The Student Room Group

Smoking to be banned in all outdoor public places, town centres, streets, etc

.....at least it would if I was in charge.

I'm tired of smokers polluting outdoor public places with their filthy, dirty smoke with absolutely no regard for anyone. I'm also fed up of them littering the streets with their fag ends.

I propose that there should be a ban on smoking in all outdoor public places such as town centres, streets, platforms, etc.

Smokers should only be allowed to smoke in their own home, or in a select number of designated smoking areas/shelters. That way, smokers can be kept away from people who don't want to breath their smoke, and our streets can be free from the horrible sight of cigarette ends on all the pavements.

Every town and city should have street wardens who are paid to enforce these rules. Any smoker caught with a cigarette in public should be given a stern talking to about why it's wrong to smoke and the dangers it poses, followed by being given an on the spot fine.

Who here agrees with me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
so they can only smoke in their own house basically?

fair enough I understand your hate for smokers but they are quite rare tbh so its not like your inhaling an unreasonable quantity of smoke everyday
Reply 2
Disagree. I find the majority of smokers are fairly considerate to non smokers and it's quite easy to avoid groups of smokers for prolonged periods if it bothers you that much. For the littering argument, you may as well argue banning chewing gum and all sorts of takeaway food as well.
Original post by Prandtl
Disagree. I find the majority of smokers are fairly considerate to non smokers and it's quite easy to avoid groups of smokers for prolonged periods if it bothers you that much. For the littering argument, you may as well argue banning chewing gum and all sorts of takeaway food as well.

This. The vast majority of smokers know that a lot of people don't like the smell of smoke, so aren't going to smoke near you, or if they do accidentally ie: the wind blows your way, then they either tend to move away, or say "Why don't you stand here instead" ? (From experience)
Reply 4
OP you're one of those people at night clubs who come into the smoking area and complain about too many people smoking around them aren't you?

Don't be that person no one (smokers and non smokers) and I mean NO ONE likes that person ... i suspect even their parents flip them the bird when their back is turned.
Reply 5
Original post by joebloggs434

I'm tired of smokers polluting outdoor public places with their filthy, dirty smoke with absolutely no regard for anyone. I'm also fed up of them littering the streets with their fag ends.

I propose that there should be a ban on smoking in all outdoor public places such as town centres, streets, platforms, etc.

Smokers should only be allowed to smoke in their own home, or in a select number of designated smoking areas/shelters. That way, smokers can be kept away from people who don't want to breath their smoke, and our streets can be free from the horrible sight of cigarette ends on all the pavements.

Every town and city should have street wardens who are paid to enforce these rules. Any smoker caught with a cigarette in public should be given a stern talking to about why it's wrong to smoke and the dangers it poses, followed by being given an on the spot fine.

Who here agrees with me?

I agree with you OP. I'd not even bother with shelters, why burden the taxpayer to spend money on shelters for people who wish to poison themselves.
Reply 6
I think rules about smoking should be more rigidly enforced. And I think public buildings, unless specifically smoking areas/shelters, should have a 10m exclusion zone around entrances so that you don't walk into a wall of smoke when you leave - this happens so often and it really annoys me.
I also disagree with the claim that most smokers are considerate. I think people within your social group will normally be considerate - asking if it's OK to light up, moving downwind to do so, apologising if they do accidentally blow smoke in your face. But anyone outside your social group doesn't notice you, doesn't care. You can be sitting somewhere having a coughing fit trying desperately to move away from them and they seem to follow you with their smokey dragon breath chasing its way down your throat. And no, you can't just say, "please can you not smoke on me" because then they'll tell you should have moved, which you tried to do, or just thump you.
I don't have a problem with people smoking in open spaces open to the public, but I do have a problem with them doing it in public outside areas set aside for them to do so.
They have to smoke outside but inconsiderately congregate by the doors.
That should be policed more. Too cold? Oh well. Don't smoke.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can we ban your drivel from polluting my ears?

I sympathise and agree with people who would want it banned from doorways - as a smoker I'd never. But everywhere? No.
Original post by cid
OP you're one of those people at night clubs who come into the smoking area and complain about too many people smoking around them aren't you?

Don't be that person no one (smokers and non smokers) and I mean NO ONE likes that person ... i suspect even their parents flip them the bird when their back is turned.

Disagree, in a night club it can get very hot inside and with the mix of alcohol sometimes I need to have some fresh air. Most night clubs do not allow you to leave out the main door unless you are leaving for good thus the only other place is the 'smoking area.' Perhaps a designated smoking area and a designated clear air zone would be appropriate.

Over all, I hate smoking probably mainly because my body cannot tolerate it well. I will not discriminate a smoker just because I do not agree with their life style so long as it does not effect my life. I find the smoking disturbing and although smokers mainly have respect when smoking in the streets, it is still irritating having to hold my breathe whilst walking past. Though I may not be breathing in much, claims and research has shown the effects of second hand smoking.

I don't believe banning it all together will be fair on smokers nor will they agree and it would cause an outcry. Some smokers release their stress through a smoke and to have a stressful day at work then not allowed to on their break, or have to walk ages in order to do so is not fair. The only way it would be practical was if smoking was completely made illegal.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10

Who here agrees with me?

To be honest, I don't like people smoking in public either but I would rather they did that than smoke solely in their own homes. I think that the risks presented by prolonged exposure to secondhand smoke (especially to children), outweigh the benefits of being 'free from the horrible sight of cigarette ends on all the pavements'.

(And no offence, by my city council can't even afford traffic wardens and new bus stops, never mind 'street wardens' or 'designated smoking areas/shelters'.)

HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIO:

Bob smokes. Bob lives in a council house and works very hard for the money he earns to support his two young daughters (and to buy cigarettes for himself). Everytime he goes to the doctors the nurse asks him 'Do you want smoking cessation advice, Bob?' And he always says no because he likes smoking(N.B. you cannot force people to stop smoking, you have to respect their wishes). Bob used to smoke outside on the pavement when he needed a cigarette (because he didn't have a garden)but now Bob can't do that anymore because there's a law against smoking in public and the local council cannot afford to set up and maintain designated smoking areas throughout the local area. So then Bob started to smoke inside but with his head out of the window but then someone reported him to the council saying he wa 'polluting outdoor public places with...filthy, dirty smoke with absolutely no regard for anyone'. So Bob had to smoke inside, presenting a massive health risk to both his young daughters. The end.

I realise that was somewhat petty but it does illustrate the physical issues with banning smoking in public. It might force people to quit smoking if they can't do it conveniently but I think it would be better if the dangers and health risks associated with smoking were publicised more heavily etc. To be honest, smoking has declined rapidly anyway.
|
|
v
Reply 11
Smokers are generally less intelligent than normal people ? they definitely need positive action to stop them harming others with their ridiculous pastime.
I agree! It annoys me every single day and I've experienced some pretty inconsiderate smokers in my time travelling to school and now college. Notably, there was this one time where I was sitting at the bus stop waiting for the bus in the freezing cold and then this woman who was smoking came and sat next to me. Obviously I couldn't exactly tell her to move and I didn't exactly want conflict. I tried looking at her in a certain way and coughing but that didn't work so eventually I had to get up. There have also been other occasions where smokers have thought they had the same rights as everyone else by smoking in the bus stand despite other people being there, including children. I also hate when smokers leave it to the absolute last minute to chuck their fag before getting on the bus without even bothering to stamp it out so everyone at the bus stop is left to smell it.

It annoys me at college too. Students are allowed to smoke outside the gates and on my first day, I was quite alarmed when I had to walk through a cloud of smoke just to get through the turnstiles. They should be made to smoke at least a bit further away or in the small park that's about 2 minutes away.
Smokers should only be allowed to smoke in their own home, or in a select number of designated smoking areas/shelters. That way, smokers can be kept away from people who don't want to breath their smoke

Won't be long before you've got people saying smokers should only be allowed to smoke in their own homes when they don't have guests or visits from people in authority. If the gas man/police/doctor/whoever turns up it's technically now their place of work and thus the home owner should be banned from smoking until they've gone.
Reply 14
I definitely agree with town centres. Not sure about general streets though because you can easily avoid walking through someone smoke there.
Reply 15
So I take it that the tax they pay towards cigarettes should be largely cut, since most of the externalities would be omitted. Smokers should be allowed to smoke outside, since non smokers are also guilty of littering.
Reply 16
Original post by G8D
I'd ban smoking and those e-cigs from all mildly populated public places. Indoor and outdoor.

Why e-cigs?
Original post by alicefogg

I realise that was somewhat petty but it does illustrate the physical issues with banning smoking in public. It might force people to quit smoking if they can't do it conveniently but I think it would be better if the dangers and health risks associated with smoking were publicised more heavily etc. To be honest, smoking has declined rapidly anyway.
|
|
v

It may have declined rapidly but I'm still surprised it's 20%, that seems quite high
Reply 18
Original post by manchesterunited15
It may have declined rapidly but I'm still surprised it's 20%, that seems quite high

'Social smokers' who pikey other people's fags once a fortnight at the pub are probably included in that. They're not all going to be 5/10/20 a day smokers.
Reply 19
Original post by IAmABaws
So I take it that the tax they pay towards cigarettes should be largely cut, since most of the externalities would be omitted. Smokers should be allowed to smoke outside, since non smokers are also guilty of littering.

No. The tax should go towards paying for designated smoking shelters and to pay the wages of street wardens who would fine anyone caught smoking in the street.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending