The Student Room Group

Seriously, how do people get so fat?

Scroll to see replies

Or they have a low metabolism.

It's not a myth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Vicious psycho-physical cycles in some cases.
Lack of bother in others.

It's not your bother anyway.
Reply 22
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Using sizing as a standard is ridiculous because frames have an effect, so someone could be a size 16 an slim if they're 6ft or very muscular, or largely built

Again true, but those are exceptions.

Most people conform to the standard sizing charts, so it's a good indicator as to whether someone is fat/overweight
Reply 23
Original post by honeyandlemon
Yeah but that's my point. I'm one of those people, and I've eaten lots of crap food and done no exercise. And even then I was never a morbidly obese whale!

Yes but then it just adds up and adds up and adds up until you get to a size where you're huge.
Reply 24
More importantly, how do those people who are so fat they can't get out of bed STAY fat? Like seriously, who is bringing them food?
Original post by tehforum
Again true, but those are exceptions.

Most people conform to the standard sizing charts, so it's a good indicator as to whether someone is fat/overweight

Not really? I have a friend who looks slimmer than me, but wears a larger size clothing. It's literally impossible to know anything from clothes
Reply 26
Not really? I have a friend who looks slimmer than me, but wears a larger size clothing. It's literally impossible to know anything from clothes

Personal experience does not vindicate an argument.

I'm just pointing out it isn't rare. I showed 3 women on here and asked people to guess their size and people guessed the size 14 to be a size 8-10 and the size 6 to be a size 10-12. Clothes size tells you not a lot
Reply 28
Lol good thing i have a fast metabolism.
I guess some people just eat a lot of the wrong kind of stuff and don't exercise :cookie:
Of course, but doing chores is not taxing. That's part of day to day life which everyone does.

No they aren't, some chores are pretty exerting
Reply 31
No they aren't, some chores are pretty exerting

Hardly, unless you're overweight, and unfit.

In that, do some proper exercise/.
Original post by NothingToSeeHere
Or they have a low metabolism.

It's not a myth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Pistol 33
Lol good thing i have a fast metabolism.

plz not this again lol......... im tired of disproving........
Reply 33
I'm just pointing out it isn't rare. I showed 3 women on here and asked people to guess their size and people guessed the size 14 to be a size 8-10 and the size 6 to be a size 10-12. Clothes size tells you not a lot

That just means that people don't know what body sizes are meant to look like.

But the correlation is, if one had the data, is that larger clothes sizes means you're a bigger or fatter person.
Slow metabolism combined with laziness.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
plz not this again lol......... im tired of disproving........

How are you going to disprove it?
Hardly, unless you're overweight, and unfit.

In that, do some proper exercise/.

What chores are you talking about? Lugging large equipment around I'd argue would be pretty exerting for a lot of people

That just means that people don't know what body sizes are meant to look like.

But the correlation is, if one had the data, is that larger clothes sizes means you're a bigger or fatter person.

Yet the assumed the smaller one as actually bigger?

It means that certain areas are bigger, but it doesn't mean the person is fatter or even visibly larger than the other
Original post by syrettd
More importantly, how do those people who are so fat they can't get out of bed STAY fat? Like seriously, who is bringing them food?

Family/friends I guess. I mean they need to eat.

Although I wonder if they wake up one day like "Damn, I can't get out of bed. It must have been either the 8th or 9th Big Mac I had last night."
Original post by honeyandlemon
I have PCOS (a hormone problem that causes weight gain) and currently as a size 10 have a 30FF chest.

I'm very curvy and am prone to putting on weight due to a medical reason and the heaviest I have ever been has been a bit overweight at a size 12, with a BMI of maybe 26 or so. This has been when I've been really upset and bingeing, eating a hideous diet and doing no exercise.

How are people size 16 and beyond?

because their mums were fat. and their mum's mum was fat. and their mum's mum's mum was fat.

it's in the blood. one cannot simply break the cycle
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 39
What chores are you talking about? Lugging large equipment around I'd argue would be pretty exerting for a lot of people

Yet the assumed the smaller one as actually bigger?

It means that certain areas are bigger, but it doesn't mean the person is fatter or even visibly larger than the other

Well normal chores, like washing dishes, loading up the washing machine, making a bed.

Such simple things cannot be considered to be exercise.

Lugging large equipment is basically weightlifting, and by definition, is exercise.

That is not within the realm of normal chores.

---

Again, I said it's a correlation. Again, most people aren't bigger in certain places which warrants a larger size of clothing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending