The Student Room Group

Smoking to be banned in all outdoor public places, town centres, streets, etc

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
If anyone here is old enough to remember life before the smoking ban, where a lot of places were simply not pleasant due to smoking.

I mean we take it for granted now but imagine having to share restaurants with half of the dining area reserved for smokers, and their rancid smog still floating over to the non-smoking side?

Pubs were a no-go (and honestly who;d want to go into that anyway?).

I never so much as noticed it in the non-smoking sections of restaurants. Many were simply non-smoking anyway.

As for pubs, it was perfectly fine. They were smokey. If you didn't like it, you could go elsewhere - but notably few did.
Reply 41
considering the government and authorities can't even enforce the current smoking ban i do find this idea quite laughable, people still frequently smoke on trains and in stations, i know a bus service in a remote part of Wales which still allows (unofficially) people to smoke.

Everyone knows the governments half hearted attempt to discourage smoking is the greatest joke of the modern age, British smokers pay some of the highest taxes in the world on tobacco products, if everyone quite tomorrow the government would probably go into shock and spontaneously burst into flames :biggrin:

http://online.wsj.com/news/interactive/RUSSMOKE20121016?ref=SB10000872396390443624204578058201182906048

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/05/which-countries-smoke-most-and-which-have-the-best-anti-smoking-ads/276422/

Every couple of weeks this topic, or something very close to this topic arises and it's starting to get rather boring now, as already stated by other posters, the average person is probably at far more risk from car exhausts and pollutants in the air from industry than they are from second hand smoke in the street.

Also ... France ...how is that an anti smoking advert? It just makes me want to smoke ...and touch myself...
Reply 42
Original post by Rakas21
Of course not, it's relatively inelastic so keeping high taxes on tobacco will allow us to keep more important taxes like income taxes low.

In theory you could keep taxes the same, although they wouldn't be justified since MSC would be greatly reduced :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by cid
considering the government and authorities can't even enforce the current smoking ban i do find this idea quite laughable, people still frequently smoke on trains and in stations, i know a bus service in a remote part of Wales which still allows (unofficially) people to smoke.

Everyone knows the governments half hearted attempt to discourage smoking is the greatest joke of the modern age, British smokers pay some of the highest taxes in the world on tobacco products, if everyone quite tomorrow the government would probably go into shock and spontaneously burst into flames :biggrin:

http://online.wsj.com/news/interactive/RUSSMOKE20121016?ref=SB10000872396390443624204578058201182906048

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/05/which-countries-smoke-most-and-which-have-the-best-anti-smoking-ads/276422/

Every couple of weeks this topic, or something very close to this topic arises and it's starting to get rather boring now, as already stated by other posters, the average person is probably at far more risk from car exhausts and pollutants in the air from industry than they are from second hand smoke in the street.

Also ... France ...how is that an anti smoking advert? It just makes me want to smoke ...and touch myself...

The money they'd make from fining smokers who are caught would make up for any money lost by smokers who quit.
Original post by joebloggs434
.....at least it would if I was in charge.

I'm tired of smokers polluting outdoor public places with their filthy, dirty smoke with absolutely no regard for anyone. I'm also fed up of them littering the streets with their fag ends.

I propose that there should be a ban on smoking in all outdoor public places such as town centres, streets, platforms, etc.

Smokers should only be allowed to smoke in their own home, or in a select number of designated smoking areas/shelters. That way, smokers can be kept away from people who don't want to breath their smoke, and our streets can be free from the horrible sight of cigarette ends on all the pavements.

Every town and city should have street wardens who are paid to enforce these rules. Any smoker caught with a cigarette in public should be given a stern talking to about why it's wrong to smoke and the dangers it poses, followed by being given an on the spot fine.

Who here agrees with me?

There are plenty of considerate smokers around who aim not to smoke near people and throw their cigarette ends in the bin.

So the tax-payer should now fork out for street wardens? Smokers are fully aware of the dangers it poses, they don't need a "stern talking to".

Original post by G8D
I'd ban smoking and those e-cigs from all mildly populated public places. Indoor and outdoor.

I use an e-cig, why should these be banned? They are a good way forward for those using a healthier option and don't cause any harm to non-smokers.
Reply 45
The money they'd make from fining smokers who are caught would make up for any money lost by smokers who quit.

Hmm, i find that unlikely, but let's say you are correct, you still need someone to enforce it, catch the smokers and fine them ... something which as has already be suggested, cannot be done.

Think about, if the government banned smoking tomorrow people will keep smoking,

- so eventually someone gets slapped with a fine.
- they refuse to pay fine
- they get larger fine
- they still refuse to pay
- they get told to go to court, they don't show up
- the police take them into custody
- they refuse to pay any fine still
- get sentenced to a term in jail

meanwhile while the police are arresting smokers left right and centre, violent crime shoots up because the police are having a field day making record numbers of arrest and the prisons are full of smokers while your mum's house is getting broken into and your nan has been kidnapped and held for ransom...

I think you over estimate the ability of laws...
As a smoker I think that's a bit unfair. Smoking should be banned in areas with children, and smokers should have consideration for non-smokers in areas that are busy or doorways etc. Also as a smoker I don't litter, I put my cigs out and bin them. Everywhere outside is a bit far, and in the UK there are bigger issues then a few smokers in a town centre. If you were in charge I would hope that you would focus your attention on the actual problems in society. Also where is money coming from to employ people to enforce this. Would you enforce the country side? Sounds a bit naive to me and I don't think it could ever work in the real world...
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1390141824.331254.jpg
Reply 48
That's a very authoritarian idea.
Reply 49
.....at least it would if I was in charge.

Who here agrees with me?

I don't - we already have too many anti-smoking laws in this country.
if people want to smoke, they should be allowed to do it where they want if given permission by relevant private property owners, meaning not only their own homes, but in other people's properties too, e.g. bars and clubs. bars and clubs *aren't* public places. they are private places that are owned privately - if a person running and owning a bar is interested in making money and (s)he'll attract more money by letting smoking individuals enter his or her bar, why should they be forbidden? the people who don't like it can leave as they're not being forced to attend that private building and the bar owner can assess the numbers and how he had maximise attendance/profit.
Original post by G8D
I'd ban smoking and those e-cigs from all mildly populated public places. Indoor and outdoor.

When someone demands the banning of e-cigs (which do not create danger from second-hand smoke), they're simply demonstrating that this is actually a fascist, puritanical urge, not a public health issue
agree. I'm sick of smokers blowing smoke everywhere and me having an ashtma attack because of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spetznaaz
You guys are gonna face some serious troubles in life if people smoking outside rustles your jimmies this much.

I think you'll find smokers pay far more tax towards the NHS than smoking costs the NHS.

it 'rustles my jimmies' because every single time a smoker blows a smoke in my general direction I end up with asthma attack and every single time the smoker shrugs their shoulder or smirks. it pisses me off because it affects me directly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The vehemence of the anti-smoking brigade reminds me very much of a book I read called The Anatomy of Disgust.

It talks about how visceral disgust (the language used by the OP and others, about inconsiderate smokers blowing smoke in other peoples faces, how it's on their breath) is usually a prerequisite for hatred. For example, racists who say that black people are unhygienic, or foreign food smells funny.

It's an attempt to, psychologically, keep the chaos at bay. I'm guessing the anti-smokers feel very put upon, and it seems to upset them to a considerable degree. Fascinating
Original post by donutaud15
it 'rustles my jimmies' because every single time a smoker blows a smoke in my general direction I end up with asthma attack and every single time the smoker shrugs their shoulder or smirks

I'm reasonably certain that you're actually imagining them smirking. It's quite paranoid, actually.

Having said that, it is funny when someone pretends to cough their guts up or, as you say, have an asthma attack, when they pass a smoker in the street. Funny that they seem to make no effort to avoid the smoker, and even move closer to them. It's like they want to be outraged.

I had asthma and it took a hell of a lot more to cause it than a whiff of smoke, and when I was having one I'd hardly be concentrating on what other people were doing

It seems like this is psychologically quite a deep issue for you, I suspect your "asthma attack" is actually a pscyhosomatic response, coupled with hallucinations that smokers are laughing at you
(edited 10 years ago)
it 'rustles my jimmies' because every single time a smoker blows a smoke in my general direction I end up with asthma attack and every single time the smoker shrugs their shoulder or smirks. it pisses me off because it affects me directly.

I find this very hard to believe.
Original post by MostUncivilised
I'm reasonably certain that you're actually imagining them smirking. It's quite paranoid, actually.

Having said that, it is funny when someone pretends to cough their guts up or, as you say, have an asthma attack, when they pass a smoker in the street. Funny that they seem to make no effort to avoid the smoker, and even move closer to them. It's like they want to be outraged.

I had asthma and it took a hell of a lot more to cause it than a whiff of smoke, and when I was having one I'd hardly be concentrating on what other people were doing

It seems like this is psychologically quite a deep issue for you, I suspect your "asthma attack" is actually a pscyhosomatic response, coupled with hallucinations that smokers are laughing at you

actually I know this for a fact because my husband politely asks smokers quite often to stop blowing in my direction because I am having an asthma attack and he gets the response I mentioned before. sometimes he gets told to '**** off'

I actually have severe ashtma so I don't 'pretend' to cough my guts up. Smoke stops me breathing, it always has. And if I am in a bus stop and its pouring it down with rain, why should I move away? Same could be said to a smoker, they could move away.

Original post by Wilfred Little
I find this very hard to believe.

that's not really my problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
that's not really my problem.

Tis if it's true cos I'm not the one having asthma attacks, even though I'm a non smoker with asthma.

#js

if I am in a bus stop and its pouring it down with rain, why should I move away?

To avoid the impending asthma attack.
(edited 10 years ago)
actually I know this for a fact because my husband

So you've never actually seen this for yourself?

politely asks smokers quite often to stop blowing in my direction because I am having an asthma attack and he gets the response I mentioned before. sometimes he gets told to '**** off'

I'm sorry, if the situation is as you've described it, it simply doesn't tally with plausible explanations of human nature. However, if I was standing somewhere having a cigarette, and you and your husband come out of nowhere, choose to stand next to me, you start melodramatically coughing and he demands I stub out my cigarette, I'd probably tell you to **** off too

I actually have severe ashtma so I don't 'pretend' to cough my guts up. Smoke stops me breathing, it always has. And if I am in a bus stop and its pouring it down with rain, why should I move away?

If you want to avoid an asthma attack, then you know what you have to do. Unless you'd prefer to suffer the attack and enjoy the consequent outrage. I continue to believe that the "smirking" smoker is a figment of your imagination, a paranoid hallucination brought on by a desire to believe it's true
I haven't come across these considerate smokers. when I was pregnant people would come and sit next to me at a bus stop and start smoking, also when I was sat there with a pram. When you're at a bus top you can't just move away and why the hell should you?

If you don't want to smoke in your house and poison your children don't smoke, I don't want you smoking in the street and poisoning my child.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending