The Student Room Group

Mental health and college?

Deleted
(edited 11 months ago)
Apart from going to the doctors which I hope does help for you as they have a lot of connections, I think you should go see whoever is in charge of the quality of student life at your college. They should, firstly, be able to talk to somebody who can hopefully help you, you should also tell them about your biology tutor. She does not sound professional in any way and definitely doesn't sound as if she is helping your situation.

It's natural to feel low and emotional at times but as I'm sure you know, the length of the time that you have been feeling this low isn't healthy and you should seek help from as many different places as possible. Doctors, mentors particularly for the quality of student life and maybe even a counsellor which most colleges offer or have connections to if you feel that this would help.

If you are experiencing problems and feeling emotional over certain things then just try and think positively about them? I know that is not easy so try and talk to your family and friends about how you're feeling.

I hope things get better for you and if you need someone to talk to as you're feeling lonely then I'm always here to help anyone who needs it.
Original post by physicsbook
Thank you for your reply and advice, I've decided that tomorrow I'll look into getting some support from the college in some shape or form, or see if they at least have some advice and support to give me.

I've spoken to my mum but she lives in a different country so she can only help so much. Since I posted this thread I've spoken to my dad and he's given my some phone numbers to call if I need some one professional to talk to but apart from that I don't think he knows what to do.

Thank you again for your reply, I really do appreciate it and have found it has helped.

Well I'm glad that my post has been some help to you. Don't feel nervous about speaking to your college for help either. They most likely will have had a similar situation in the past and so should be able to help you.

i'm glad that you've spoken to your parents as they will be a big support network for you and will help you in whatever way they can.
I hope you feel better soon and get the support you need and if you need anymore help then just message me. Here to help :smile:
Original post by physicsbook
So I've cried everyday since around the middle-ish of October (2013), I feel upset, down, sad, low all the time.

Sometimes I feel too upset and anxious to eat, so I don't eat for days. Other times I feel too sad to sleep and I can't seem to sleep because I just lie down and end up thinking of all this horrible stuff and end up crying too much to fall asleep. Usually I can only fall asleep if I am at the point where I cannot keep my eyes open.

Almost everyday I find it hard to get up and go to college because I'm either too tired from lack of sleep or too warn-out from feeling so low. This is effecting certain subjects like my biology, which is my least favourite subject and so I can't find any motivation at all to do it when I am in this state. I also don't need it to get into uni, so its sort of an extra subject. (Should I drop it?)

I'm doing fine in maths and physics because these are my favourite subjects and I usually do them to keep away the bad thoughts and feelings, so I'm not worried about these subjects which is good.

My tutor at college sent me home the other day because she didn't think I was in the right mind to participate or be in lessons, I have one teacher (unfortunately my biology teacher) who told me I was taking the piss the other day when I tired talking to her about my work and how I am struggling. She also makes me anxious and I find it hard to talk to her because she talks about other students behind their backs, the other day she read out an email one of the people in our class sent her explaining that he was ill so that we could "have a laugh" which is really unprofessional, so I hope you can see why I find it hard telling her anything.

I don't really know but apart from going to the doctors because I am already doing that has anyone got any advice, whether you've been through this or not, or have been through similar anything will be appreciated.

This makes me so sad to read! I hope you feel better soon, and I see that your tutor is a total ****! I'd definitely recommend dropping a subject you don't need for uni, that's what I did and I was much happier!
Good luck x
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest