The Student Room Group

Denounced for giving chocolate to a homeless person

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ruffiio
In one of my seminars as just part of a fun activity it was decided to do a friendly competition to see who could come up with the best story on the topic. I won the competition and received a packet of dairy milk chocolate which the lecturer bought out of her money.

My classmates wanted me to share it with them but I later gave it to a homeless person who I always see outside Tesco asking for change. They later asked me whether I still had the chocolate and I told them that I gave it the homeless man and they denounced me for it telling me they was ashamed of me and they would of never have given it to him.

I'm not sure whether I feel good or bad about it.. I feel like I have let down my classmates and feel like doing so might of also earned the disapproval of my lecturer since she paid for it out of her money as a reward to myself. There is obviously also the possibility that the homeless person could of just been wanting change because he wanted to buy alcohol, at least that is the general perception i gather most people think of homeless people's intentions. Or whether I should feel like I done something good, although I know it wasn't much it probably would of lightened him up a bit as to rather given him a bag of apples or some other food item.

What do you think? :/

you hang around some very odd friends
Original post by Ruffiio
...I told them that I gave it the homeless man and they denounced me for it telling me they was ashamed of me and they would of never have given it to him...

Your classmates are self-serving reactionaries.
Reply 22
Lovely gesture. I wouldn't worry about it.
I wish there were more people like you OP. Tell your friends to get lost.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Ruffiio
they was

I done

I think I'd be ashamed of you, though for unrelated reasons.
Your lecturer gave it to you, so it was now your Chocolate, so you had the right to do whatever you wanted with it.
I think it's nice you gave to to a homeless man :redface:
Personally I feel you did the right thing and plus if you gave him money he could have used it to buy alcohol or drugs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Surely your friends could go to the supermarket and buy their own chocolate with their spare change?

I think it's a pretty ace thing to do, and (to some above posters) it's hardly fair to characterise someone you've never met as an alcoholic. Not everyone is homeless because of substance abuse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending