reasonable in my opinion.

Although most would agree it is perfectly reasonable to do so given the prospective cost to the business what seems very, very silly is to announce it in the interview and thus open yourselves up to a lawsuit likely for a lot more, plus the associated legal fees.

It's like closing a small window because of a draft then opening the front door wide.
Another victim thread, same posters on both sides, as usual.

Do you lot not get bored of this ****?
Reply 94
Original post by Gjaykay
....So?

Ugly guys getting treated like scum is a daily reality.

Everyone's got it rough one way or another.

"Ugly" girls/women and "attractive" girls/women are all subject to sexual harassment on the daily. Have you read through the Everyday Sexism feed?
Reply 95
Original post by Le Nombre
Although most would agree it is perfectly reasonable to do so given the prospective cost to the business what seems very, very silly is to announce it in the interview and thus open yourselves up to a lawsuit likely for a lot more, plus the associated legal fees.

It's like closing a small window because of a draft then opening the front door wide.

I'm not well versed when it comes to maternity leave and the laws that surround it, so correct me if I'm wrong. Does the government reimburse businesses for the salaries they give to women on maternity leave, or is that a cost totally incurred by the business?
Would you be fine with a doctor making racist jokes in public? If yes, what's wrong with you, and if no, why is that worse than sexist jokes?

I never said anything about what they do on their own in private. But they have to uphold certain ethical standards and imo making insulting jokes in public doesn't cut it. At the very least it is poor taste.

So it's not that you forgot, you didn't understand.

Oh, please. Stop throwing a hissy fit and recognise a joke when you see one.
Reply 97
As a woman you're 100% in your right to have children but I also believe it's 100% in the employers' rights not to fund your pregnancy. It's not even guaranteed that you'd return and work for the company hence it's potentially a wasted invested. If I'm trying to get my business started and I have two potential employees, one that would actually be there while the will maybe come back after an X amount of time, which would be more beneficial to my business?

Yeah, I get what you're saying but my point is for all the employer knows, I would only take the 6 weeks off I am required to by law. These aren't business that are getting started either, these are huge global companies. They aren't exactly poor when they're giving out huge bonuses to their executives who, oddly enough, happen to mostly be men. Do you see where I'm coming from here? It's hugely unfair. Would a man who had to take 6 weeks off for personal reasons not get the job? Doubtful, they would just work around him.
Original post by pandabird
You mean your default position is to be negative, because that fits your attitudes towards the whole thing?

We're all biased, let's be honest.

No. It's basic logical theory. Unless there is evidence for a positive assertion we assume it to be wrong. And yes we are all biased. You are just remarkably biased.
Reply 99
Original post by musketeer

Why?

well why should the employer care? they give you money, you do a job. if you choose to have a child and not do that job, why should that not count against you? there were other people after the jobs that would not be taking maternity leave immediately after training, why on earth would an employer pick you over them?

as for people thinking it is odd for men to give up their careers to become a house husband, that is clearly at least (if not more) sexist against men as it is for women. the best way to combat this is obviously to make paternity leave rights equal to maternity leave rights. currently it simply makes no sense for a man to stay at home to look after the baby when he gets less paid time off than his wife would.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending