The Student Room Group

Writing chemical equations / structures / mechanisms in a Word document

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can give me any tips on putting equations , mechanisms, etc. into essays. My tutors all recommend using Accelerys draw and copying the structure over but that's just way too complex for what I'm trying to do. I'm talking about a really simple square diagram, the kind you would see in a school worksheet or something. Like propanol for example, no need for the angles to be accurate, just straight across, with hydrogens going up and down from the carbons. (This isn't actually what I'm doing in my assignment but it's the simplest way I can think of to describe how I want to lay it out). I've tried just using the drawing tools on Microsoft Word but even that is a pain in the backside because you can't get anything to line up. I figure there must be a way to do it reasonably easily because it's the way it is on school and college worksheets and exams, and in most text books.
If anyone has any tips for me I would really appreciate it. I can do my assignments just fine, but lose marks for handwriting mechanisms (especially curly arrows!!) and diagrams. Thanks
It's normal to use the type of dedicated software your tutors mention for these purposes. The simple freeware versions are easy to use, without the bells and whistles :dontknow:
Reply 2
I know, and it's great for some diagrams, but for this it's just way too technical. Was wondering if there was anything really simple anyone could recommend
Original post by sm3llyc4t
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can give me any tips on putting equations , mechanisms, etc. into essays. My tutors all recommend using Accelerys draw and copying the structure over but that's just way too complex for what I'm trying to do. I'm talking about a really simple square diagram, the kind you would see in a school worksheet or something. Like propanol for example, no need for the angles to be accurate, just straight across, with hydrogens going up and down from the carbons. (This isn't actually what I'm doing in my assignment but it's the simplest way I can think of to describe how I want to lay it out). I've tried just using the drawing tools on Microsoft Word but even that is a pain in the backside because you can't get anything to line up. I figure there must be a way to do it reasonably easily because it's the way it is on school and college worksheets and exams, and in most text books.
If anyone has any tips for me I would really appreciate it. I can do my assignments just fine, but lose marks for handwriting mechanisms (especially curly arrows!!) and diagrams. Thanks

If you turn off the grid then the drawing tools on word are very easy to use ...
Reply 4
Check ACDLABS ChemSketch (free).

Quick Reply

Latest