The question is: Find the least value for n for which
n
Σ (4r-3) > 2000
r=1

Please show full working out and clear explanations, thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Efemena15

Please show full working out and clear explanations, thanks

:eek::eek::eek:! Umm do you understand what you are looking for? Start with 1 to find the first term. Sub that in to get a. Sub a few more numbers in and see if a common difference appears. Then use the formula :colone:
Reply 2
Original post by Super199
:eek::eek::eek:! Umm do you understand what you are looking for? Start with 1 to find the first term. Sub that in to get a. Sub a few more numbers in and see if a common difference appears. Then use the formula :colone:

I've done that, but i get to the equation 2n^2-n-2000>0

I don't know what to do now, the answer in the book is 32 but i don't know how to get to that
I've done that, but i get to the equation 2n^2-n-2000>0

I don't know what to do now, the answer in the book is 32 but i don't know how to get to that

Yes...solve the equation and n > 31. something (for the positive solution). by a quick inspection which means n will have to be the next integer
Reply 4
Original post by m4ths/maths247
Yes...solve the equation and n > 31. something (for the positive solution). by a quick inspection which means n will have to be the next integer

I can't factorise that! Which two numbers multiply to give 4000 but add to give -n?
(edited 10 years ago)
I can't factorise that! Which two numbers multiply to give 4000 but add to give -n?

Why do you want to factorise it?
Is it because it's in the Core 1 book?
Reply 6
Original post by m4ths/maths247
Why do you want to factorise it?
Is it because it's in the Core 1 book?

Yes, so I can just leave it as 2n^2-n-2000?

Also, sir, I'm struggling with a few questions on page 99 of the C1 book, I'm assuming you have it because I've seen in a few of your videos that you've referred to questions from the book.

If you ever have the time, I need help on questions 8b, 8c and 10b please. Thanks a lot
Yes, so I can just leave it as 2n^2-n-2000?

I believe you can factorise this (roughly) by completing the square to give the required answer?
yep..i completed the square for the question, and using a calculator (i'm not sure if you're allowed to use a calculator in c1), and it gave the right answer, so try completing the square. note that n is a positive number.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by alexmufc1995
I believe you can factorise this (roughly) by completing the square to give the required answer?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1391558752.286557.jpg rule number 1 broken

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Trouty97
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1391558752.286557.jpg rule number 1 broken

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR's no.1 **** right here

Quick Reply

Latest