The Student Room Group

Paying for university accomodation

Hi guys,

Could any one give some advise please because I have to submit my UCAS soon and I am struggling to make a decision.
I want to go far for university for example manchester or leicester. I am currently living in Birmingham and I want to move far (personal reasons e.g. family issues).
However, I am worried on how I will cover the living costs.
Is university accomodation paid through maintenance loans or the Uni loans?
Also, the accomodation prices are between 100-150 pounds a week and would I be able to afford this cause maintenance loans is based on household incomes and mine is 13k a year?
Original post by superflykksks
Hi guys,

Could any one give some advise please because I have to submit my UCAS soon and I am struggling to make a decision.
I want to go far for university for example manchester or leicester. I am currently living in Birmingham and I want to move far (personal reasons e.g. family issues).
Also, the accomodation prices are between 100-150 pounds a week and would I be able to afford this cause maintenance loans is based on household incomes and mine is 13k a year?

When you apply for student finance, the tuition fee loan is paid directly to your uni and the maintenance loan is paid to your bank account at the beginning of each term. It's up to you how you spend the maintenance loan, but you will need to pay for your accommodation and living costs out of it. If your household income is less than £25k per year, then you will likely receive the maximum maintenance loan. Your parents will need to supply their income details to SFE for you to get more than the minimum maintenance loan.

Lancaster, Liverpool, Newcastle and other northern unis tend to have lower accommodation costs than southern unis.
Reply 2
Thank you, so should I not worry about it then? My income household is 13k so im likely to get the 9k maintenance loans a year?
Reply 3
Thank you, so should I not worry about it then? My income household is 13k so im likely to get the 9k maintenance loans a year?

Do note there is no rush to submit your UCAS application - you have three months!
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Do note there is no rush to submit your UCAS application - you have three months!

Thank you
Hi guys,

Hey there,

Thank you for your question :smile:

It is absolutely fine to take your time with your UCAS application so that you make informed choices for yourself.

I was also worried about living costs when deciding where I wanted to go. One of the reasons why I chose Lancaster is due to the low cost of living. From personal experience, most things are pretty affordable here which makes student life much easier!

As mentioned above, maintenance loan is based on household incomes and for me it definitely helped with my rent and daily costs. Here is more information on how that works https://www.ucas.com/student-finance-england/living-costs-full-time-students#:~:text=A%20Maintenance%20Loan%20can%20help,is%20over%20the%20repayment%20threshold.

The university also offers plenty of scholarships and financial help -https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/fees-and-funding/scholarships-and-bursaries/.

I also used this tool to calculate living costs before choosing my university, it was really useful! https://www.savethestudent.org/money/student-budgeting/student-budget-calculators.html

Hope this helps. Good luck with applications :smile:

Smriti (Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending