The Student Room Group

Woman Drops Powder in Date's Drink (Double standard through reactions)

After seeing the 'women abusing men in public' video through a thread about double standards to do with the genders hitting each other, I saw this video on the sidebar. It shows yet another double standard apparent in the reactions of the people who see the man pour powder in the woman's drink vs. the woman doing the same to the man. To top it off she does so in full view of them to ensure they catch her in the act. Of course this is staged, but the important thing here is the reactions elicited. In the 'women abusing men in public' video, most agreed on the sexism, but explained why the reactions were different in virtue of the man being able to take on the woman should things get out of hand. There is no such difference in the severity or even implied severity of either act this time. Both the man and woman pour a powder in their date's drink which affects them in much the same way.

Thoughts?

By the way, I understand these threads goad feminists into defending themselves and others painting them as the cause of the sexism against men in society. This is not about feminism, but double standards still prevalent in society that are not very talked about beyond sites like TSR. However, while I appreciate that 'not all feminists are like that,' what I don't understand is why reactions like these are not more highlighted and fought against. It would benefit both men and women in the fight for equality as men wouldn't be seen as aggressors and women as victims. Yes I know some feminists say they do support this but bar a little lip service, I haven't seen much in the way of support.

[video="youtube;-57-i1S95Kk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-57-i1S95Kk[/video]
(edited 10 years ago)
Link please?
Reply 2
Original post by Ade9000
Link please?

Apologies. The link is up now. :smile:
Watched the video and it takes the stereotype of 'men = aggressor and women = passive' to dangerous levels.

The first group of men who did nothing and joked about the guy getting drugged is quite sickening. The second guy was just afraid, why is beyond me. I don't understand why they didn't speak up. My guess is that they thought the female was very attractive and if they had sex, then he wouldn't care. It reinforces the mentality that men love sex, even if it's against their will. This is dangerous as it results in woman getting away with crimes. What if she planned on stealing from him, or killing him? Perhaps the woman who spoke up understood that and acted as such. Even if you don't hear much about woman date-raping men, if we want to bring equality, we must address the double standards regardless of how rare one behaviour may be.

I'd like to believe that feminism is working to break the stereotype and highlight the double standards that affect women AND men. Also, as men, we need to play our part in this issue as well, since the video showed that men uphold this stereotype just as much as women.
This is something that I dont think feminism addresses, the fact that women and men are treated very differently sometimes and there are some areas where there is definitely not equality.
Reply 5
Original post by DirtyHarry01
This is something that I dont think feminism addresses, the fact that women and men are treated very differently sometimes and there are some areas where there is definitely not equality.

they love to shift the goalposts of equality on pretty much every issue.
Reply 6
Men must find a voice and rebel against their gender role, that is, things like being expected to always want sex. I think our generation are doing that quite well as the backlash against feminism gathers pace.
One thing I noticed is 2 people at most saw the woman do it. When the man spiked the woman's drink, nearly everyone there saw it.

I wonder if some of them only spoke up because others did first
Double standards are a part of life. Feminists moan all day and night that a woman who sleeps around is a slut, a man who does is ok.

Well if a guy is getting hit by his girlfriend everyone laughs, no one would help him and call the police I bet anything. But if vice versa occurs people intervene REGARDLESS of any "she deserved it" or whatever. And the guy ends up in prison most likely.

Hardly my original idea-youtube videos like this all over the place.

My point is double standards are commonplace-but men don't have a hardcore bunch of activists to really scream until someone notices. And sadly feminists have proven they care for equality-as long as that equality doesn't involve it for men. I'm not wrong in saying that with the above slut argument, how many feminists have then gone on to say "a 21 year old guy say who is a virgin shouldn't be ridiculed whereas a woman it is more acceptable".

It is clear that feminism is really picky. So many examples-my other thread talks of meninism.D
http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3rsmtv

Disclaimer; I know the vast majority of women want equality. I'm sure the vast majority of women the above virgin or not argument doesn't apply to them. I'm talking about the vocal feminist lobby rather than those who just identify as a feminist if that makes sense. In other words, I am aware many feminists this may not apply to-I know this and I'm only criticising the ones that it DOES apply to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending