The Student Room Group

If a group were campaigning about an issue what would make you listen ? ?

The question is in the title. What would make you listen ? ?
Reply 1
100% solid indisputable proof

In my experience most campagins and protests are based on opinion or belief, which is fine for those who believe it.

Also id be more inclined to listen if the points were not being forced upon me, or yelled hysterically across the street, really convincing me lol.
Reply 2
if somebody i trusted was fronting it... Ms Lumley for instance.

if it was somebody like Mr Fry i would automatically vote against it.
Original post by the bear

Lol :P
Reply 4
Original post by ConsiderScience
Lol :P

or that weird biologist bloke who is always on tv.
Reply 5
I am likely to disregard any group using a public space to campaign. When I am in the city, I am there either on business or leisure. I don't want to be bothered at that moment with someone's personal cause. I stay well informed by reading articles, current events, blogs and etc. A well written position is the way to get my attention.
Reply 6
Original post by ConsiderScience
The question is in the title. What would make you listen ? ?

If it was politically unbiased, or attempting to be, I would listen.

If it was too left-wing or right-wing, using this as a way to gather more emotional support, I would begin to hate the campaign. If the issue was based on raw facts and the actual consequences of a problem I would listen and be able to decide for myself.
Original post by the bear

I think it's important to filter evidence and check things yourself against factual sources, regardless of who is saying it - there have been so many times in the past when apparently credible people said things which later turned out to be wrong.
Chocolate bribes :colone:

I agree about the Joanna Lumley comment, though.
Reply 9
A loud hailer.
A mixture of the previously-mentioned reasons. Evidence is a helpful thing to provide, and attempts to provide crap evidence puts me off even if the argument seems solid. I'm also unlikely to support anything which is causing me inconvenience; even if the idea is a good one, blocking off a road to protest or driving your cars slowly around a roundabout is just irritating.

NIMBYism also bugs me.

Positive things would include a well-organised and well-presented argument without dozens of holes in it, a rational rather than emotional focus and possibly a donkey or two.
Reply 11
Unbiased is the one for me too. So many protests are so ill-informed and just full of lefty students attempting to be the next Yoko Ono.
Reply 12
Original post by LukeM90
100% solid indisputable proof

In my experience most campagins and protests are based on opinion or belief, which is fine for those who believe it.

Someone isn't a scientist :tongue:

Answering the question, someone with a respectable opinion.
Reply 13
A bunch of scantily clad attractive girls normally works. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by The_Duck
Someone isn't a scientist :tongue:

Answering the question, someone with a respectable opinion.

I'm not nor claim to be, I just find it hard to be convinced by claims based on very little, or infact someones own account,

I like to trust people but so many people make that hard, I perfer to have my own ways and beliefs I chose myself, if however I feel that someones cause appeals to me, stands for somthing I believe etc then I'm more likely to learn more,

but far too many people just want the attention, or want to look good doing somthing if you ask me, but im probably just cynical,

respectable opinion? isnt that quite subjective lol? im sure lots of people disagree with 90% or more of what I say, but thats not the point of a forum, I'm merely offering oppinions on what I believe, just as you are yours, its perfectly acceptible,

just because more than half the population of this forum sides with one oppinion or another, doesnt make it right or infact wrong,

I perfer to dig a little deeper before making my mind up,
A kidnapping. If I or one of my relatives were to be kidnapped I would definitely listen.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
A kidnapping. If I or one of my relatives were to be kidnapped I would definitely listen.

I don't even know how to respond to that.....
I always listen, but as for actually getting me to do something that's a different issue completely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending