The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Discrimination at Tesco

At my local Tesco they are not allowing any teenagers to enter the store without removing their rucksack/handbags and other "concealing" clothes items etc
However, anyone else out of the teenage age range is allowed free entry into the store without removing such items. How is this allowed, is this not discrimination, and against simple civil rights?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by olmyster911
At my local Tesco they are not allowing any teenagers to enter the store without removing their rucksack/handbags and other "concealing" clothes items etc
However, anyone else out of the teenage age range is allowed free entry into the store without removing such items. How is this allowed, is this not discrimination, and against simple civil rights?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it makes sense, the teenage age range are most likely to steal

I used to steal when I was a teen
(edited 10 years ago)
is a pain in the arse not being aloud in though
Reply 3
In the nicest way possible; it's kinda like the lower insurance for women. Statistically women are safer and statistically for this store teenagers obviously shoplift a lot. That said Europe and their meddling did indeed block the lower women's insurance, and this probably is discrimination.
However; unless you are a shoplifter it doesn't really matter. A lot of little shops have the same policy.
Reply 4
Original post by ThoughtIsFree
I think it makes sense, the teenage age range are most likely to steal

I used to steal when I was a teen but I wouldn't do it again as I'm older and am pretty likely to get prosecuted whereas you're more likely to get a warning under 16 years of age

That doesn't justify it. Statistically black people are more likely to commit crimes, but you wouldn't demand only black people were stopped. Similarly men are also more likely to, but they wouldn't only target men. You're innocent until proven guilty, not assumed guilty because you're young. If I were the OP I'd make a complain.
Reply 5
Original post by marinaim
In the nicest way possible; it's kinda like the lower insurance for women. Statistically women are safer and statistically for this store teenagers obviously shoplift a lot. That said Europe and their meddling did indeed block the lower women's insurance, and this probably is discrimination.
However; unless you are a shoplifter it doesn't really matter. A lot of little shops have the same policy.

Of course it matters, that's the whole point. It's a real inconvenience to the 99% of us who aren't shoplifters.
Reply 6
Original post by Saoirse:3
Of course it matters, that's the whole point. It's a real inconvenience to the 99% of us who aren't shoplifters.

well if it's that inconvenient you can take your business elsewhere; as the free market works :wink:
Reply 7
Yes, it is absolutely disgusting. You have my full sympathy. It certainly seems like treating anyone who doesn't have a nine-to-five job as a criminal has really come on in the past five years. Confiscating bags and getting people to strip their clothes off, it's repulsive.

Corporations are your enemy. Remember that until your dying day, even as you work for one.

(Oh, by the way, women aren't safer drivers than men at all. They cause just as many accidents with their hesitance as men do with their aggression. Men just have more expensive, spectacular accidents.)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
well if it's that inconvenient you can take your business elsewhere; as the free market works :wink:

Oh I absolutely would, but I don't think that means they should be allowed to do as they like. What happens if other shops follow suit? Or at least all those within a certain area? Just because other options may be available doesn't mean discrimination is justified.
Original post by Saoirse:3
That doesn't justify it. Statistically black people are more likely to commit crimes, but you wouldn't demand only black people were stopped. Similarly men are also more likely to, but they wouldn't only target men. You're innocent until proven guilty, not assumed guilty because you're young. If I were the OP I'd make a complain.

a lot of people I know my age steal from shops such as tesco regularly - mainly on the way home from school/college (as i did). tesco knows this and has caught lots of people my age before (including me)

if a shop constantly caught certaingroups of people at the same time/day of the week i understand why they would try and use methods at that time to prevent losing money - my local store doesn't let too many teens go in at one time

i'm not saying i agree with it as it's not fair on lots of kids that wouldn't dream on stealing
Reply 10
Complain to the manager, then write to your local paper. Say you had to were forced to remove your coat and almost froze to death, or similar.
It's very patronising when a middle aged woman walks in freely with a handbag, and then I try to enter and I'm treated like I've already stolen something.

I have never, and will never steal from a shop, unlike some people in this discussion. I won't be discriminated because you're a bad person..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you mean blocking the lower car insurance was discrimination or that women having lower car insurance in the first place was discrimination?

I certainly hope it was the former, as a sensible 18 year old trying to get insurance on a tiny car, I found that I'd have to pay £1,800 and have my car fitted with a tracker so I couldn't drive at night, as opposed to £900 with no restrictions if I was female. 3 years later and I have my full no claims bonus, and the prices have dropped down to about £400 for the same car. Isn't that just ridiculous? Even after getting 1 year no claims bonus, the cheapest quote I could find was still substantially more than if I was a woman (£1200 as opposed to £800) - can't be because I'm a bad driver, I'd gone through my first year of driving without claiming once!
Reply 13
Original post by SteelScyther
Did you mean blocking the lower car insurance was discrimination or that women having lower car insurance in the first place was discrimination?

I certainly hope it was the former, as a sensible 18 year old trying to get insurance on a tiny car, I found that I'd have to pay £1,800 and have my car fitted with a tracker so I couldn't drive at night, as opposed to £900 with no restrictions if I was female. 3 years later and I have my full no claims bonus, and the prices have dropped down to about £400 for the same car. Isn't that just ridiculous? Even after getting 1 year no claims bonus, the cheapest quote I could find was still substantially more than if I was a woman (£1200 as opposed to £800) - can't be because I'm a bad driver, I'd gone through my first year of driving without claiming once!

sorry it wasn't clear; it was held to be sexist for women to have cheaper car insurance in the first place.
Which obviously means rather than making mens cheaper; both should now be the more expensive mens price.
(edited 10 years ago)
sorry it wasn't clear; it was held to be sexist for women to have cheaper car insurance in the first place.

Ok, sorry for my rant then. Insurance is kind of one of my pet-hates... :biggrin:
Reply 15
Yeah.. that's not done imo. I would be so embarrassed having to remove my back and suspicious clothing just to be let in and shop. Considering those who have never shoplifted in their life.
Original post by olmyster911

Posted from TSR Mobile

Equality Act 2010

(1) A person (A) discriminates against another (B) if, because of a protected characteristic, A treats B less favourably than A treats or would treat others.

(2) If the protected characteristic is age, A does not discriminate against B if A can show A's treatment of B to be a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim.

So open to interpretation really. Is the treatment less favourable? Yes, probably. Is it a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim? Open to discussion.
Reply 17
Can you blame them? If there have been shoplifters then they have to take some kind of action.
Yes, I can blame them. Am I a shoplifter? No. Just because there may have been shoplifting does not mean every single teenager must be punished for it. In my opinion the staff are being lazy and instead of using the security guard to catch shoplifters in the act and also using the plenty of cameras they have, they've taken the easy step similar to an airport security queue..
I'm waiting for the full body X-Ray scanner coming into use soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP - take them at their word.

Start a protest where you strip off completely (or even just down to pants) whenever you shop there. That way they can be absolutely sure that you aren't stealing.

Edit: then steal some pants :ninjagirl:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending