The Student Room Group

Public Law Essay Help!

Okay, let's say country A launches an attack on country B, the Foreign Secretary of B admits in public that the Foreign Office civil servants who had been monitoring the events in A, had mistakenly assured him that there was no chance of such a military attack ever happening. B's PM decides to take the peaceful approach but the Foreign Secretary says on live television, he is personally in favour of an armed response to deal with the military attack, but that such an option is not realistic because of his department’s policy of scaling down the armed forces. The television interview is quite a heated one, with the Foreign Secretary storming out of the interview half way through, having sworn at the interviewer.
Should the Foreign Secretary resign?
Any ideas guys, links to English Law would be much appreciated. This is my first year and my first essay, I have no idea what to do!
Original post by KMLeeson
Okay, let's say country A launches an attack on country B, the Foreign Secretary of B admits in public that the Foreign Office civil servants who had been monitoring the events in A, had mistakenly assured him that there was no chance of such a military attack ever happening. B's PM decides to take the peaceful approach but the Foreign Secretary says on live television, he is personally in favour of an armed response to deal with the military attack, but that such an option is not realistic because of his department’s policy of scaling down the armed forces. The television interview is quite a heated one, with the Foreign Secretary storming out of the interview half way through, having sworn at the interviewer.
Should the Foreign Secretary resign?
Any ideas guys, links to English Law would be much appreciated. This is my first year and my first essay, I have no idea what to do!

Ministerial Code: Collective responsibility. Read up on that. And then say whether his promises were binding in law. Find a few cases to back it up. Also, there is an executive prerogative in there so the question may require that you discuss that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending