The Student Room Group

I read that some people on here don't like flamboyant gay culture?

I find it really enriching actually. I'm not gay but I think gay culture is absolutely amazing and has made our society such a better place.

Each to their own but I think gays and their culture are amazing.

Scroll to see replies

Its all fun and games until they start insulting you and finger snapping on the street because apparently you looked at them funny.

True story, it happened to my friend on Edgeware Road lol.
I'm bisexual and I'm not keen on some culture that is seen a stereotypically 'gay', personally. I don't mind the fact that some people are into it though, if that's their thing.
Reply 3
I've been to a gay bar before with a group of straight friends and it was actually a real laugh. The flamboyant gay culture was jovial, welcoming, funny, poked fun at itself and didn't ever make anybody feel uncomfortable.

I'd go as far as saying I had a better experience in that club then the majority of ****ty student bars in my city.
flamboyant gays are the best! Pride parades are the best festivals gurenteed sick time
Sorry, that's just my opinion. The likes of Louie Spence annoy me, but then i get irritated easily by loud, attention seeking people (not all are like this).

I'm guessing this thread is aimed at people like me seeing as i used those exact words.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Insane warrior
I find it really enriching actually. I'm not gay but I think gay culture is absolutely amazing and has made our society such a better place.

Each to their own but I think gays and their culture are amazing.

I could live without it. People assume I'm gay because my hands are very animated when I talk. It's pretty annoying.
Reply 7
Original post by ehiamour
Its all fun and games until they start insulting you and finger snapping on the street because apparently you looked at them funny.

True story, it happened to my friend on Edgeware Road lol.

Oh. I just know peaceful, nice gays. Lol
Reply 8
I'm gay (cue Senòr Chang) and I can honestly say I don't like the flamboyant aspect of our culture. I believe it's counterproductive in a struggle for equal rights (and bloody annoying)!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I've got nothing against being flamboyant (but loud does p**s me off), or against being gay. But I dislike the association between the two, because I think it promotes this idea that homosexuals are somehow different in more ways than just their sexual preferences; I know a number of LGBT people who feel the same way.
I think the whole camp culture is completely revolting.
Reply 11
Original post by Joel R
I've got nothing against being flamboyant (but loud does p**s me off), or against being gay. But I dislike the association between the two, because I think it promotes this idea that homosexuals are somehow different in more ways than just their sexual preferences; I know a number of LGBT people who feel the same way.

This. Exactly this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's the people that seem to base their flamboyant personality on the fact they are gay, or even describe their personality as gay, and then call you a homophobe if you don't like them that annoy me. It's like the people who describe their personality as "black"
Tbh, I don't know what it is, but I find gay guys that act sorta straight really creepy. The flamboyant ones though are generally a lot of fun to be around.
It annoys me how hypocritical people are about this.

Loads of boys are very willing to use gay rights as a stick with which to beat religion (figuratively speaking), yet these same people say that they don't like "campness" or people who are overtly gay
Reply 15
Original post by WoodyMKC
Tbh, I don't know what it is, but I find gay guys that act sorta straight really creepy. The flamboyant ones though are generally a lot of fun to be around.

So by transitive property I'm creepy and boring...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just think it's too much sometimes, and like others have said I feel bad for those who get stereotyped as gay because they act similarly or vice versa.
I LOVE flamboyant gay guys. My French teacher is just this. He wears nail polish to school, has highlights and has decorated his classroom with flowers and plants. He is great. I love how they truly do not give a **** - he got told off by or head teacher for it and threatened to take her to court over it.
The ratio of flamboyant gays to normal, "masculine" gays is about the same as the ratio of fundamentalist Muslims to "moderate" Muslims - i.e. the former is small.
Reply 19
I hate to say this but I actually find flamboyant gay men really threatening. They are like the ultra bitchy girs from school who are always looking down your noses at you and judging you. Or at least that is how the ones I have met have made me feel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending