The Student Room Group

The Sci-Fi/Fantasy Geeks Society

Scroll to see replies

Jayk Bakner
Really? Blimey...well, I suppose Jordan isn't to everyone's taste :biggrin:

Heh. I don't have the patience to read 578347685454 books lol :biggrin: My friend loved them though. Maybe I'll give them another chance.

New Harry Potter! *FLAIL* I'm counting the days.
JaneThePain
I remember attempting the Wheel of Time, but in all honesty I didn't like it :/ Trudi Canavan's books are excellent, I'd really rec. them!

Woah, dude... seriously? Man, they're among the best books I've ever read :biggrin: And I enjoyed Canavan's stuff, too!

I guess you can't like everything... but WoT is brilliant :p:.
Reply 1182
Definitely! Wheel Of Time, up to at least book 6 is all great. Then it slows down a bit in my opinion, but 9 picks up again. 10 is a disappointment, and i haven;t read 11 yet... Any mini-reviews here?
Reply 1183
Book 11 is pretty good, but doesn't get much further with the actual story.
New Spring is very good, 'tis a prologue about Moiraine and Lan.
Any one know when 12 is out yet??
Reply 1184
Cheers.
I read an interview, and i seem to recall he said sometime mid-2007. He also said it would be the last one, even if it had to be 2000 pages.
Book 11 is great! The story itself doesnt advance too much further - just some more preparation for T'armon Gaidon :biggrin:

It's actually a lot more pacey, and there's a sence of culmination in it. Definitely worth the money :biggrin:

Book 12 shouldn't take too much longer, but as RJ has contracted amyloidosis, I don't know whether it'll slow him down or not. Reasonably, it must do, but he said himself that he'll do his best to finish off WoT.
Reply 1186
Wow, trying to get my head round how he could possibly tie together all those loose ends.
If he's saying mid 07 guess I'll be waiting 'till 08 judging from past performances *fumes*
sorry not renownwed for my patience!
Trust me, I never believe what they tell me. Be it books, or Final Fantasy games, I always add on at least 7 months to the published released date. I've never been pleasantly surprised with on-time releases :p:.

I've been waiting for A Sword from Red Ice by J. V. Jones since September 2003 - yet every three months, they've pushed the boundary back. Even today, it's still not due for ages, I don't think. *sighs*
Reply 1188
Randon post:

Was flicking through tv and saw film and clicked to see what was about and had to watch as it had Corin Nemec in it and i have to say it is one of the worst films ever made!

It was called SS Doomtrooper and is meant to be a sci fi thriller, which sounds good, only good thing bout it was Corin :p:
Reply 1189
AlexG
Randon post:

Was flicking through tv and saw film and clicked to see what was about and had to watch as it had Corin Nemec in it and i have to say it is one of the worst films ever made!

It was called SS Doomtrooper and is meant to be a sci fi thriller, which sounds good, only good thing bout it was Corin :p:

Haha! OMG, I watched that too! It had a vaguely interesting title (I frequently go for movies based solely on their title :biggrin:), but it was indeed pants. At least it made me laugh ;grin;
Reply 1190
Jayk Bakner
Haha! OMG, I watched that too! It had a vaguely interesting title (I frequently go for movies based solely on their title :biggrin:), but it was indeed pants. At least it made me laugh ;grin;

I totally agree! I only flicked it on cause the title, then watched it coz of Nemec, and the only good thing i have to day about it (other then Corin:biggrin: ) is that Digger guy, he made me laugh... other then that the special effects made me cringe and the German accents, yikes! lol...
Reply 1191
Yeah...there's bad effects...and then there's SS Doomtrooper ;grin;

Although, I looked it up on the IMDb, and I found this. Further amusement ensued ;grin;
Reply 1192
Jayk Bakner
Yeah...there's bad effects...and then there's SS Doomtrooper ;grin;

Although, I looked it up on the IMDb, and I found this. Further amusement ensued ;grin;

o....k... That person is delusional!!!! The only thing he was correct about was Corin and Digger, special effects, crap, and well Ben Cross was too weird in my opinion, it gave me a good laugh though... lol

I use IMDB alot and i looked SS doomtrooper up earlier and there was a fantastic comment about it being bad!... that also made me laugh...
Reply 1193
AlexG
o....k... That person is delusional!!!! The only thing he was correct about was Corin and Digger, special effects, crap, and well Ben Cross was too weird in my opinion, it gave me a good laugh though... lol

I use IMDB alot and i looked SS doomtrooper up earlier and there was a fantastic comment about it being bad!... that also made me laugh...

Yeah; I read the others. There're some truly witty folk haunting the IMDb :biggrin:

I love reading people's comments actually, particularly bad reviews of good movies. The Lord of the Rings (pick one, this applies to all of 'em) ones are particularly amusing, as they desperately scramble to justify why they think it's a bad film. Cracks me up :biggrin:
Reply 1194
Jayk Bakner
Yeah; I read the others. There're some truly witty folk haunting the IMDb :biggrin:

I love reading people's comments actually, particularly bad reviews of good movies. The Lord of the Rings (pick one, this applies to all of 'em) ones are particularly amusing, as they desperately scramble to justify why they think it's a bad film. Cracks me up :biggrin:

I can remember reading a review for Serenity written in very poor English, which somehow linked it to being a character for character copy of Star Wars. Rather than laughing, my friend and I were planning to go to Liverpool and kill the author, but we thought that was perhaps a little extreme and what with the whole going to jail afterwards, so we decided against the Idea.
Reply 1195
Pav27
I can remember reading a review for Serenity written in very poor English, which somehow linked it to being a character for character copy of Star Wars. Rather than laughing, my friend and I were planning to go to Liverpool and kill the author, but we thought that was perhaps a little extreme and what with the whole going to jail afterwards, so we decided against the Idea.

:rofl: I think I read that one!!

It's actually staggering how many people gave Serenity bad reviews...okay, so it wasn't exactly the 10/10 movie that a lot of people (mainly the more rabid variety of Browncoat) claim it is, but it's a decent, entertaining piece of film-making! The ones that amuse me the most are the ones that admit to not seeing it, and give it a bad rating because it 'f10p3d at the 80}{ off1(3, LMAO!!!!111oneoneone'.

The ones that annoy me the most are the ones that claim the special effects are crap. First off, it wasn't an effects movie, and thus they were secondary to plot and characters. And second, I'd like to see them do better with a budget of $39 million :mad:
Reply 1196
Jayk Bakner
:rofl: I think I read that one!!

It's actually staggering how many people gave Serenity bad reviews...okay, so it wasn't exactly the 10/10 movie that a lot of people (mainly the more rabid variety of Browncoat) claim it is, but it's a decent, entertaining piece of film-making! The ones that amuse me the most are the ones that admit to not seeing it, and give it a bad rating because it 'f10p3d at the 80}{ off1(3, LMAO!!!!111oneoneone'.

The ones that annoy me the most are the ones that claim the special effects are crap. First off, it wasn't an effects movie, and thus they were secondary to plot and characters. And second, I'd like to see them do better with a budget of $39 million :mad:

I agree, for the budget they had, i don't think it cudda got ne better... ne way the best thing in serenity is still the witty lines... my fav is definatley

Kaylee "And i had nothing twix my nethers for over a year now thatdon't run on batteries!"
Mal "Oh God! I can't know that!"

Now that made me laugh.... lol
Reply 1197
I've read reviews that said the special effects were poor too, I personally thought they were excellent :/.
Reply 1198
Pav27
I've read reviews that said the special effects were poor too, I personally thought they were excellent :/.

Me too, especially the scene with

Spoiler

personally i thought that was excellent...
Reply 1199
AlexG

Spoiler

/nods

Quick Reply

Latest