The Student Room Group

Seriously, how do people get so fat?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paddyman4
I think kids aren't encouraged enough to find a sport they love tbh. If you are exercising to keep thin, it's easy to not bother going to the gym. If you have a sport hat you love doing, you'll naturally get loads of exercise.

Yep. Kids in the UK are not taught to value or enjoy sports/exercise. It's seen as a chore.

Add that to the exceedingly high number of fast food restaurants and how junk food is pushed from all angles, and you end up with a big problem.

It's systemic.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Actually being active in the day however that is does help

Shurrup Lannister!

The North Remembers.
Reply 82
OP, did you start this thread because you find fat people gross?
Reply 83
Some people just put on weight more than others.
Medical/biological background or low metabolism, which can happen to most. Otherwise, too much sitting & eating and less exercising!
Original post by honeyandlemon
I have PCOS (a hormone problem that causes weight gain) and currently as a size 10 have a 30FF chest.

I'm very curvy and am prone to putting on weight due to a medical reason and the heaviest I have ever been has been a bit overweight at a size 12, with a BMI of maybe 26 or so. This has been when I've been really upset and bingeing, eating a hideous diet and doing no exercise.

How are people size 16 and beyond?

pictures or it didn't happen
Reply 86
Original post by NothingToSeeHere
Or they have a low metabolism.

It's not a myth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep, it's those evil genetics

Because I love food and hate exercise. So I have to force myself. Some people love healthy foods...like, naturally love them, its so unfair..
Reply 88
Original post by xDave-
My problem is barely moving. I completely cut junk food out of my diet and I've ended up gaining weight lol. When you never need to go anywhere, you just end up sitting around and not doing anything. That's what's happening to me anyway.

Cutting out junk food won't do anything if you are still eating a caloric surplus
Original post by Ripper-Roo
The fat probably stays there as they aren't able to get out of bed to exercise. Even if they eat less than they did when they were able to walk to the cupboard to get some food, any weight loss resulting from being unable to move is minimal as they aren't exercising intensively for it to go. When you get to a morbidly obese stage (past the stage where you're fat but can be slim if you lose weight... this stage requires medical intervention) the fat will be very hard to go.

That's not true: people that fat require vast amounts of food to maintain their weight. If they don't move at all they still might need around 5000-6000 calories daily to prevent them losing weight. If they need 5000 calories daily then cutting down to 1500 a day will result in them losing a pound of fat a day, as fat contains roughly 3500 calories worth of energy.

It would be incredibly easy for people too fat to move to lose weight just by eating less, if they had the willpower. Like this incredibly fat girl who lost three stone in a week just by changing her diet
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2153968/Teenage-girl-cut-house-loses-stone-WEEK.html
Reply 90
And it's mainly from poor diet/them not realising how many calories are in sugary drinks and also down to being lazy. The metabolism argument is just a convenient excuse for lazy people
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Actually being active in the day however that is does help

this ^

I think being lazy is the biggest thing, the number of people in my halls who use the lift to go ONE flight of stairs, get a bus to somewhere that's a 5 minute cycle, sit all day watching TV etc - when you combine that with readily available high calorie food it's not suprising, I mean you dont have to eat THAT much in volume if all you ate is mcdonalds, take out and chocolate to be eating double your daily needs...

like I eat a lot and I like take outs + eating out etc but I think I only stay slim because A. my parents brought me up on a healthy diet so I can't take much greasy food before I just crave veggies (I think if you never ate them as a child you probaby wouldnt crave them) and B. I can't bear sitting around so even when I'm not working out I'm moving, fidgetting, or out doing something and I dont use buses etc unless I don't have a choice
Original post by honeyandlemon
Yeah but that's my point. I'm one of those people, and I've eaten lots of crap food and done no exercise. And even then I was never a morbidly obese whale!

Everyone has different metabolisms and rates of weight gain, I have a friend who doesn't exercise all that much and eats a tonne of rubbish food and he's still skinny as a bean pole.
Original post by Red.Revolution
Everyone has different metabolisms and rates of weight gain, I have a friend who doesn't exercise all that much and eats a tonne of rubbish food and he's still skinny as a bean pole.

Yeah but, http://examine.com/faq/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people.html
The people I know who are noticeably overweight all overeat, they have way too many high calorie snack foods and far too large a portion of food. Once you start eating too much you need more food to make you feel full and most people don't realise how many calories are in certain food or even how many calories are the recommended limit. Then there is the fact that its easier & quicker to cook unhealthy food/go to McDonalds/get a takeaway than make a healthy dish from scratch.

You don't have to exercise to be a healthy weight, I don't and I'm the right weight for my height (not that that is healthy for the rest of me but thats another matter)
Reply 95
because they don't do squats
White sugar. In everything.
Largely it's about viewing food in the wrong way.

People generally eat food because they're hungry. Now and again they might go to a restaurant or something for a treat, but they have other ways to "treat" themselves as well, so the focus is primarily on food just being sustenance.

In many cases though, obese people have a different view of food. They see it not only as sustenance, but as something to cheer themselves up with when they feel down, for something to do (eat) when they feel bored, for something to turn to when they're sad, for something to have when they're celebrating... it's so much more than just basic nutrition.
And unfortunately for many very overweight people, they enjoy the taste of unhealthy junk food far more than they enjoy the taste of salad!

So the weight starts to pile on, but they avoid the scales, knowing that their clothes are getting tighter but turning a blind eye to it, and just buy larger clothes instead, with excuses about how they need a new outfit for such-and-such an occasion, or excuses about generally needing more clothes, when really they had enough clothes in the first place it's just that they don't fit into them any more.

Once the cycle of eating and generally being in denial about it sets in, the person gets heavier, and the more weight they put on the harder they find it becomes to exercise. It's all very well and good telling people to move more, but if you're 30-odd stone, simply walking from one room to the next gives you extreme back pain, leg pain, and sets your heart racing so much that you're terrified you're going to have a heart attack. Is it any wonder then that they scoff at people who say to them ridiculous things like "get off the couch and go for a jog." Yeah sure that's fine for somebody who is moderately overweight, but in many cases people just let the weight creep on, and by the time they realise how much they've gained, they're at the stage where they simply CANNOT "just go for a jog." Literally they can't, it would kill them.

So then they're in the unfortunate position of not knowing how to lose weight. Their attitude to food is still all wrong, but even if they manage to get their heads in the right frame of mind of viewing food as sustenance rather than food being seen almost as a friend, if they suddenly go on a low calorie diet they simply won't stick to it because their stomach is so severely stretched that they literally feel starving. Not just hungry, but so hungry that it physically hurts. Not many people could stick with that sort of feeling for long. And to top it all off they really can't just go jogging, they can't even get off a chair! So you could suggest to them that they do small 'chair exercises' - lifting their legs up one by one, or pumping their arms in the air, for example, and they might do that, but it'll be so frustrating for them because it'll seem like a rubbish excuse for an exercise, and the weight loss results won't be particularly fast, and of course ultimately then they'll get so upset with themselves that they'll end up turning back to food for comfort.

It's a vicious cycle, and sometimes people do genuinely want to lose the weight, they just have no idea where to start and feel helpless about it.

Really unless you've been morbidly obese, or known anybody who is morbidly obese, it's not the kind of thing you can easily analyse without being critical. Sure they did it to themselves in the first place, but then again anorexics are the same, only opposite. It starts with the wrong attitude towards food.
(edited 10 years ago)
OP, you sound pretty insensitive in the way you've phrased this thread. You've struggled with your weight yourself, and yet you come across as though you look down on anyone who happens to be bigger than a size 12? Bit unfair. Specially when sizes vary so much across women.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tehforum
because they don't do squats

Let's be real tea, everything that is wrong in the world is caused by people not doing squats.

:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending