The Student Room Group

Eating 1,100 calories and losing 1,100 calories

Hi guys,
So recently I have gained weight and am currently seeking to lose it fast as I am really insecure about it. I am 18 year old girl, 5'5 and weigh 66.8kg. I want to lose about 1 or 2 kg a week. I am currently eating 1,100 calories a day which I believe is good,

I have read that eating 1,1000 calories a day for a week means I will lose 1 kg a week. So my question is that if I eat 1,100 calories a day AND on top of that exercise to lose an extra 1,100 calories how much weight will this mean I can lose a week. Would this technically equal to losing 2kg a week or am I doing the math wrong?

And before any of you say it is unethical, I find my food portions really filling and am able to eat 100g of protein a day within the calorie amount. I also had lost 1,100 calories a few days by walking one hour to the gym and back (500 calories-ish lost) and doing 500 calories worth of cardio in the gym then the extra 100 calories through just walking around the house, gym, shops etc.

So if I am able to do this every day for say three weeks would I be able to reach 60kg more or less?
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
Even if you have gained weight, maybe its part of you still developing, because you aren't overweight. Why do you think it has happened?

Weight loss shouldn't be done quickly and certainly no more than 1kg a week. Eating only 1100 calories a day isn't good; it's put you in too big a deficit, especially when you are active. Eat more, and ensure it's a healthy and balanced diet and maybe you just need to make some minor changes to your lifestyle comparing what you did before to now.
100g protein per day is too much. Aim for 45 to 50g per day.

Aim for more than 100g of fibre per day.
Aim to eat 50 types of different plants per week.

Aim to reduce fat, refined sugar and sodium intake from that of the typical UK diet.

It's much better to snack on half a pack of fresh berries than a chocolate bar or packet of crisps.
Sweet potatoes are better than potatoes.
Unsalted nuts are associated with longer average lifespans.

Your BMI of 24.5 isn't too tragically bad, but you are quite right in being concerned and doing something about it if you were heading towards a BMI of over 25.

Chances are that a couple of simple changes to your eating and drinking habits will get your weight heading towards 55 to 60 kgs and then staying there. And will do so in a way that will leave you feeling better. More alive, more alert, better mood.

It's more important to get into good long term dietary and lifestyle habits than it is to shed 10kgs in 10 weeks.

Yes you can lose 1 to 2 kgs per week by going on a semi-fasting diet. It's better if you do this sort of regime under close medical supervision.

Read Sherry Argov's Why Men Love *****es. This should help with your insecurity.
Original post by User3030
Hi guys,
So recently I have gained weight and am currently seeking to lose it fast as I am really insecure about it. I am 18 year old girl, 5'5 and weigh 66.8kg. I want to lose about 1 or 2 kg a week. I am currently eating 1,100 calories a day which I believe is good,

I have read that eating 1,1000 calories a day for a week means I will lose 1 kg a week. So my question is that if I eat 1,100 calories a day AND on top of that exercise to lose an extra 1,100 calories how much weight will this mean I can lose a week. Would this technically equal to losing 2kg a week or am I doing the math wrong?

And before any of you say it is unethical, I find my food portions really filling and am able to eat 100g of protein a day within the calorie amount. I also had lost 1,100 calories a few days by walking one hour to the gym and back (500 calories-ish lost) and doing 500 calories worth of cardio in the gym then the extra 100 calories through just walking around the house, gym, shops etc.

So if I am able to do this every day for say three weeks would I be able to reach 60kg more or less?

Hi, I'm a pt so I deal with questions like this on a regular basis. Being in quite a substantial deficit at 1100 cals and then burning 1100 cals through extra exercise will probably end up with your metabolism crashing and your weight plateuing so in effect, it will only probably work short term.
Also considering you are active, consuming 1100 cals a day is very very low and you'll end up just burning out, especially as you are planning on upping the exercise. At the lowest, I would recommend to you 1400 cals per day. Remember food is fuel!
By the way, 100g of protein is perfect and it is not too much. When losing weight, protein helps us feel satiated and full and it also encourages the growth and preservation of lean muscle mass.

Quick Reply

Latest