The Student Room Group

What to say to the doctor?

I'm getting an appointment with the doctor tomorrow because I need help with my depression. It's being going on for over 4 years now and I can't cope anymore.

This is probably going to sound a bit stupid but what do I say to the doctor? I hate talking about things like this anyway, but with a stranger it's even worse. I'm pretty awkward and anxious in general, so I don't have a clue how to bring it up.

Can somebody give me help or advice on what to say to the doctor when I go in?

Thanks
Don't worry I had the same problem!
it might help to write down how you feel and then go over it a few times until you're confident you can describe your symptoms to the doctor without telling him/her your entire life story :smile:
or if you KNOW you're depressed but don't know how to describe it, just list the symptoms of depression like - no appetite - can't get enjoyment out of anything - constantly feel down - trouble sleeping etc
(for example, I sometimes can't get to sleep because it feels like there's a black hole in my stomach that's sucked in my heart and crushed it while a cinder block pushes down on my chest making breathing conscious and laboured .. But I'd feel like such a turd saying that to someone who deals with people who have cancer and other life threatening illnesses, which is what a lot of people are worried about I think (not being taken seriously) but you need to realise that depression IS a serious legitimate illness that requires treatment and there's no reason to be embarrassed!)
:smile:
Reply 2
It's hard but you just have to try to be honest. Tell him/her that you are really struggling and know you need support with feelings of depression over a long period of time , that it is no longer something you can handle on your own. Maybe make a few bullet point notes so you don't forget what you want to say or you could even give the notes to the doctor. Remember that the doctor won't be judging you, they will probably have heard people with similar issues and concerns before and they will want to do their best for you. Don't underplay the significance of it to the doctor, really be honest about your concerns. The doctor will likely ask you questions anyway so you probably won't have to think of too much to say. Don't worry it will be fine.
Reply 3
You might find this website really helpful - it's designed precisely for what you want - it lets you know what to expect, helps you compile lists of symptoms to talk about, and generally just tells you how to bring things up and know what to expect from a decent doctor. :smile:
Reply 4
Just tell the dr exactly how it is, like don't exaggerate but if its been terrible don't dim it down

Quick Reply

Latest