The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

'Fat' Comments Should Be Illegal

Scroll to see replies

So should 'skinny' comments...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
I hate it when people say jennifer lawrence is fat, she hardly fat at all, if shes fat then all the women in my family are obese.

I actually think shes a very attractive woman, and a great actress!

that aside people will always be made to feel bad by the media, wether it be because they are too fat, too thin, too average,

As long as you can be happy in your own skin it shouldnt matter what anyone else thinks.
I actually think it should be made illegal just because the ways the media would avoid it would be hilarious.

"X looked stunning on the red carpet last night with her greater than average body size amongst models."
What did your mum do when I told her it was chilly outside?

She ran outside with a spoon..
hehehe
Too much political incorrect jokes, then we'd have to ban ginger jokes, and sexist jokes, make bullying fat people illegal (which it is) by all means, banter I fine though
I can see where she's coming from. She's gets called fat by the media all the time. If she's being called fat, when she's actually quite fit, what hope does that have for girls who are her size or slightly more? I'm much more curvier than her, so if she's fat, then that must make me obese :rolleyes:

I think she's just trying to prevent the media ***** from degrading other people's looks, which is fair on her part.
Reply 45
Obviously it shouldn't be illegal, but equally obviously the media has some serious issues.
Reply 46
Original post by euphrosyne
I can see where she's coming from. She's gets called fat by the media all the time. If she's being called fat, when she's actually quite fit, what hope does that have for girls who are her size or slightly more? I'm much more curvier than her, so if she's fat, then that must make me obese :rolleyes:

I think she's just trying to prevent the media ***** from degrading other people's looks, which is fair on her part.

So desecrating free speech for her own selfish reasons is justified? If she can't handle being a celebrity then she should stop acting like one.
Nope. Though, unlike others, I don't see compulsive eating as any worse than forced starvation. They're both unhealthy ways of dealing with issues.

I'm equally respectful to an anorexic or an obese person.
Reply 48
Original post by aranexus
I don't think the word 'Fat' should be illegal to use; it can easily be replaced with another word.. say umm.. 'Phat'

PAWG anyone? :rolleyes:

Fatties have got to learn their place is on the treadmill.
Reply 49
It's a little over the top to say that it should be illegal, however I see where she's coming from.

The younger generations are going to grow up thinking that they're fat and ugly or whatever because of the way that the media portrays beauty.

Most of the time, those considered a normal weight are underweight, which is no healthier than being overweight.

In my view the media just need to stop promoting unhealthiness and stop calling people fat when they're not.
Seriously if Jennifer Lawrence is considered fat, then there's something wrong with people's perception of weight.

Anyway, the use of the word fat shouldn't be illegal. As long as it's used appropriately, as in when people actually are fat, then I don't really see a problem with it.
Reply 50
Original post by That Bearded Man
I don't promote unhealthy lifestyle, but I don't think they should be dehumanised for being overweight either. Why do you mock them? It's not as if your cruel attitude towards them will motivate to do work, it'll just isolate them more and encourage them to be more antisocial.

And don't call them fatties FFS

If you're saying that obesity is fine and dandy then you are promoting an unhealthy lifestyle.
illegal? definitely not.

but I do think we should be more careful about how and when we use terms like "fat", people are overweight for any number of reasons, it's fine to make a joke about things every now and then, but I do think there is a limit, for some people being laughed at for being "fat" will just make things worse for their health (mentally and physically) so I really do think more consideration should be given to how we use language about people being overweight, most of them would probably benefit from care and consideration a lot more than being made fun of like any group of people.

I really despise the whole "fat bashing" nature of our society, it's really not okay imo for people to persecute and have a go at people just because of how they look and such, it also says a lot about the mindset of those that do that their use of language is pretty much interchangeable with homophobes, racists, etc...
people willing to trade freedom for "not getting their feelings hurt" deserve neither.
Reply 53
Original post by Kiss
Fatties have got to learn their place is on the treadmill.

Do they do industrial strength treadmills? :u:
Original post by Kiss
If you're saying that obesity is fine and dandy then you are promoting an unhealthy lifestyle.

I don't think obesity is fine, the health risks associated with it are enormous.

That said, this doesn't equate to it being acceptable to bully them into losing weight, where most of them won't be able to and will become depressed.
Original post by pandabird
The media does not call Jennifer Lawrence fat the media loves her and she can't do any wrong in their eyes. She's kicking up a fuss over nothing.

Why should we show tolerance for fat people? It's a massive, expensive epidemic that's costing us millions a year. No we should not show toleration for it.

And the cigarette analogy is so stupid. The reason smoking is regulated in film is because we don't want to increase cigarette use and addiction. We don't want to show tolerance for it. Banning fat comments does the absolute reverse to something as equally as damaging as cigarettes, it shows tolerance for obesity.

I don't understand, I find it so incomprehensible that we show such a judgemental intolerance and disdain for people with drug and alcohol addiction, when we're told to show complete acceptance for fat people. Look at how Nigella is being treated by society for her cocaine addiction. Yet people like Adele are adored for their addiction to food.

When will the government crack down on obesity? Not even obesity, they should crack down on being overweight, crack down on the overconsumption of food in general.
It is not normal for humans to be overweight, it is costly and signifies everything wrong with the western world- greed and lack of control.

Agreed entirely.
let the free market sort it out
Original post by Kiss
.................or so Jennifer Lawrence would have us believe:

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25427990

First time I read this I actually thought it was a joke because of how ridiculous it is, but then I realised our government might actually be stupid and PC enough to enforce something like 'weightism' or 'fatism'.

I mean come on, if the word 'fat' is made into a new offensive hate word then how is anyone going to be able to describe things anymore? People like Lawrence don't understand the long term consequences of their propositions because they're selfish and just want short-term relief for some troubles they receive now and then.

This almost makes me wish Globogym was a real thing:

You don't understand because you have the privilege of not being fat. The privilege of looking after yourself, eating properly and exercising. Instead of letting yourself go so much.
Reply 58
Original post by KimKallstrom
You don't understand because you have the privilege of not being fat. The privilege of looking after yourself, eating properly and exercising. Instead of letting yourself go so much.

That isn't 'privilege', it's just good habit. If anything, fatties are privileged way more than the next person because of how much food they eat when compared with people starving all over the world.
Reply 59
I agree with you Kiss, that fat comments should be illegal.

Latest

Trending

Trending