The Student Room Group

Washing through hydrophobic molecules

Bit of a long-shot, but thought I would ask as you never know...

I am using microcon centrifuge filters to seperate catalase from some solutions. That bit works fine, but I am finding that the membrane on the filter is retaining some of the other molecules in the solution that I do not want to filter (and hence messing up my concentrations in the filtrate). The molecules in question are acetylated homoserine lactones (AHLs). From their structure, I believe them to be hydrophobic. Does anyone know of an appropriate solution that I could use to wash these AHLs out of the membrane?
Reply 1
nikk
Bit of a long-shot, but thought I would ask as you never know...

I am using microcon centrifuge filters to seperate catalase from some solutions. That bit works fine, but I am finding that the membrane on the filter is retaining some of the other molecules in the solution that I do not want to filter (and hence messing up my concentrations in the filtrate). The molecules in question are acetylated homoserine lactones (AHLs). From their structure, I believe them to be hydrophobic. Does anyone know of an appropriate solution that I could use to wash these AHLs out of the membrane?

lol, i have no idea...

what are you doing anyway?

remember that stasitically speaking... biology experiments have a probility higher than 1 that they will fail...

:wink:
Reply 2
coursework.info
Need more help? You could get help with this question at Coursework.Info

I luv dis bot...

U lyk get ur wrk lyk dun so u dnt hve to lyk wrk ursef...

Its lyk gr8 cuz i lyk gt an 'A' for dis **** dat wernt lyk me own ****...

PS. I swear someone should start a 'KILL THE COURSEWORK BOT' society...
Reply 3
Revenged
lol, i have no idea...

what are you doing anyway?

remember that stasitically speaking... biology experiments have a probility higher than 1 that they will fail...

The idea is to synthesize a range of reactive oxygen species and expose a particular range of AHLs to it. I then mix these AHLs with a biosensor, which is essentially E.coli with a plasmid inserted for bioluminescence, but missing the gene for the enzyme that produces AHLs. I then pipette our a series of wells on a microtitre plate for differing concentrations / types of ROS / AHL, incubate in a plate reader to measure the OD and luminescence.

haha - you are actually right - it has been a bit of a disaster so far and I am getting the opposite results that I should be getting (I know it should work because it was tried last year by another scholarship student, although I was meant to verify this and expand on it). Grrrrr....why do I like biology again?
Reply 4
coursework.info
Need more help? You could get help with this question at Coursework.Info

**** you.
Reply 5
nikk
Grrrrr....why do I like biology again?

Perhaps it's cuz you love to do unpaid lab work in the holidays...

Reply 6
Revenged
Perhaps it's cuz you love to do unpaid lab work in the holidays...

It's paid :p: - scholarship :biggrin:
Reply 7
nikk
It's paid :p: - scholarship :biggrin:

ok, i didn't realise that...
Reply 8
AHLs are hydrophobic, but they are still soluble enough to pass through the membrane. They do this all the time as part of their role in Quorum Sensing.

I don't really see what you are doing. Exposing AHLs to reactive species, and then seeing whether they can still activate gene expression? If this is the case why do you need to purify out the AHLs in the first place?
Reply 9
Tom H
AHLs are hydrophobic, but they are still soluble enough to pass through the membrane. They do this all the time as part of their role in Quorum Sensing.

I don't really see what you are doing. Exposing AHLs to reactive species, and then seeing whether they can still activate gene expression? If this is the case why do you need to purify out the AHLs in the first place?

By membrane, I was referring to the membrane on a centrifugal filter - not a plasma membrane! :p:

Primarily to prove a link between the ROS and the AHLs. If high concentrations of ROS were exposed directly to a microbial culture, it would either kill them or significantly affect their growth. There would be no way to prove a causal link between ROS and modification of the AHL (the biosensor lacks luxI and so cannot produce the enzyme to make their own AHL). In addition, I later intend to use mass spectrometry to find out exactly how the AHLs are being modified.

The filter is used simply to remove enzymes that I have used to generate the ROS and enzymes to prevent further ROS production once I have finished. This is essential before the reaction mixture is added to the biosensor culture, otherwise the ROS could affect the bacteria themselves, as discussed above. There are other complicating factors, such as a theory that the presence of catalase (one of the enzymes I am filtering out) also affects bioluminescence.

Oh, and some AHLs are definitely being retained in the filter membrane.

Latest

Trending

Trending