The Student Room Group

chip shops,corner shops and takeaways.

What the hell is going on? every fish and shop is run by Chinese, every corner shop by an Indian and every takeaway by Turks? This is not a racist debate but why are British people not opening up corner shops or any of the others? why is it every time i walk in to a shop i am greeted by a grumpy Asian who can hardly speak English? why is it every time i fancy a portion of chips i am waiting to be asked if i want fry ri with that? I want to walk into a shop just once somewhere and be greeted by a British man or woman. I grew up in London live in Brighton now and just feel it is a bit strange.

I am opening a newsagents **** it.

Scroll to see replies

I dunno.

Maybe these people just do the things that us 'british don't want to do?
Original post by Ziggy2252
... why is it every time i walk in to a shop i am greeted by a grumpy Asian who can hardly speak English? ...

I dunno, maybe you just give off a racist vibe.
Reply 3
I'd of thought you would be more worried about the huge number of gays in the area you live in rather than who what race the guy who serves your chips is

fair point though.

It's not a Jewish guy anymore though so hey
You might notice that these sorts of jobs involve long and unsociable hours which most 'British' people (using OP's definition) would be unwilling to work for. I used to live next to a corner shop owned by an Indian family who used to have the shop open seven days a week and practically every day of the year. It's not the kind of job or the kind of hours I would like to be working with.
Reply 5
Original post by SHallowvale
I dunno.

Maybe these people just do the things that us 'british don't want to do?

I am 100% certain you are a non-british person as that line always comes out of there mouths! your telling me before they all opened them up there were no chip shops or takeaways? dont be silly.
I am 100% certain you are a non-british person as that line always comes out of there mouths! your telling me before they all opened them up there were no chip shops or takeaways? dont be silly.

It's a possibility, yes. In addition, takeway shops/newagents (as far as i'm aware) as fairly easy to set up. So, if a family moves into the country and wants to start their own business, then they may choose that option.

Original post by Manbeerpig
I'd of thought you would be more worried about the huge number of gays in the area you live in rather than who what race the guy who serves your chips is

fair point though.

Wut?
Because Sweg
Reply 8

You do realise we largely owe the "British institution" of fish and chips to Jewish immigrants from Spain and Portugal, as well as Italian immigrants/merchants?
Reply 9
Original post by SHallowvale
It's a possibility, yes. In addition, takeway shops/newagents (as far as i'm aware) as fairly easy to set up. So, if a family moves into the country and wants to start their own business, then they may choose that option.

Wut?

loads of them gay things in Brighton
English people are so grumpy!
Reply 11
Yes you are being racist because you're discounting them based on their race, they could be really good at what they are selling but you just want a British homegrown. Get outta here
because they can be bothered to work...
What the hell is going on? every fish and shop is run by Chinese, every corner shop by an Indian and every takeaway by Turks? This is not a racist debate but why are British people not opening up corner shops or any of the others? why is it every time i walk in to a shop i am greeted by a grumpy Asian who can hardly speak English? why is it every time i fancy a portion of chips i am waiting to be asked if i want fry ri with that? I want to walk into a shop just once somewhere and be greeted by a British man or woman. I grew up in London live in Brighton now and just feel it is a bit strange.

You moan about grumpy people yet you are clearly a very grumpy person:cool:

What difference does it make who runs the shop? They work hard and the food is good as well as cheap as a result. Unless your social life revolves around talking to these people as your friends who cares where they are from? I mean for me I get my stuff then leave. You may be different and want to have a long conversation and be friends with them but I don't think most people care about the accents these people have etc.

fair point though.

loads of them gay things in Brighton

There is really no need to attempt to derail threads with your homophobic comments.
Kebabs= Turkish
Maybe that's why Turks own Kebab shops

Can't explain the others though
Reply 16
Original post by shadowdweller
There is really no need to attempt to derail threads with your homophobic comments.

simply answering the questions

but i will stop because clearly someone is getting offended.
LOl. The OP is so off message. We are now "celebrating diversity". Particularly in Brighton where I come from !!!!

I'm yet to see a Chinese person in a Fish and Chips shop. And you answered your own question, open a newsagents if it bothers you so. :smile:
simply answering the questions

but i will stop because clearly someone is getting offended.

Fair enough, I suppose.

Well gee, I wonder why it could have been found offensive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending