The Student Room Group

The Kids slang- Hench, Mirin, etc- How they come about?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EatMyJunk
'hench' is meaningless if you havent already been explained what it means- as it seems there is no logical trian of thought to it.

It probably does have some sort of meaning otherwise no one would bother using it!
Reply 41
Original post by chocolatesauce
It probably does have some sort of meaning otherwise no one would bother using it!

yes but its a random word to get to that meaning - it would be like me saying ok today the word for happy is 'wonkey' . Do you feel wonkey?
Original post by Padwas
there are exceptions

blood is now used instead of friends that is not an abbreviation its slang

Obviously not, 'blood' in my opinion is metaphorically showing some sort of strong connection betweent two people. Sort of like saying brother from another mother but they are not blood related hence the word blood and I doubt that's how you spell it.
Reply 43
Obviously not, 'blood' in my opinion is metaphorically showing some sort of strong connection betweent two people. Sort of like saying brother from another mother but they are not blood related hence the word blood and I doubt that's how you spell it.

a guy said whats up blod to me on his first day at school lol
yes but its a random word to get to that meaning - it would be like me saying ok today the word for happy is 'wonkey' . Do you feel wonkey?

I don't feel very wonkey about your explanation : p there has to be some sort of logical explanation. You can't just come up with a random word and hope it trends. It kind of has to be like the Harlem Shake. If people enjoy it they will use it.
Original post by Padwas
a guy said whats up blod to me on his first day at school lol

Perhaps it is being overused like the word 'love' or 'hate'. Maybe be it will soon be eradicated from the English language just like Shakespearean words.
Reply 46
I don't feel very wonkey about your explanation : p there has to be some sort of logical explanation. You can't just come up with a random word and hope it trends. It kind of has to be like the Harlem Shake. If people enjoy it they will use it.

if i was offered the choice to use 'hence to describe 'built' or 'shredded' - i wouldnt, becuase it didnt make any sense - but then i guess i dont think like a yoot anymore. what about "he looks tanked" bruv (ie he looks built like a tank) Are you wonkey with that?
Reply 47
Perhaps it is being overused like the word 'love' or 'hate'. Maybe be it will soon be eradicated from the English language just like Shakespearean words.

i hope so recently it seems bruv is making a comeback
if i was offered the choice to use 'hence to describe 'built' or 'shredded' - i wouldnt, becuase it didnt make any sense - but then i guess i dont think like a yoot anymore. what about "he looks tanked" bruv (ie he looks built like a tank) Are you wonkey with that?

What's a yoot? I think you mean 'he looks pimp' or ' he's a spice' which means he's hot. Get it? These are commonly used phrases I hear.... I am moderately wonky with that :smile:
Original post by Padwas
i hope so recently it seems bruv is making a comeback

To be honest, I couldn't care less as I never use that phrase.
Reply 50
To be honest, I couldn't care less as I never use that phrase.

good neither do i
load of crap in my opinion
Reply 51
mirin - zyzz :colone:
Original post by Padwas
good neither do i
load of crap in my opinion

I wouldn't say its a load of crap, It's almost like code language, I would do it if it meant my parents couldn't understand hehe
Reply 53
I wouldn't say its a load of crap, It's almost like code language, I would do it if it meant my parents couldn't understand hehe

have you ever had someone come up to you and say
what up bruv you good AWKWARD
Reply 54
What's a yoot? I think you mean 'he looks pimp' or ' he's a spice' which means he's hot. Get it? These are commonly used phrases I hear.... I am moderately wonky with that :smile:

No sorry, 'pimp' sounds well fatwan (wrong), as if hes some sort of russian sex-trafficer. im sticking with 'tanked' Or maybe 'gamma' as in gamma-radiation infused Incredible Hulk. I will also be well wonkey when the kids start using my phrases on fb and tsr next term, just wait and see..
(edited 10 years ago)
It depends where your from, here in Essex (the bits away from East London) you rarely hear any of that Caribbean inspired slang nonsense, however things like Towie have been influential (the most obvious case 'reem').

By the way, to the OP and others wondering how 'hench' came about. It did originate from the term 'henchman' - this term although now commonly associated with criminal gang violent thugs, actually originally meant an ''attendant' or a 'page/groom'.
Reply 56

'blood' came fromm jamaican immgrant use of the cuss or insult 'bludclot' chavs, being chavs misinterpreted this as a term of endearment between each other
Reply 57
Original post by Oschene23
It depends where your from, here in Essex (the bits away from East London) you rarely hear any of that Caribbean inspired slang nonsense, however things like Towie have been influential (the most obvious case 'reem').

By the way, to the OP and others wondering how 'hench' came about. It did originate from the term 'henchman' - this term although now commonly associated with criminal gang violent thugs, actually originally meant an ''attendant' or a 'page/groom'.

Yeah thats what id guessed, but it was a bit tenuous. i would think essex gets its slag influence still from rhyming slang etc from the cockneys that moved there from east london, apart from things like 'reem' from dimwits like joey essex
Reply 58
A lot of it comes from Caribbean- and Indian-English, from minority ethnic groups in British cities. Unfortunately, a lot of people from these backgrounds are generally poorer, and subcultures develop characteristic traits that aid identification. A lot of art and media especially music comes out of less well-off backgrounds so we get this influx of slang. We still have a big American import though.
Original post by Padwas
have you ever had someone come up to you and say
what up bruv you good AWKWARD

No but I've had other stuff said to me but it doesn't matter becaus they meant it well....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending