The Student Room Group

Lordosis

I believe I have lordosis which is basically where my back goes inwards, making my stomach and backside look bigger than it actually is and also causes back pain occasionally

I have done a bit of research about this and found that I need to strengthen my abs, glutes, hamstrings and lose weight. Are there any other exercises or others things I could do?.. also how does strengthening those muscles help reduce lordosis?

thanks for your advice/help
Reply 1
Get a proper diagnosis before you start treatment , I.e. Go to your gp :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Blyts-_
I believe I have lordosis which is basically where my back goes inwards, making my stomach and backside look bigger than it actually is and also causes back pain occasionally

I have done a bit of research about this and found that I need to strengthen my abs, glutes, hamstrings and lose weight. Are there any other exercises or others things I could do?.. also how does strengthening those muscles help reduce lordosis?

thanks for your advice/help

I agree with the poster above, you should seek a medical professional before commencing any treatment. You might not even have lordosis, but then again you could do. Do you get any back pain?

Lordosis accompanies something we call anterior pelvic tilt - where the pelvis tilts forward. You can imagine a pelvis like a bucket of water - you need it to be balanced - if the bucket tips forward, the water falls out, tipped backwards, same thing. Basically, the hip flexors, your back muscles, the glutes (bum), hamstrings and abs all attach to the pelvis, and pull on the pelvis to tilt it forwards or backwards. If some of those muscles are too tight, then they tilt the pelvis. Similarly, if some of those muscles are too weak, then the pelvis can't be balanced in the right position.

Strengthening glutes and abs is important for correcting lordosis, but its also vital to stretch the tight muscles which are contributing - so you should stretch your hip flexors with warrior lunges.

You should feel a stretch in the front of the hip, and you should NOT get lower back pain when doing these - if you do, you're not performing it correctly. Remember to squeeze your bum when you do these.

Quick Reply

Latest