The Student Room Group

Seriously, how do people get so fat?

Scroll to see replies

too many cream cakes
Because they get told its not their fault.
Original post by lipslikemorphine
Yeah...No.
It seems that you just made this thread to tell everyone that you were kind of slim and had ridiculously large boobs :rolleyes:

My thoughts too...
Original post by lipslikemorphine
Yeah...No.
It seems that you just made this thread to tell everyone that you were kind of slim and had ridiculously large boobs :rolleyes:

No I didn't. But whatever - keep thinking that if you want. ;
A lot of people eat their feelings away. Like, for me, I started using food as a source of comfort when my family moved country after my father died. Not knowing England obviously made it easier for me to be a recluse and not get exercise et voila- an 11st 9 year old girl. I did lose it all a year ago but now I struggle with bulimia, since the binging compulsion is hard to get rid of. I'd rather be overweight and healthy than what I am now tbh.

Edit: Also, for some people it's genuinely difficult to maintain their weight. For example, my sister, who's 25 eats reasonably but as soon as she gains a few pounds she loses it without putting the effort it. By contrast, if I gain a bit I will have to exercise more and eat way less than she does.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sk123456
There is a theory about a gene that some overweight parents pass on to their children

There are many theories, but any genetic link is negligible. You may have a tendency to gain weight, but you also have a choice of how much food you eat, and virtually nobody is messed up enough physically to mean that this method doesn't work.

This is something that I have learned myself, the hard way, through much research and experimentation.
Original post by Tom78
I don't think I'm being naive in saying it's not even hard to lose weight, I reckon I could make anyone lose weight it's very simple:

You've exceeded the amount of calories that your body needs each day, just calculate how many calories you're eating (say by logging every meal you eat) then cut out snacks and go back to 3 fairly-sized portions of healthy balanced food each day. If you can fit in exercise (ideally trips to the gym) then great, if not try to just walk more instead of driving etc.

Am I missing something here? Is it really any more complicated than that?

You're right, that's basically it. It's the mindset behind it though that's hard to change. Some people are emotionally addicted to the wrong types of food. Plus, as I explained earlier, some people are actually too big to even walk across their living room, so exercise is very very hard.
Reply 167
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
You're right, that's basically it. It's the mindset behind it though that's hard to change. Some people are emotionally addicted to the wrong types of food. Plus, as I explained earlier, some people are actually too big to even walk across their living room, so exercise is very very hard.

these people can lose weight the easiest out of anyone, you don't even need to exercise to lose weight, all it requires is a caloric deficit, because these people are morbidly obease and so huge they will have a massive tdee even when sitting on the couch all day, they could sit on their ass and eat 3000 cals a day and end up losing like 3 lbs a week, then when they reach a smaller size they can start exercising
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 168
Original post by tehforum
LOL

no it doesn't

keep fooling yourself that counts as a moderate form of exercise

Any exercise helps. I mean even standing longer instead of sitting can help you lose weight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24532996
Original post by sandbags
these people can lose weight the easiest out of anyone, you don't even need to exercise to lose weight, all it requires is a caloric deficit, because these people are morbidly obease and so huge they will have a massive tdee even when sitting on the couch all day, they could sit on their ass and eat 3000 cals a day and end up losing like 3 lbs a week, then when they reach a smaller size they can start exercising

How many morbidly obese people have you had the experience of dealing with?
Reply 170
Why is other peoples' weight such a source of endless fascination to people??

I'm 14 stone 7 which is classed as obese and I don't go out much or do any exercise

Some people look at you as if you've broken the law or something so is it any wonder I'm not overly keen on going out?

I can deal with it but going outside is generally just less interesting than being inside

People are annoying and judgmental so where is my reward for mixing with them?

I am cutting down but it is hard if you are used to eating bad stuff and not exercising

I feel I have no strong motivation to lose weight though as it would be to impress shallow ****wits like the ppl on this thread whose lives are so boring they end up speculating about the eating habits of fat people - that's pretty sad imo! I always knew the skinny lookers were boring but that's ridiculous! lol

Mainly I want to lose weight to look better in my clothes and have more that fit me

Slim people need people like me to make themselves feel all smug and 'better than' as their personalities certainly aren't going to do it for them!

I usually see them out and about on their own, when walking with my partner - speaks reams about what their company's like!

If I see a person larger than me I feel sorry for them as I know they're getting an even larger dose of judgmentalism than me

I also think about a woman a friend told me about at his workplace who was very overweight and committed suicide

She'd probably had enough of the spiteful attitudes
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by aeon439
Why is other peoples' weight such a source of endless fascination to people??

I'm 14 stone 7 which is classed as obese and I don't go out much or do any exercise

Some people look at you as if you've broken the law or something so is it any wonder I'm not overly keen on going out?

I can deal with it but going outside is generally just less interesting than being inside

People are annoying and judgmental so where is my reward for mixing with them?

I am cutting down but it is hard if you are used to eating bad stuff and not exercising

I feel I have no strong motivation to lose weight though as it would be to impress shallow ****wits like the ppl on this thread whose lives are so boring they end up speculating about the eating habits of fat people - that's pretty sad imo! I always knew the skinny lookers were boring but that's ridiculous! lol

Mainly I want to lose weight to look better in my clothes and have more that fit me

Slim people need people like me to make themselves feel all smug and 'better than' as their personalities certainly aren't going to do it for them!

I usually see them out and about on their own, when walking with my partner - speaks reams about what their company's like!

If I see a person larger than me I feel sorry for them as I know they're getting an even larger dose of judgmentalism than me

I also think about a woman a friend told me about at his workplace who was very overweight and committed suicide

She'd probably had enough of the spiteful attitudes

How about this for motivation:

You will;

- Feel better in everyday life
- Reduce your risk of many horrible illnesses
- Increase your life expectancy
- Have more energy
- Be more confident
- Look better

Believe me i know it's hard, but we're all gonna make it :smile:
Reply 172
Original post by Spetznaaz
How about this for motivation:

You will;

- Feel better in everyday life
- Reduce your risk of many horrible illnesses
- Increase your life expectancy
- Have more energy
- Be more confident
- Look better

Believe me i know it's hard, but we're all gonna make it :smile:

Ironically I used to get more people making rude comments in passing about me when I was slimmer than i do now, so 'looking better' to me means reaching a level of slimness whereby you enter the daily Miss World competition held by every passing group of men and and being found not good enough. Being overweight means you don't even get entered and are therefore less likely to be judged; in my experience.

I have no desire to impress anyone in other words.

I don't particularly want to increase my life expectancy either. I saw my Mother die horribly of cancer in 2010 and my father has Alzheimers and is in a care home so I don't plan on hanging around for either of those conditions to make my life worse

Be more confident - when you have Aspergers you can be as confident as you like but when the majority put you in the category of 'lesser than me' or see you as simple or something what's the point?? I am staggeringly more intelligent than the average person who dares judge me so why on earth would I want to conform to be more like these people to try and get them to like me? I loathe them! I don't want to be in their stupid club in the first place!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending