The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

if WW3 broke out would women be drawn up to fight?

Scroll to see replies

a) It wouldn't last long enough.

b) The state of emergency powers that would be introduced would mean everyone in the UK obeying some sort of orders.
In the unlikely event that WW3 would happen and in the even more unlikely event that we'd have to bring in conscription I think people should be enlisted based upon their physical and mental ability to fight rather than their gender. However if there is another world war it would not be about man power but more about drones/ threatening of nuclear action.

However (and I know this is going to piss people off) would we still be in the same situation regarding Russia and Ukraine if Putin was a woman?
I think even if war occurred it wouldn't be like it was, you don't have wave after wave of cannon fodder running across muddy fields these days, we still have a sizable number of groups and many reservists. I think there would be a lot more vehicular usage before it got to the point that we had no choice but to stand massing of ground troops to get obliterated by the types of aerial offense and long range ballistic missiles most nations have these days. Anyway all the big players have ICBM's at the ready, it's a stalemate before anything really starts. If things got extreme we might skirmish over Ukraine for a little while until both sides knew each other were serious, then we'd have some compromise which sees the Ukraine split East/West with Russia basically taking the East as its own territory, so..it basically comes out on top.
Reply 43
Original post by P357
please,for the love of christ, HOW are women and men equal in physical strength?? i beg of you-give me an explanation with factual evidence

Well they aren't are they. At all. But as someone here said, we can't give birth. Just as well because if we could and they couldn't, that would be sexist.
Original post by MoneypennyLyon
In the unlikely event that WW3 would happen and in the even more unlikely event that we'd have to bring in conscription I think people should be enlisted based upon their physical and mental ability to fight rather than their gender. However if there is another world war it would not be about man power but more about drones/ threatening of nuclear action.

However (and I know this is going to piss people off) would we still be in the same situation regarding Russia and Ukraine if Putin was a woman?

Why wouldn't we be? If you think Putin's being a woman would change his personality so that he wouldn't do what he's doing, it would no longer be Putin, would it? What a stupid question.
Reply 45
Original post by Huskaris
Well they aren't are they. At all. But as someone here said, we can't give birth. Just as well because if we could and they couldn't, that would be sexist.

yes I said that.
Why then,is pretty much everyone here-yourself included-complaining that women not joining the army is sexism against men???
Reply 46
Original post by P357
yes I said that.
Why then,is pretty much everyone here-yourself included-complaining that women not joining the army is sexism against men???

So conscript on strength not on gender
Reply 47
Original post by Huskaris
So conscript on strength not on gender

the military needs a certain amount of people.
men will always be the stronger ones-save from 5/6 women maybe...
I still don't get why people are having this discussion.
Reply 48
Original post by Chlorophile
I find it hard to believe that simple propaganda would work. The only thing I can imagine working is for there to be some kind of new Gulf of Tonkin-esque situation to convince people that they are personally under attack (in a similar way to the US' war of terror at the moment).

Don't underestimate the power of propaganda. It's got us believing that the people were killing in their own homes are bad people and are a serious threat to us even though their main method of transportation is camel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Numan786
Don't underestimate the power of propaganda. It's got us believing that the people were killing in their own homes are bad people and are a serious threat to us even though their main method of transportation is camel.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Not all of us believe that :P
Original post by lucindatownsend
Here's an interesting fact:
If conscription is re-introduced then the first people to be conscripted will be people whose national insurance numbers end with the letter A then B etc.

I'm a P so it would take a while... But to be honest, I would want to fight for my country. I don't think I'd be comfortable knowing there were people dying for me and I was doing nothing.
Reply 51
Original post by blue n white army
you being serious?

You are the one who claimed men got the vote in exchange for going down mines.
Care to retract that assertion?
Original post by P357
yes I said that.

Oh I don't know. May be they are complaining about listening to feminists and women in general banging on about equality and how they can do anything men can. Men are all but redundant. In fact everything can be done from an office with a computer terminal. Poor old Y chromozone pathetic useless thing that it is. Check out Mumsnet, there's pages and pages of it.
Then fast forward to a thread about drafting for a remotely possible war and suddenly people are saying that women cant do what men can do. IE die on a battlefield.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Horsedobbin
You are the one who claimed men got the vote in exchange for going down mines.
Care to retract that assertion?

No. What I was saying was that men often got a lot of benefits in society but they also had to do the crap stuff e.g. going down mines, fighting in wars, working in factories etc. So it balances things out. now women want all the good stuff with out balancing it out with the bad stuff, so they don't want true equality.

To give an analogy. My line manager always works an extra hour a day. In return he gets monday afternoon off. If I were to demonstrate the same attitude as some feminists I would also demand monday afternoons off but I would refuse to work an extra hour every day.

Also your point about mines being pointless and it only taking 10 minutes. Was that a joke or were you being serious.
Reply 55
Original post by caravaggio2
Oh I don't know. May be they are complaining about listening to feminists and women in general banging on about equality and how they can do anything men can. Men are all but redundant. In fact everything can be done from an office with a computer terminal. Poor old Y chromozone pathetic useless thing that it is. Check out Mumsnet, there's pages and pages of it.
Then fast forward to a thread about drafting for a remotely possible war and suddenly people are saying that women cant do what men can do. IE die on a battlefield.

Mhm, yeah that's nice.What exactly is this adding to the debate may I ask?a whole load of generalizations? So what if some feminists rage about how ****ty men are? Big whoop-should i redirect you to the nearest body-building forum(lovely threads there,about how all females are wh0res and mentally inferior and god,everything you could ever wish for)?oh boo hoo- cause all men are such great protective creatures that have never had anything but love for women and them horrible feminists are trying to sabotage everything about them...get over yourself. for every women out there that says she can do everything a man can,there'll always be a man(or even more in some parts) that'll declare all females as good for nothings(excluding sex) and easily-disposable.
Nevertheless-all of the above is not adding anything to the debate.
It's not about whether women should or should not die on the battlefield-heck i'm sure tonnes of men would physically get off from watching that.
the point is that including women on the battlefield is sabotaging the war effort-we can't fight. You don't see feminists or governments encouraging males to be human incubators. That'd be ridiculous. Female conscription is also akin to having a death-wish on a national scale.
Original post by lucindatownsend
Here's an interesting fact:
If conscription is re-introduced then the first people to be conscripted will be people whose national insurance numbers end with the letter A then B etc.

Well if this is true (and it is something I've heard before) then I'm a C, so I'd be going pretty early on.

Well, not really, because I'd be a conchie, but you get my point.
Considering most people would rather fight their own government I think the only way it could become reality is if they did a big enough false-flag, ie: nuke London.
Original post by blue n white army
No. What I was saying was that men often got a lot of benefits in society but they also had to do the crap stuff e.g. going down mines, fighting in wars, working in factories etc. So it balances things out. now women want all the good stuff with out balancing it out with the bad stuff, so they don't want true equality.

To give an analogy. My line manager always works an extra hour a day. In return he gets monday afternoon off. If I were to demonstrate the same attitude as some feminists I would also demand monday afternoons off but I would refuse to work an extra hour every day.

Also your point about mines being pointless and it only taking 10 minutes. Was that a joke or were you being serious.

The "joke" was a comment on your sloppy expression. What you mean, I think, is that men have to work down mines. Simply going down a mine isn't work, is it? Sorry I had to spell it out for you.
The problem with your argument is that although men have traditionally been expected to do manual work , there has been no reward for doing it in the form of being able to vote. Any connection is only a figment of your mind.
Probably not.

But WW3 is not going to happen any time soon.

Latest

Trending

Trending