The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Cost

hi

i wanted to ask what was the average everyone paid per month while living away at uni. (excluding tuition fees, what did everyone have to end up paying)

Am i covered with grants/ loans or do i still need a loth of money

pm me if you stayed at bradford or nottingham please

thanks everyone
Reply 1
I'm thinking about going to Nottingham this year. And worked out how much I need to pay, etc. I am going catered which is about £65 a week. Then I am going to pay the rent for student accommodation, every term. So three installments. I worked out I'll roughly have just over £40 to spend a week, excluding bursary money. So I'm definitely thinking about finding a job when I get there asap. What accommodation are you thinking about?

Every month you'll have to end up paying 1/3rd of the accommodation fees. I'm not sure if you pay for catered meals every week, or every term. You should be just about covered with the money they give you. But it is worth definitely budgeting your money and working out how much money you'll have left over each term after everything is payed out.

If you look on the Nottingham website, it shows you how much money you are entitled to.
If your household income is £25,000 or less, you are entitled to £3,387 grant. And if you are living away from home you are entitled to a £5,555 loan. All this money, is given to you over a course of three terms. So you get this money in three installments.
As for bursary's, to be eligible, you must:

Be registered on a first undergraduate degree course (or PGCE/ 1st year GEM) at Nottingham.

Have UK home status for funding purposes.

Be liable for the tuition fee of £9,000 in 2014-15.

Have had a full financial assessment carried out by Student Finance.

Have a household income between £0-£42,600, as assessed by Student Finance.

If your household income is upto £15,000 then you are entitled to a £3000 bursary.

If you need any more information, this is where I got it from:
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/studentservices/financialsupport/bursariesandscholarships/guaranteedbursaries2014.aspx

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/studentservices/financialsupport/studentfunding/fundingundergraduates2014.aspx
(edited 10 years ago)
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by xFaerie

Every month you'll have to end up paying 1/3rd of the accommodation fees. I'm not sure if you pay for catered meals every week, or every term. You should be just about covered with the money they give you. But it is worth definitely budgeting your money and working out how much money you'll have left over each term after everything is payed out.

If you're planning on living in Catered Halls on University Park campus, your meals are paid for at the start of the term in your accommodation payment. This year I'm in a single study and my fees for the year are just the 3 accommodation payments. I technically could get through the entire year having just spent that I suppose!

In my opinion this is the best option for freshers, you're guaranteed 3 meals a day (nope dinner isn't the greatest..but hey it's better than living off Tesco Value pasta and Pot Noodle)
Any money I have after I pay my accommodation at the start of the term is disposable income.

Honestly it just depends on how much you're planning on going out! :smile:

NOTE: One thing I hadn't actually realised until I arrived was that although the payments are split into 3, they're not equal! Term 3 is a shorter term and therefore the payment is less. If you contact the accommodation services though when you arrive you can actually change the distribution and move the dates of payments around if needed! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending