The Student Room Group

Any good sci-fi books? :)

Can anyone recommend any decent sci-fi books to add the collection?
Anything in the vein of Alastair Reynolds, Adrian Tchaikovsky, Peter F Hamilton, Martha Wells etc. is always great but any and all book recommendations much appreciated!
Reply 1
I don't know anyone of the ones you mentioned, but Isaac Asimov books are good. If you've watched iRobot then that's where that came from. It was written around 1950 but is still great.
Maybe Isaac Asimov, Vernor Vinge or Heinlein? I enjoyed The Moon is a Harsh Mistress a lot. If you're looking for something more classic, maybe A Wrinkle in Time or The Time Machine (I'm biased towards the latter because H.G. Wells is one of my favorite authors, but take it anyways :wink:)
Original post by Napp
Anything in the vein of Alastair Reynolds, Adrian Tchaikovsky, Peter F Hamilton, Martha Wells etc. is always great but any and all book recommendations much appreciated!

Given that list I’m going to presume you’re familiar with Iain M. Banks?
I haven't read them yet, but I've heard many good things about Brandon Sanderson's books. I think Skywards series is science fiction, while he also writes epic fantasy.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
Given that list I’m going to presume you’re familiar with Iain M. Banks?

Indeed, albeit i haven't read many of his ones outside of Consider Phlebas and a couple of other Culture ones - do you have any particular ones to recommend? :smile:
How about one of the original space opera works, the Lensman series by E E Doc Smith?
Original post by Napp
Indeed, albeit i haven't read many of his ones outside of Consider Phlebas and a couple of other Culture ones - do you have any particular ones to recommend? :smile:

Excession and Player of Games would be next on my list.

If you enjoy Banks then tangentially related to him is Neal Asher. He often gets labelled as a knockoff Banks, (with his 'Polity' universe being a right-leaning version of the Culture), but his books are more action/military focussed, with dashes of cyberpunk and space opera. I did eventually go off him as I found him to be quite unpleasant online, but I can't deny he can churn out page turners. The Gabble is a good place to start as it's a short story collection.

The last sci-fi that I got through and thought was absolutely cracking was Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. Stephenson did Snowcrash which was a more light-hearted cyberpunk book but Seveneves is hard sci-fi akin to someone like Baxter. It's got a really interesting central premise, (if we found out the Earth was doomed, could you get enough material into space within 20 or so months to sustain the human race), and then runs with it. It has people a bit divided as it's a) ridiculously long, (not a problem if you like Hamilton!), and b) takes a narrative jump about two thirds of the way through. I thought it was fascinating.

In terms of classic SF, Gateway by Frederik Pohl is another one that I always recommend.
Reply 8
Original post by Admit-One
Excession and Player of Games would be next on my list.

If you enjoy Banks then tangentially related to him is Neal Asher. He often gets labelled as a knockoff Banks, (with his 'Polity' universe being a right-leaning version of the Culture), but his books are more action/military focussed, with dashes of cyberpunk and space opera. I did eventually go off him as I found him to be quite unpleasant online, but I can't deny he can churn out page turners. The Gabble is a good place to start as it's a short story collection.

The last sci-fi that I got through and thought was absolutely cracking was Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. Stephenson did Snowcrash which was a more light-hearted cyberpunk book but Seveneves is hard sci-fi akin to someone like Baxter. It's got a really interesting central premise, (if we found out the Earth was doomed, could you get enough material into space within 20 or so months to sustain the human race), and then runs with it. It has people a bit divided as it's a) ridiculously long, (not a problem if you like Hamilton!), and b) takes a narrative jump about two thirds of the way through. I thought it was fascinating.

In terms of classic SF, Gateway by Frederik Pohl is another one that I always recommend.

Thanks for the recommendations, it seems my kindle account is about to get a solid workout!
Aye ive seen Asher pop up quite a bit but never gotten around to downloading anything by him yet so i'll have a wee look now :smile:
As a matter of interest, what has he done thats unpleasant online?
Reply 9
Original post by Napp

The three body problem maybe? (but I haven't read the english translation so I have no idea if its good or not)
Reply 10
I’d recommend the expanse series brilliant books with a show to boot. Also the forever war by Joe haldeman

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending