The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why don't people dress smart anymore?

This isn't meant as an insult. More out of curiousity. When you look at pictures of bygone days, everyone looked smart and well dressed. People were generally classy.

dresden.jpg
1950s-Fashion-12.jpg
1950s-clark-at-podium-270.jpg
Women looked attractive, had nicely done hair, and looked feminine. Men also had nice hairstyles, dressed very dapper, and generally people looked nice.

Now, we have two extremes. Either people don't make an effort and look boring like this

Britney-Spears--ma_1621105a.jpg
article-2370138-1AE21998000005DC-819_634x817.jpg

Which is scruffy and ugly, or they do this

618_star_snaps_amy_childs.jpg
geordie-shore-james.jpg

And wear horrible tacky clothes. Wtf society why :frown: Maybe it's just me, but I think everyone looks so much better with a bit of class from BOTH genders. What happened?

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

It all depends on your definition of boring, you may consider 60/70s clothes interesting whereas someone else might not.

TBH, I think people are a lot more chavvy and casual now, so they don't really need to dress as smart.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Simply because ain't nobody got time for dat..
I used to think this. I think all the men's styles of old were hunky, but the women's - I would look ridiculous in one of those mid calf length dresses. I think they'd make me look really short.
Old clothes like they have in period dramas are nice.
Original post by majmuh24
It all depends on your definition of boring, you may consider 60/70s clothes interesting whereas someone else might not.

TBH, I think people are a lot more chavvy and casual now, so they don't really need to dress as smart.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know not everyone's going to have the same tastes, but it doesn't take long to put a bit of effort in instead of just wearing a ripped t shirt and jeans.

Again, I'm asking why are people more chavvy and casual
Agreed , nothing makes me feel as good as wearing a well fitted suit,
Moved to society, and I think I dress somewhat smartly?

Original post by Jaegon Targaryen

Suits are awesome! It's finding the opportunity to wear one however, without looking like an idiot ie: at work :biggrin:
You mean old fashioned. Lots of people dress smart but don't look like any of the pictures you posted.
Original post by Maid Marian
I used to think this. I think all the men's styles of old were hunky, but the women's - I would look ridiculous in one of those mid calf length dresses. I think they'd make me look really short.
Old clothes like they have in period dramas are nice.

You could get them taken up! I'm tall so I like long dresses, but you can find loads of replicas that are knee length and above :biggrin:
nobody cares anymore, fashion changes and there's no time...
It's probably down to perspective. God knows how people in 500 years time will view the way we dressed?
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen

Same. Dress, petticoat, red lips and I feel fabulous :tongue:

Original post by de_monies
Moved to society, and I think I dress somewhat smartly?

Yeah you seem to! Some people do it's just less common than it used to be
Because I don't do mornings, I grab a top, I grab a pair of jeans if it's warm in summer I throw on a dress and save myself the trouble, put on some make-up and tie my hair up so I don't have to straighten it. Also jumpers are comfortable. I do have nice clothes but I don't put a tonne of effort in everyday.

I do love 50's clothes though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Yeah I know not everyone's going to have the same tastes, but it doesn't take long to put a bit of effort in instead of just wearing a ripped t shirt and jeans.

Again, I'm asking why are people more chavvy and casual

Yeah, fair enough.

People are more lazy and can't be bothered, society has become less bothered about the type of clothes a person is wearing, I could go on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
not enough money
Reply 15
You mean dress like they did 3000 years ago, not smartly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I personally would never dress like women used to dress, I'd feel ridiculous. It suits some girls/ women but not me. Same with frilly/ flowery things, it just isn't me. I love the relaxed look, it's what I think I look best in and what I feel most comfortable in. I admire women who make that kind of effort, but it's just not for me.
Yeah but why do people feel revealing tops (like the ones I posted on the man and woman) are nice? Why do they feel being orange is nice? Or why do they feel not bothering is nice?

Yes there's more to class than clothing

Original post by majmuh24
Yeah, fair enough.

People are more lazy and can't be bothered, society has become less bothered about the type of clothes a person is wearing, I could go on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I think society is a lot lazier and scruffier and it shows in clothes which is sad
Reply 18
youre talking out your arse most good lads will wear nice skinnys sick trainers and a tshirt/shirt on a night out which is far more respectable than what you linked at the top
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Same. Dress, petticoat, red lips and I feel fabulous :tongue:

Yeah you seem to! Some people do it's just less common than it used to be

I swear you're only going on my fb photo :tongue:

Agreed, in general, people don't necessarily dress so "smartly" - it's a little annoying to see topman kinda clothes in Burton (it's smarter, bigger brother)

Latest

Trending

Trending