The Student Room Group

Why Should Men Get Married Today?

Women have decided to change society over the past 40-50 years. We now have widespread premarital sex, no-fault divorce, and a divorce rate of nearly 50%.

Women have changed the rules so their traditional obligations in marriage are now considered sexist, misogynist abuse, and women no longer need to provide any sex whatsoever to their husbands. Many women delay marriage as long as possible, only seeking a husband in their late 20s or early 30s when their looks are fading and fertility is running out.

Meanwhile men's traditional obligations to provide for his family continue even if the wife has an affair and then divorces him. He will get kicked out of his house, lose his children, and be forced to pay alimony and child support. Women continue expecting a man to propose with a diamond engagement ring, even though this practice only started because of a marketing campaign by the De Beers Diamond Company in the 1930s to increase profits.

Society traditionally recognised that women want marriage more than men and so incentivised men to get married through various ways. Women were strongly encouraged to remain virgins until marriage, husbands and fathers were looked up to as the head of the household, wives and children took their husband's surname, etc.

Feminists decided that this was all oppression so have sought to change all this - as seen by the thread on Women keeping their surname. They also expected that men wouldn't change their behaviour in response to this - but men have. Men are increasingly reluctant to get married and men are telling each other what a terrible deal marriage is for men today.

Women can change marriage all they like, but why should men still want to get married? Why should high quality men get married today? What benefits does a man get in marriage that he can't get outside of marriage? Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unless you are religious marriage is completely and utterly pointless imo, everything that you can get from marriage you can also have without marriage.
Reply 2
Original post by Machop
Unless you are religious marriage is completely and utterly pointless imo, everything that you can get from marriage you can also have without marriage.

Apart from assorted legal rights, if and when the relationship comes to an end. There are legal responsibilities too, but my guess is that some here don't care about that.

Original post by drake10
high quality men

Your ego called, and it is enjoying the trip.
Reply 3
Do not forget that while marital rape is illegal, in a divorce "failure to provide a woman with sex" is deemed domestic abuse by the man... in fact, if the woman even has an affair, that can be labelled domestic abuse by the man too due to "not attending to her needs"...

This is worse in America but spreading over here.

Men, do not get married. It's as simple as that, vote with your feet. Even if you trust her, it's just too risky. Merely cohabit with your partner until you die, you can have a wedding ceremony if you like.
Reply 4
Original post by unprinted
Apart from assorted legal rights, if and when the relationship comes to an end. There are legal responsibilities too, but my guess is that some here don't care about that.

Exactly, it's just turned into a legal contract now more than anything. Divorce rates also have rocketed and typically it's the man who stands to lose everything. You'd have to be crazy to get married without a prenup
Reply 5
I agree with you. There is no point in having a marriage at all. If you want to have a wedding ceremony, then do so. You could even go around referring to yourself as man and wife if you really want to, but making it official is a big no no. There's zero benefit to getting married.
There's no way I'm getting married. I'm not letting some scank walk away with half of my property and money due to sexist and misandrist laws.
Reply 7
If you mess with an established equilibrium, then you got to expect fallout on both sides...
(edited 10 years ago)
This gonna be good :clap2:
Reply 9
I am particularly amused that so many of them don't consider that it might be them who lose out when a non-marriage relationship ends.
Reply 10
Apart from assorted legal rights, if and when the relationship comes to an end.

Legal rights for the woman to kick the husband out of the house, take half his money and receive alimony - despite being able to get a job and provide for herself! That's not a good reason for men to get married! :rolleyes:

The reason I ask 'why should high quality men get married?' is because these are the men that women want to marry. Women don't care whether poor, low status men want to get married or not.

Furthermore, high quality, desirable men are the ones who have the least to gain and most to lose from marriage. These are the guys who have lots of options and can fairly easily get sex from various women outside of marriage. These are the rich, successful men who have a lot of money to lose in a divorce.

From this thread it looks like modern women are going to have a really difficult time finding a desirable man to marry them when they finally decide they want to get married in their late twenties. It seems safe to predict that many of the women in the other thread saying that they plan to keep their surname are right - because no man will want to marry them.

I'm going to invest in cat food companies in anticipation for the rise of single, childless spinsters buying lots of cats to keep them company in their lonely old age! :biggrin:
Original post by Machop

There are some tax benefits too, particularly inheritance (being married is worth 325,000 there).

Because they want to OP?
Reply 12
Original post by drake10
Women have decided to change society over the past 40-50 years. We now have widespread premarital sex, no-fault divorce, and a divorce rate of nearly 50%.

Women have changed the rules so their traditional obligations in marriage are now considered sexist, misogynist abuse, and women no longer need to provide any sex whatsoever to their husbands. Many women delay marriage as long as possible, only seeking a husband in their late 20s or early 30s when their looks are fading and fertility is running out.

Meanwhile men's traditional obligations to provide for his family continue even if the wife has an affair and then divorces him. He will get kicked out of his house, lose his children, and be forced to pay alimony and child support. Women continue expecting a man to propose with a diamond engagement ring, even though this practice only started because of a marketing campaign by the De Beers Diamond Company in the 1930s to increase profits.

Society traditionally recognised that women want marriage more than men and so incentivised men to get married through various ways. Women were strongly encouraged to remain virgins until marriage, husbands and fathers were looked up to as the head of the household, wives and children took their husband's surname, etc.

Feminists decided that this was all oppression so have sought to change all this - as seen by the thread on Women keeping their surname. They also expected that men wouldn't change their behaviour in response to this - but men have. Men are increasingly reluctant to get married and men are telling each other what a terrible deal marriage is for men today.

Women can change marriage all they like, but why should men still want to get married? Why should high quality men get married today? What benefits does a man get in marriage that he can't get outside of marriage? Discuss.

Why should anyone get married today? Its a pointless institution.
Reply 13
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
This gonna be good :clap2:

I don't think it's going to be that good given most women don't give a crap about marriage either!

I predict a load of people just being like well there's not much point in women marrying either...
Reply 14
Original post by drake10
Legal rights for the woman to kick the husband out of the house, take half his money and receive alimony - despite being able to get a job and provide for herself! That's not a good reason for men to get married! :rolleyes:

The reason I ask 'why should high quality men get married?' is because these are the men that women want to marry. Women don't care whether poor, low status men want to get married or not.

Furthermore, high quality, desirable men are the ones who have the least to gain and most to lose from marriage. These are the guys who have lots of options and can fairly easily get sex from various women outside of marriage. These are the rich, successful men who have a lot of money to lose in a divorce.

From this thread it looks like modern women are going to have a really difficult time finding a desirable man to marry them when they finally decide they want to get married in their late twenties. It seems safe to predict that many of the women in the other thread saying that they plan to keep their surname are right - because no man will want to marry them.

I'm going to invest in cat food companies in anticipation for the rise of single, childless spinsters buying lots of cats to keep them company in their lonely old age! :biggrin:

You know not all couples who live together are married right? You can not be married and not be a spinster?
Reply 15
Don't get married.

It's a trap.
No one is going to convince you to want to get married. What would be the point in that? Get married or don't get married. No one actually gives a ****.
I dream about the day I get married!!
Original post by redferry
I don't think it's going to be that good given most women don't give a crap about marriage either!

I predict a load of people just being like well there's not much point in women marrying either...

Disappointing reaction , I expected a comeback from the radical feminists at least . Mehhh
Reply 19
I don't see any reason whatsoever personally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending