The Student Room Group

comparative literature personal statement

I'm struggling to write my personal statement as I can't find many examples for one with comparative literature and also because I want to apply for some English lit and creative writing degrees too as there aren't many comp lit courses in London, and I also don't have any work experience that I can write about or books relevant to either degree. The reason I need help right now is because I have to write a draft of my personal statement as part of my coursework. Should I relate my personal statement to just one of the degrees and how can I structure it without relevant work experience or not having read books related to the degrees?
Just write about your interest in literature and what you've read and analysed. You don't need to narrowly stick to texts originally written in English for (most) English literature degrees, and you can write about texts that are not from another culture/language for a comparative literature degree.

I assure you any of the books you've read could be conceivably relevant to both courses.

The creative writing angle is probably the harder one to work in there.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Just write about your interest in literature and what you've read and analysed. You don't need to narrowly stick to texts originally written in English for (most) English literature degrees, and you can write about texts that are not from another culture/language for a comparative literature degree.

I assure you any of the books you've read could be conceivably relevant to both courses.

The creative writing angle is probably the harder one to work in there.

Thank u so much for ur advice, I just wasn't sure if I could include any of the books I had read as all of the personal statements I had read so far talked only about classics.
Original post by zz86300
Thank u so much for ur advice, I just wasn't sure if I could include any of the books I had read as all of the personal statements I had read so far talked only about classics.

Contemporary literature is perfectly acceptable even for an English lit course to discuss. Obviously there is perhaps some contention about what "counts" as "literature" (although that itself is a very valid point to discuss in your PS!), but it doesn't all need to be novels and plays from before the 19th Century, and you could certainly argue against certain formulations of a "literary canon" and for inclusion of some other contemporary works which might otherwise not be considered in that vein (very often by non-Western authors). Granted I think you will struggle to make a compelling argument for e.g. including Twilight amont those, but there are other works in e.g. sci-fi and fantasy genres where there is a good case for genuine literary analysis to be done (Frank Herbert's Dune, Tolkien's works, I'd also argue Ursula K Le Guin's works particularly in terms of narrative matters, etc).
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Contemporary literature is perfectly acceptable even for an English lit course to discuss. Obviously there is perhaps some contention about what "counts" as "literature" (although that itself is a very valid point to discuss in your PS!), but it doesn't all need to be novels and plays from before the 19th Century, and you could certainly argue against certain formulations of a "literary canon" and for inclusion of some other contemporary works which might otherwise not be considered in that vein (very often by non-Western authors). Granted I think you will struggle to make a compelling argument for e.g. including Twilight amont those, but there are other works in e.g. sci-fi and fantasy genres where there is a good case for genuine literary analysis to be done (Frank Herbert's Dune, Tolkien's works, I'd also argue Ursula K Le Guin's works particularly in terms of narrative matters, etc).

Thank u so so much! U have no idea how much this has helped
Reply 5
Original post by zz86300
I'm struggling to write my personal statement as I can't find many examples for one with comparative literature and also because I want to apply for some English lit and creative writing degrees too as there aren't many comp lit courses in London, and I also don't have any work experience that I can write about or books relevant to either degree. The reason I need help right now is because I have to write a draft of my personal statement as part of my coursework. Should I relate my personal statement to just one of the degrees and how can I structure it without relevant work experience or not having read books related to the degrees?

Hi, it’s a couple months later and i’m wondering if you ended up applying for comparative literature? i haven’t seen anyone else speak about taking it ! it’s so hard to find people to talk about it with haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending