The Student Room Group

Seriously, how do people get so fat?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tehforum
If you need evidence to back up the claim that fatter people wear larger clothes sizes then I despair.

I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is for you to suggest that the reason most people wear larger clothes is because their fat is stupid, when there are loads of other reasons
Reply 61
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is for you to suggest that the reason most people wear larger clothes is because their fat is stupid, when there are loads of other reasons

Refer to the definition of a correlation again.
Reply 62
My problem is barely moving. I completely cut junk food out of my diet and I've ended up gaining weight lol. When you never need to go anywhere, you just end up sitting around and not doing anything. That's what's happening to me anyway.
Reply 63
Lack of self control, over eating and not exercising enough. When you get into the cycle of over eating and eating badly and **** foods, it is harder to break. What happens when you put too much water into a bath? It overflows. Fairly simple idea.

Some people may like looking fat and it isn't something to take the high ground over, e.g. "eww she's so fat".

People should never complain about being fat though... do SOMETHING about it.
I'm one of those people that have a thyroid condition (under active to be exact)... took me years to get a proper diagnosis and now I'm finally on Levothyroxine for it so can actually start to lose weight. For years I have been a size 16 (5ft 7 so it actually doesn't look too horrendous on me) - exercising for hours on end, running, competitively swimming etc. and doing all sorts of diets so my weight just didn't budge as my thyroid had albeit stopped working! Think my doctor just thought I was lying about all the exercise and stuff for a while. Anyway... so I guess I'm one of these fat people you're taking about! Starting to lose weight at last now I'm on proper meds :biggrin:
My point being is, don't judge a book by its cover, Ii am not lazy nor do I sleep all the time and eat constantly - I could probably run for longer than most 'thin' people! ha :smile:
Reply 65
Because they're allowed to eat as much as they want?

(I seriously do think that rationing will return to the UK at some point. Food prices can only rise until there really is not enough food left. And that goes for everything else we depend on too - including gas and electricity)
Reply 66
I really don't know, I'm moderately active and eat a lot and don't gain weight for ****. Metabolic differences aren't all that different between people, some people really just have zero self control
I think kids aren't encouraged enough to find a sport they love tbh. If you are exercising to keep thin, it's easy to not bother going to the gym. If you have a sport hat you love doing, you'll naturally get loads of exercise.

If you get fat, then I think that at some point there is a bit of a point of no return, where any exercise is going to be awkward and embarrassing and boringly aimed purely at shifting weight.

Anyway, it seems a bit of a mystery to me. I actively try to put on weight so I guess I was dealt a lucky hand in this regard.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 68
LOL

no it doesn't

keep fooling yourself that counts as a moderate form of exercise

You don't know about what you're talking about, small things like regular housework, walking etc, DO make a difference. It's moderate but over a space of time there is significant change
Reply 69
Of course, but doing chores is not taxing. That's part of day to day life which everyone does.

yes it is. I don't mind it being a bit dirty if it means I don't have to clean up. Biggest strain/pain in the world.
Reply 70
Original post by NothingToSeeHere
Or they have a low metabolism.

It's not a myth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You cant get morbidly obese if you have a "low metabolism." Metabolism is the energy your body uses per day, it is not a constant value. The amount of energy your body uses per day mostly depends on your weight and exercise level.

Heavier people have higher metabolisms because it requires more energy for someone who is big to move/function than someone who is skinny. When people say some people become fat because they have low metabolism it makes no sense at all from the scientific view point. If they are gaining weight their metabolism will increase so if they keep gaining weight they either have health issues or are simply eating too much.

Most of the time its the latter one that seems to be correct
Reply 71
Original post by syrettd
More importantly, how do those people who are so fat they can't get out of bed STAY fat? Like seriously, who is bringing them food?

The fat probably stays there as they aren't able to get out of bed to exercise. Even if they eat less than they did when they were able to walk to the cupboard to get some food, any weight loss resulting from being unable to move is minimal as they aren't exercising intensively for it to go. When you get to a morbidly obese stage (past the stage where you're fat but can be slim if you lose weight... this stage requires medical intervention) the fat will be very hard to go.
Reply 72
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
Family/friends I guess. I mean they need to eat.

Although I wonder if they wake up one day like "Damn, I can't get out of bed. It must have been either the 8th or 9th Big Mac I had last night."

Do people actually eat that many McDonalds though? Sometimes I have binges (I'm not fat) where I eat e.g. 6 creme eggs in one go, afterwards I can't go anywhere near a creme egg because it makes me feel disgusting. Surely they'd get to a point where eating so many McDonald meals means they won't want anymore and do something to eat more healthi? It's probably because they can't cook and don't have much money
Reply 73
Original post by infairverona
I wonder this a lot. I think if I ever had to buy maybe size 14 clothes that would be a turning point. Although maybe even if I had to buy 12s, I don't really know. I just don't understand how people can see their clothes not fitting any longer and carry on stuffing themselves, that would upset me so much.

5 minutes turns to 10. 10 to half an hour. half an hour to an hour. an hour to half a day. half a day to a day. a day to a week. a week to a fortnight. a fortnight to a month. etc.

some people lack the motivation to quit where they need to
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Do people actually eat that many McDonalds though? Sometimes I have binges (I'm not fat) where I eat e.g. 6 creme eggs in one go, afterwards I can't go anywhere near a creme egg because it makes me feel disgusting. Surely they'd get to a point where eating so many McDonald meals means they won't want anymore and do something to eat more healthi? It's probably because they can't cook and don't have much money

When they're sick of McDonalds they probably go to Burger King or KFC lol, I dunno.

I could eat 6 Creme Eggs right now though :colonhash:
Reply 75
Original post by honeyandlemon
I have PCOS (a hormone problem that causes weight gain) and currently as a size 10 have a 30FF chest.

I'm very curvy and am prone to putting on weight due to a medical reason and the heaviest I have ever been has been a bit overweight at a size 12, with a BMI of maybe 26 or so. This has been when I've been really upset and bingeing, eating a hideous diet and doing no exercise.

How are people size 16 and beyond?

PCOS doesn't cause weight gain it just makes it easier for you to gain weight and heightens your symptons of PMS..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
When they're sick of McDonalds they probably go to Burger King or KFC lol, I dunno.

I could eat 6 Creme Eggs right now though :colonhash:

I love them but I had a binge too recently
Reply 77
Original post by paddyman4
I think kids aren't encouraged enough to find a sport they love tbh. If you are exercising to keep thin, it's easy to not bother going to the gym. If you have a sport hat you love doing, you'll naturally get loads of exercise.

If you get fat, then I think that at some point there is a bit of a point of no return, where any exercise is going to be awkward and embarrassing and boringly aimed purely at shifting weight.

Anyway, it seems a bit of a mystery to me. I actively try to put on weight so I guess I was dealt a lucky hand in this regard.

Sports require mixing with other people. No thanks :plz2:
Quite simply, people today eat too much and eat too much of the wrong things. Exercise is helpful in reducing weight but ultimately diet is the primary control of a person size. We are a nation addicted to sugar and booze, two things that are excellent at causing weight gain. Go look round your local supermarket or convenience store, 80% of what they sell contains high amounts of sugar.

Couple this with an attitude of big is beautiful and stigma of criticising fat people and you've got a global health problem.
Original post by honeyandlemon
I have PCOS (a hormone problem that causes weight gain) and currently as a size 10 have a 30FF chest.

I'm very curvy and am prone to putting on weight due to a medical reason and the heaviest I have ever been has been a bit overweight at a size 12, with a BMI of maybe 26 or so. This has been when I've been really upset and bingeing, eating a hideous diet and doing no exercise.

How are people size 16 and beyond?

It depends.

Fat kids: When I was 8 or so I developed a health issue that led to weight gain. I was an active kid and my diet was controlled by a nutritionist to cut down on weight gain but I still managed to reach a size 16 when I was around 5'5 by the time I was 12 or so. I hated myself. Worst thing was that although the health wasn't an issue anymore by the time I was 13 or so, the weight stuck. Now at 18 I'm a healthy weight again but it took me years to 'shift' it because my body had developed with that extra fat. Fat kids tend to develop into fat adults, even if their habits change. If parents don't raise their kids well with regards to food and overall health+lifestyle then those kids have a disadvantage later on so it's not really their fault. I was lucky that I kept up with my sporty lifestyle and good diet because once I was healthy again, I didn't need to change anything but kids who are raised with bad parents aren't so fortunate.

Stress: Bad sleep and stress screw with your metabolism and eating patterns which can lead to weight loss or weight gain. Even if you eat okay when you're stressed and you're not sleeping well, you'll tend to gain or lose weight. Stress can also lead to comfort eating with some people which is why bullying an overweight person is never going to help them.

Genes/Bad health: A minority of overweight people genuinely are prone to being overweight due to genes. Some people have health issues that lead to uncontrollable weight gain.

Money: Unhealthy food is cheap food. Simple. If you want to eat well then you're going to have to spend a lot more. This family did an experiment with Channel 4 [I think?] where they tried to live off £5 each for a week with food. Their main complaint was that the healthy food was so expensive, five packets of crisps can probably buy you one apple. It's easier and cheaper to eat bad food.

Metabolism: You know how some slim people eat massive amounts of food and struggle to gain anything? Yeah, high metabolism. Same for some overweight people with low metabolisms who eat much less but gain a lot more. Having said this, most people can adjust their metabolisms slightly by changes in lifestyle and diet but it's nothing drastic.

'Addiction'/Lack of self control: Sugar tastes good and sets off the same part of your brain as drugs do although I don't think they've actually proved it to be addictive quite yet. Fatty/greasy foods also taste really good to a lot of people. If someone likes a particular food they'll probably keep eating it until they realise there's an issue which is too late for a lot of people.

Laziness: Some people are just pure lazy and it's their own fault they're that big.

I just wanted to make one point about dress sizes though. The main factors in dress size are bone structure and proportions, not necessarily how much fat you have on you body. Some people have slight frames while others are bigger, bone size isn't something you can control. My sister and I are both 5"9 but my bone structure is wider than hers. We checked once and my shoulders are 4 inches wider than hers and my hip bones are 5 inches wider, my knees are even bigger, it's just that we have different frames. Of course, how much fat someone has on their body and how it's distributed does effect dress size but it's not everything. My other friend is an ex-swimmer and although she's quit now, she still eats the same as before which led to her gaining a little weight. She's chubbier than me in proportion to her frame seeing as she's 5'3" and I'm 5'9 but she wear a size 8 while I wear a size 12. This picture might explain it a little:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending