The Student Room Group

A Levels - will i cope?

Hi all, i am 16 and have just started my A levels. I am currently really concerned that the workload will be too much for me to handle, my law teachers have said the Law A level is harder than a Law degree! I am expected to be able to write 5 pages for a 30 mark law essay in 30 minutes - i struggle to write a pages work in my english gcse. I am autistic so i do not cope well under stress, but i am quite good academically (i got 87777665 in GCSEs). i was previously planning on doing a L3 horticulture BTEC for a year and then do A levels afterwards, but the college removed the BTEC from the course list. I really struggle with motivating myself to do things and the 15 hours of independent study i am expected to do per week will be so hard for me to get myself to do. I also have to catch the train to college and then walk 45 minutes there. I am new to public transport so this is another stress factor. I am really worried that i will end up breaking down at the end of year 1 due to stress and quitting with no qualifications. I am considering 4 options, 1. Stick it out and just do all 3 a levels (risky option) ; 2. Swapping 2 of my A levels to not very respected but maybe less stressful A levels ; 3. Swap to a BTEC in countryside management ; 4. Do an apprenticeship . I know these all sound random but i just need some advice, preferably from someone who is not judgemental, i dont really care much about Uni i just want to be happy

Maybe im overthinking this maybe ill be fine but i dont know, a lot of stuff has happened this year that has been very overwhelming and i dont want to push myself over the edge
(edited 7 months ago)
i'm not sure if law A level is more difficult or easier than a law degree

with practice, do you think you can write five pages in thirty minutes?

to motivate yourself, do you divide your independent study in increments, such as 30 minutes of study then a break?

before college classes begin, could you practice taking a train there?
Hi! I just started Year 13 and had a similar feeling when I started Year 12.
Are you able to get access arrangements/do you already have them? I struggle with motivation too, I was able to get 25% extra time, it helped me so much.
A-Levels are typically harder than degrees, but also, your Law teacher might be pushing too hard, if you're able to I'd try to ask around. 5 Pages in 30 minutes seems like so much I don't blame you for getting stressed over that, definitely check that. That being said I don't take A-Level Law so I'm not sure if I'm able to help you much on that one (maybe switch Law out if you feel it's not suited for you?).
With independent study I find it's easier if you stay in school or if you program yourself to have a designated work space, for example only use one corner of your room for work. It sounds dumb but I've been doing this for a while and it's got to the point were if I'm that designated work space I just start thinking of work or doing work absent minded. I also find white noise/documentaries/shows etc just playing in the background while I'm working helps. Use most of your frees as well, that takes a chunk of time off of the 15 hours.
As for public transport, just practice. Get on buses/trains, get your parents/siblings/friends to travel to places you want to go, eg. If you have a day out planned ask them if they'd be willing to use public transport, if not try taking it alone. I used to really struggle with the idea of going on public transport but after a few times it got so much easier, bring earphones with you if you don't bring a pair with you already.
I can't tell you what option to pick, A-Levels just aren't for some people, if I were you I would honestly stick it out a bit longer and try to adjust, if you feel like you can't adjust and it's too much after a while then I would consider other options. I find it gets better once you have adjusted and routined yourself.
Reply 3
Original post by Yellowcatz
Hi all, i am 16 and have just started my A levels. I am currently really concerned that the workload will be too much for me to handle, my law teachers have said the Law A level is harder than a Law degree! I am expected to be able to write 5 pages for a 30 mark law essay in 30 minutes - i struggle to write a pages work in my english gcse. I am autistic so i do not cope well under stress, but i am quite good academically (i got 87777665 in GCSEs). i was previously planning on doing a L3 horticulture BTEC for a year and then do A levels afterwards, but the college removed the BTEC from the course list. I really struggle with motivating myself to do things and the 15 hours of independent study i am expected to do per week will be so hard for me to get myself to do. I also have to catch the train to college and then walk 45 minutes there. I am new to public transport so this is another stress factor. I am really worried that i will end up breaking down at the end of year 1 due to stress and quitting with no qualifications. I am considering 4 options, 1. Stick it out and just do all 3 a levels (risky option) ; 2. Swapping 2 of my A levels to not very respected but maybe less stressful A levels ; 3. Swap to a BTEC in countryside management ; 4. Do an apprenticeship . I know these all sound random but i just need some advice, preferably from someone who is not judgemental, i dont really care much about Uni i just want to be happy

Maybe im overthinking this maybe ill be fine but i dont know, a lot of stuff has happened this year that has been very overwhelming and i dont want to push myself over the edge

What support do you get for your additional needs? What do you want to do after school?
The claim that law A level is harder than degree is absolute rubbish. No A level subject is harder than the same one at undergraduate level.

Quick Reply

Latest