The Student Room Group

Can I travel contactless from Stevenage Railway Station to zone 1?

I'm moving here soon and I don't really know how the trains operate here so far out from London. I'm planning on just using the Great Northern Line to go to my UNI, can I simply use my credit contactless card to tap in and out of the stations when travelling?
Reply 1
Original post by Nice_100
I'm moving here soon and I don't really know how the trains operate here so far out from London. I'm planning on just using the Great Northern Line to go to my UNI, can I simply use my credit contactless card to tap in and out of the stations when travelling?

Stevenage doesn't show at the Single fare finder where you can "[f]ind the cost of a journey between any two stations on Tube, DLR, London Overground, Elizabeth line and National Rail services where pay as you go (contactless or Oyster) is accepted." ... so my assumption is that you can't just use contactless for this.

I suspect you'll need to buy one ticket to get from Stevenage to London, and then use contactless on the tube.

It looks like Great Northern do have their own contactless card -- see https://www.greatnorthernrail.com/tickets/the-key-smartcard/keygo -- but that's not a bank card. So you'd need (at your interchange in London) to tap out with Key and then tap in again with your bank card.

If you're a student it would be worth looking to see if you can get a 16-25 railcard and add that to an Oyster card. That would reduce the cost (I believe) of your tube travel. (I don't live in London, so it's not something I've investigated.)
Reply 2
Original post by martin7
Stevenage doesn't show at the Single fare finder where you can "[f]ind the cost of a journey between any two stations on Tube, DLR, London Overground, Elizabeth line and National Rail services where pay as you go (contactless or Oyster) is accepted." ... so my assumption is that you can't just use contactless for this.

I suspect you'll need to buy one ticket to get from Stevenage to London, and then use contactless on the tube.

It looks like Great Northern do have their own contactless card -- see https://www.greatnorthernrail.com/tickets/the-key-smartcard/keygo -- but that's not a bank card. So you'd need (at your interchange in London) to tap out with Key and then tap in again with your bank card.

If you're a student it would be worth looking to see if you can get a 16-25 railcard and add that to an Oyster card. That would reduce the cost (I believe) of your tube travel. (I don't live in London, so it's not something I've investigated.)
This was so helpful tysm! Dang...that's a shame I can't use contactless. Payg/contactless rly should be implemented everywhere in the UK...it's so convenient.
Reply 3
Original post by Nice_100
This was so helpful tysm! Dang...that's a shame I can't use contactless. Payg/contactless rly should be implemented everywhere in the UK...it's so convenient.

But you can use contactless/payg for what you want to do. The Key card is contactless and can do pay-as-you-go (and I use a similar product for my commute, though operated by a different train operating company). And you can use a contactless bank card on the tube. You just have to treat the trip as two separate journeys and use the right card at the right time.

Bear in mind that using contactless/payg isn't necessarily going to get you the cheapest fares, particularly on longer journeys on the national rail network, where buying Advance tickets can save you a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest