The Student Room Group

chip shops,corner shops and takeaways.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ziggy2252
I am 100% certain you are a non-british person as that line always comes out of there mouths! your telling me before they all opened them up there were no chip shops or takeaways? dont be silly.

They don't want to do it anymore. Now we have a stock of cheap immigrants to do all that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Because when most British people get hold of a considerable amount of money they squander it on triple glazing and mdf kitchens from ikea or crap cars that they can't really afford so their neighbours are a bit jealous for about a week whereas most people from other countries invest their money in things like business for a proper living and long term benefit. Simples.
Reply 22
As someone else mentioned, unsociable hours. Not many would want to work past 6pm. Around 7pm is dinner time.
I would not want to be standing there at 11 o'clock at night serving drunken club goers, whilst they call me Abdul, make a mess, and abuse me generally.
At least they're working, if they weren't working we'd hear "Typical Foreigners come here live on benefits and don't work" :rolleyes:. There's no pleasing British people eh.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Why would you want to be greeted by a Brit more than a foreigner? Pretty sure that qualifies as racism.
Reply 26
What the hell is going on? every fish and shop is run by Chinese, every corner shop by an Indian and every takeaway by Turks? This is not a racist debate but why are British people not opening up corner shops or any of the others? why is it every time i walk in to a shop i am greeted by a grumpy Asian who can hardly speak English? why is it every time i fancy a portion of chips i am waiting to be asked if i want fry ri with that? I want to walk into a shop just once somewhere and be greeted by a British man or woman. I grew up in London live in Brighton now and just feel it is a bit strange.

I am opening a newsagents **** it.

It's because they're more willing to work longer hours to get more pay, the products sold in newagents or takeaways are cheap and most have a low profit margin. British people would rather work 9-5, so they would make less profit and ultimately their business may go bust. There's nothing stopping British people from opening a chippy or newsagent, they would just rather not do those jobs because the long hours associated with them.
What the hell is going on? every fish and shop is run by Chinese, every corner shop by an Indian and every takeaway by Turks? This is not a racist debate but why are British people not opening up corner shops or any of the others? why is it every time i walk in to a shop i am greeted by a grumpy Asian who can hardly speak English? why is it every time i fancy a portion of chips i am waiting to be asked if i want fry ri with that? I want to walk into a shop just once somewhere and be greeted by a British man or woman. I grew up in London live in Brighton now and just feel it is a bit strange.

Dude, shut up.

It probably is about who wants to do these jobs. Are you going to apply to work there? If not, then shut the **** up.

why is it every time i fancy a portion of chips i am waiting to be asked if i want fry ri with that?.

What the ****? I assume you mean fried rice? Maybe if you could speak English properly I wouldn't have to ask you to say it again.

I've never heard of a chip shop that would offer fried rice as if it was salt and vinegar. At most it would be one of those ones like the one in Westward Ho! in Devon which is like an eat in chip shop that would have the capacity for all sorts but even then fried rice? Maybe a curry sauce like you get mushy peas, but fried rice? What the ****?

I'll have you know I've been to various Indian and Chinese restaurants with English staff, although I admit in the case of some takeaways like a Chinese there aren't going to be many English people who'd get a job at doing the actual cooking and having to prepare food from a complicated list, similar to having hundreds of different types of stews, but chip shops? It's not particularly complicated to prepare that sort of food en masse. You get your chips in or you make them yourself, I doubt any makes their own burgers or pies or sausages, a lot of it is down to putting food in an oven, put it in a heated display and put the lot into bags while frying chips.

Original post by C_G
Why would you want to be greeted by a Brit more than a foreigner? Pretty sure that qualifies as racism.

I believe it's called Xenophobia when someone is personally judged negatively on the basis of their nationality. There are many non English or non-British people who are the same race as me. We invented the English language for a reason, please use it :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
Requires capital, long and unsociable hours and more than likely determination to see the business survive. Generally not traits you'd find in your average Brit.
Reply 30
Original post by Snagprophet

I've never heard of a chip shop that would offer fried rice as if it was salt and vinegar. At most it would be one of those ones like the one in Westward Ho! in Devon which is like an eat in chip shop that would have the capacity for all sorts but even then fried rice? Maybe a curry sauce like you get mushy peas, but fried rice? What the ****?

Your missing out. There's a Chinese chippy near me one tray: half chips half fried rice with curry and sweet and sour sauce. Beats our boring traditional chips any day.
Reply 31
My immigrant dad and mum who own a corner shop for the past 15 years have worked 14 hour days every single day of the year excluding Christmas day and excluding Sunday where they close from 6pm.

They are much loved in my town/neigbourhood, don't complain and just get on with it.

They do it all for me and my sister, they are effectively millionaires but they choose to live modestly so we have no tuition to pay at uni, and once we got full time jobs they bought us a house each so we wouldn't struggle on the property ladder. They are now retiring at 60 with lots of rental income from their properties.

The average person in Britain would just not do that - no insult to them, it is just a different culture - we work to live, immigrants live to work. But for you to demean my loving, hard working parents so much in your racist rant is massively insulting.

But I will happily sit here and laugh at you for being so small minded.

Posted from TSR Mobile
All the chippys around here are run by 'white British' people.

I used to work for Rosens which was a company that sold fish and chip shops (like an estate agent - but dealing with fish and chip shops instead of houses). So a commercial estate agent basically.

And yes, we had a lot of asian and chinese people registered as either sellers, or potential buyers, but there were also a hell of a lot of white british people registered too. I guess it just depends where you live.
Original post by Pipsico
My immigrant dad and mum who own a corner shop for the past 15 years have worked 14 hour days every single day of the year excluding Christmas day and excluding Sunday where they close from 6pm.

They are much loved in my town/neigbourhood, don't complain and just get on with it.

They do it all for me and my sister, they are effectively millionaires but they choose to live modestly so we have no tuition to pay at uni, and once we got full time jobs they bought us a house each so we wouldn't struggle on the property ladder. They are now retiring at 60 with lots of rental income from their properties.

The average person in Britain would just not do that - no insult to them, it is just a different culture - we work to live, immigrants live to work. But for you to demean my loving, hard working parents so much in your racist rant is massively insulting.

But I will happily sit here and laugh at you for being so small minded.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do realise that by saying "no insult to them" doesn't actually make what you said any less insulting, right?
You're being pretty racist and small minded about British people, which is just as bad. There are plenty of hard working British people who have self-made themselves into millionaires.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34

Where I live chip shops are run by Pakistanis, corner shops are run by Pakistanis and takeaways run by whichever race the cuisine is from.

So I would say your assertion is wrong.

Also I don't see the problem.
You sound pretty racist. Wait, no, very racist.

'Fry ri'. NOT COOL.
Learn some tolerance.
Reply 35

Why should it matter? you're not going to date/marry any of them or work with them. Just buy whatever you want and leave. You don't have to go to those places if you don't want to. Make food at home. Its usually cheaper and healthy too! Also I wouldn't say "every corner shop and every takeaway". Does that mean you been to every corner shop and takeaway in the uk? :tongue: you sound quite racist btw. Although some may be run by chinese, indians/pakistanis etc. They work hard and I respect that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
You do realise that by saying "no insult to them" doesn't actually make what you said any less insulting, right?
You're being pretty racist and small minded about British people, which is just as bad. There are plenty of hard working British people who have self-made themselves into millionaires.

I said the average British person... Not ALL. And it's true - which is why you don't get many running corner shops! The average Brit does the 9-5. It's pretty much reinforcing what everyone is saying in the thread. I said 'not to insult' as I wanted to make clear I'm comparing working culture rather than race, though they do come hand in hand.

It is not racist - I consider myself tarred under the same brush. I am British and I would never choose to do the hours that my parents do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Give it a rest - immigrants just can't win, can they? They're working very hard, paying taxes and have done well to own their own business - nothing stopping you! Maybe they're grumpy because you don't smile and say hi. All the local takeaways and newsagents near me (in Swindon and Newport) are run by friendly people who will smile back and serve you nicely.

Besides - pretty rude to utilise the food bought in by immigrants (Chinese, Indian, kebabs from Turkey, fish and chips from "Jewish refugees from Portugal and Spain") and then bitch about them being here in the next breath. Don't touch my takeaways!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8419026.stm
Reply 38
In my home town up north most chippys are owned by white English people, as are a few corner shops. My mate from London wouldn't believe me on this :lol: I don't mind getting Fish and Chips from a Chinese Takeaway, tastes different but still good, but in my experience chippys run by Chinese people have been pretty poor. But Greeks have really good chippys.

I think part of it is that being self employed is the best opportunity for immigrants, who due to language and cultural differences are often marginalised in mainstream employment. The profit margins are too small for most people to bother, whereas immigrants are happy with that and often rely on family to work for them meaning that they can save a lot on wages.
Original post by Per
Because when most British people get hold of a considerable amount of money they squander it on triple glazing and mdf kitchens from ikea or crap cars that they can't really afford so their neighbours are a bit jealous for about a week whereas most people from other countries invest their money in things like business for a proper living and long term benefit. Simples.

Don't knock it. There's nothing wrong with people pumping money into our service economy, it's what keeps us all in jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending