The Student Room Group

Slovakia without parents

The title says it all but I might as well explain anyway. I have this Slovakian/Vietnamese friend who has lived in this country for about three years now, and for most of his life he lived in Slovakia. So basically, he's quite 'well off' and this is why he's been able to live in so many different places. Anyway, he's going back to Slovakia this Summer and I've been invited to go with him for a week (this is after completing the last of my GCSEs) and I've asked my mum, and she's fine with it (obviously as long as she can see proof of where we're going). I basically just need to know from people anything I should be aware of about Slovakia although I think it's relatively safe. The price I'm paying for the plane is looking to be around £100-£150 from Birmingham to Bratislava return and I'll be taking somewhere in the region of £200 spending money (hotels aren't much of a problem as we can stop at his mother's house for most of the time) and there may be other people coming with us. If anyone finds it important, I'll be 16, nearly 17 at the time. Thanks for any help in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by bagunganol
The title says it all but I might as well explain anyway. I have this Slovakian/Vietnamese friend who has lived in this country for about three years now, and for most of his life he lived in Slovakia. So basically, he's quite 'well off' and this is why he's been able to live in so many different places. Anyway, he's going back to Slovakia this Summer and I've been invited to go with him for a week (this is after completing the last of my GCSEs) and I've asked my mum, and she's fine with it (obviously as long as she can see proof of where we're going). I basically just need to know from people anything I should be aware of about Slovakia although I think it's relatively safe. The price I'm paying for the plane is looking to be around £100-£150 from Birmingham to Bratislava return and I'll be taking somewhere in the region of £200 spending money (hotels aren't much of a problem as we can stop at his mother's house for most of the time) and there may be other people coming with us. If anyone finds it important, I'll be 16, nearly 17 at the time. Thanks for any help in advance.

Well I'm Slovak and spent here most of my life. Yes, Slovakia is a safe place and you should be fine. Though as in any country, be aware even here are some not as nice places.
Considering you going with your friend, he should know where to take you and where not to. But really, it's a safe country and if you behave yourself, you will be fine and have a good time here.
Where in Slovakia are you planning to stay? I live in the capital, Bratislava.
Heya, guy born in London but with Slovak family and heritage here. Slovakia is a great place - summer will be reasonably warm (not like tropical warm, just a nice temperature). People are always nice, food is fantastic but very unhealthy. You may go hiking, mountain biking, maybe something like that. Only thing to watch out for are the Roma people (aka gypsies) - most are up to no good and will try to take your stuff if you flash it around. Also, if you're used to urban areas (London, most global hubs) Slovakia will be a small surprise for you, because it's not that developed - people are not as well off, cars are usually second hand, people live in flats and some still work in agriculture or factories - also a lot more green! It depends what kinda person you are - if you obsess with technology and a high standard of living then it may be a bit difficult (or different, at least). Otherwise, it'll be great - enjoy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest