The Student Room Group

Study: Gays are better parents

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clh_hilary
But you don't need to give advantage to one or another. Sexuality may not actually mean anything. There are already other factors being taken into account.

I don't think the issue is sexuality as such (i.e. what your parents are doing in their bedrooms).

The issue is whether or not it is beneficial to a child to have one parent of each gender. There are many possible configurations you could have (e.g. single male parent, single female parent, a straight couple, a gay couple, two opposite sex parents not in a relationship, two same sex parents not in a relationship, three parents, four parents etc.) and it would be a big assumption to think that they all work equally well. Maybe the genders of your parents makes no difference - but then again maybe it does. For adoption purposes it would be useful to know whether or not this is the case, and to what extent. All I'm saying is that such a study doesn't provide this information.

And no, the bigoted are very against same-sex adoption ever if it means the children may have to die or whatever. They don't actually care about a human being after his/her birth.

I've never heard anyone suggest that it would be better for a child to die than be adopted by two members of the same sex. But if they do exist, then I wonder if such people also think it would be better for a child to die than to be adopted by a same-sex, but not homosexual duo of parents - e.g. a straight man and another straight man, who are not in a relationship, adopting a child. If they are happy with that combination, then it seems their issue is not with the gender of the parents, but with the fact that their parents are homosexual.

In such cases, it wouldn't make a difference to them whether a set of homosexual parents are "good parents" or not according to a study like the one you've posted. Even if the parents are fantastic according to all key indicators, I'm thinking they'd still fear that the child might learn approval of homosexuality at their hands and end up in Hell for it, or something like that (and so it is better to die). Your study doesn't do anything to quell that kind of fear either.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by The Socktor
Not exactly, for instance a lesbian couple might have a child because one of them is raped.

But that's a way less likely scenario in the western world.
Not exactly, for instance a lesbian couple might have a child because one of them is raped.

I'm not sure that in the western world that happens often enough to be relevant and/or feasible to be included in these studies.
Reply 23
Original post by tazarooni89
I don't think the issue is sexuality as such (i.e. what your parents are doing in their bedrooms).

The issue is whether or not it is beneficial to a child to have one parent of each gender. There are many possible configurations you could have (e.g. single male parent, single female parent, a straight couple, a gay couple, two opposite sex parents not in a relationship, two same sex parents not in a relationship, three parents, four parents etc.) and it would be a big assumption to think that they all work equally well. Maybe the genders of your parents makes no difference - but then again maybe it does. For adoption purposes it would be useful to know whether or not this is the case, and to what extent. All I'm saying is that such a study doesn't provide this information.

But at the same time you can never generalise. Not all men are going to behave the same; not all women are going to behave the same. With sexuality being thrown in the mix, one member of the couple may behave more like the other gender and thus offset this. There will need to be a very detailed study to even try to begin the conversation on this.

I've never heard anyone suggest that it would be better for a child to die than be adopted by two members of the same sex. But if they do exist, then I wonder if such people also think it would be better for a child to die than to be adopted by a same-sex, but not homosexual duo of parents - e.g. a straight man and another straight man, who are not in a relationship, adopting a child. If they are happy with that combination, then it seems their issue is not with the gender of the parents, but with the fact that their parents are homosexual.

They don't say that out loud obviously, but when you ban gay adoptions when there are children who are unadopted, what are you actually trying to do? To force straight people to adopt? Also, some tend to argue that gay adoptions would be worse than no adoptions:

Rekers explains that homosexual adults suffer from significantly higher rates of psychological disorders such as suicide, conduct disorder and substance abuse. Living with a parent who suffers from a mental disorder or has problems with drug or alcohol abuse will only trigger further stresses and problems for adopted children, he contends.

In such cases, I'm guessing it wouldn't make a difference to them whether a set of homosexual parents are "good parents" or not according to a study like the one you've posted. Even if they're great parents according to all key indicators, I'm thinking they'd still fear that the child might learn approval of homosexuality at their hands and end up in Hell for it, or something like that.

I very much doubt most people really think of that. They just don't like the idea of people who disagree with their views existing, let alone having equal rights.
Reply 24
True, but still, it can happen, to the contrary of a lot of people above saying that all gay couples want their children.

But these lesbians could opt for an abortion if they feel they are unprepared for that. It cannot be a significant enough number to be taken into account.
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
I'm not sure that in the western world that happens often enough to be relevant and/or feasible to be included in these studies.

I agree with this, but I do think we need to take into account lesbians who go and get artificially inseminated, gay men who artificially inseminate women to carry children for them and even the potential for them to just have sex because they really want a child.
Not that these things have too much of a bearing on the results of the study, but they do show that they don't always have to pass strict screening processes.
They don't say that out loud obviously, but when you ban gay adoptions when there are children who are unadopted, what are you actually trying to do? To force straight people to adopt? Also, some tend to argue that gay adoptions would be worse than no adoptions:

I don't see that the link you posted is a campaign to actually ban same-sex adoption. It just seems to be saying that it is in a child's interest to be adopted by a straight couple rather than a same-sex one. I don't see any indication of what the author suggests should be done when straight couples are no longer available to adopt.

I very much doubt most people really think of that. They just don't like the idea of people who disagree with their views existing, let alone having equal rights.

You don't think religious views about homosexuality and its sinfulness come into it? I'm under the impression that this is one of the major reasons why many people disapprove of it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by alow
I wouldn't say it's too surprising. Gay people can't have children accidentally after all, so they're guaranteed to actually want them.

QED
Reply 28
I don't see that the link you posted is a campaign to actually ban same-sex adoption. It just seems to be saying that it is in a child's interest to be adopted by a straight couple rather than a same-sex one.

But it is.

You don't think religious views about homosexuality and its sinfulness come into it? I'm under the impression that this is one of the major reasons why many people disapprove of it.

It is, but I don't believe most religious people are really thinking of the 'welfare' of others so much that they feel they must restrict their rights.
It is, but I don't believe most religious people are really thinking of the 'welfare' of others so much that they feel they must restrict their rights.

If you're right, and they just want to restrict the rights of gay people just because they don't like them, I still don't see how such a study helps with that. It's not going to make them like gay people more, nor does it provide any counter evidence to their supposed cover stories (just trying to save kids from Hell, it is more conducive to parenting of the two parents are not the same sex).

It would be useful to cite if someone said "same-sex couples are so bad at parenting that it would be better for a child to be homeless than live life like that", and not just due to religion either - but I've never seen an example of that.
Reply 30
If you're right, and they just want to restrict the rights of gay people just because they don't like them, I still don't see how such a study helps with that. It's not going to make them like gay people more, nor does it provide any counter evidence to their supposed cover stories (just trying to save kids from Hell, it is more conducive to parenting of the two parents are not the same sex).

It would be useful to cite if someone said "same-sex couples are so bad at parenting that it would be better for a child to be homeless than live life like that", and not just due to religion either - but I've never seen an example of that.

It's difficult to find a non-religious person who's homophobic.
I wonder about the stat. . istics between homophobic and liberal parents? :confused:

Homophobes should be careful what they say to their kids.
If their teenage daughters are anything like mine, homophobes are in for a surprise. Whatever I say they dig their heels in and do the opposite.
Reply 32
Original post by caravaggio2
Homophobes should be careful what they say to their kids.
If their teenage daughters are anything like mine, homophobes are in for a surprise. Whatever I say they dig their heels in and do the opposite.

They deserve it.
It's difficult to find a non-religious person who's homophobic.

So then what exactly is the value of the study? To whom are you trying to make your point?
Reply 34
So then what exactly is the value of the study? To whom are you trying to make your point?

The undecided, the people who have no specific view at the moment.
Reply 35

Very uncommon and probably statistically insignificant.

Also, way to go dark bro.
The undecided, the people who have no specific view at the moment.

Ok, fair enough. I don't personally see that the study provides any extra valid information to make up their minds with, but you never know who you might convince.
Reply 37
Original post by alow
I wouldn't say it's too surprising. Gay people can't have children accidentally after all, so they're guaranteed to actually want them.

Even Straight People who dont want kids, are still perfectly capable of looking after kids from unexpected pregnancies.
Children are more important than Political Correctness for others
Reply 38
Original post by James222
Even Straight People who dont want kids, are still perfectly capable of looking after kids from unexpected pregnancies.
Children are more important than Political Correctness for others

They are capable, but not always willing.
Reply 39
Original post by alow
They are capable, but not always willing.

unless someone gets post natal depression(which can happen even with planned pregnancies), after the initial fear they view every child as a blessing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending