The Student Room Group

A little mental health advice?

Before I begin my plethora of question, a little background.
So I've been suffering with mental health problems on and off for about 7 or so years, I'm now 21. I've returned to college to do an access course in psychology/biology and I've been given two conditional offers for university, as long as I get my grades (which so far I'm on track to do so) it looks like next September I will be pursuing a degree in psychology at university.
The problem is that I've started to struggle more and more with my anxiety and depression again, the same problems that caused me to drop out from college in the first place.
I'm toying with the idea of going to the doctors and trying anti-depressants/anxiety medication again, but I'm uncertain whether it will be worth it.
Any advice or suggestions?
For those with similar problems, how did you adapt to university life and moving away?
I've also got my subject specific open day next Saturday at university, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the thought of this. Any advice for the open day?
Feel free to share your own personal experience.

Reply 1
Definitely go and speak to your doctor, even if they dont offer you anything medication wise, they might point you to somewhere that can help or refer you on to somewhere else.
Universities usually have student counselling services and mh type support available, some of them also have mh student groups-id definitely look into that at the open days.
For going to the open day, have you ever tried self talk? Like talking yourself through things? Can you take a friend? Family?
I think many people are anxious when they go to things like this, personally I skirt the room avoiding people at first, take in the situation and try to fathom out which "thing" would be the easiest to try first/who looks least scary/most approachable. I also always have a drink with me as its something to concentrate on when I feel like my anxiety is getting ott, I take a sip-it acts like a mini breather type thing for me.
Reply 2
Original post by Nell90
Definitely go and speak to your doctor, even if they dont offer you anything medication wise, they might point you to somewhere that can help or refer you on to somewhere else.
Universities usually have student counselling services and mh type support available, some of them also have mh student groups-id definitely look into that at the open days.
For going to the open day, have you ever tried self talk? Like talking yourself through things? Can you take a friend? Family?
I think many people are anxious when they go to things like this, personally I skirt the room avoiding people at first, take in the situation and try to fathom out which "thing" would be the easiest to try first/who looks least scary/most approachable. I also always have a drink with me as its something to concentrate on when I feel like my anxiety is getting ott, I take a sip-it acts like a mini breather type thing for me.

I've had cognitive behavioural therapy before, so I know how to calm myself down (in a sense) but sometimes it's too powerful to overcome, I just have to go along with it. I never thought of the MH student groups, that could be a good starting point!
Reply 3
Hi. Mental health issues in my opinion come around at some point in everyones lives. If you suffer from mental health issues, it would be wise to check with your GP about what he can offer you be it medication, or therapy. If you want my personal opinion, both work. In Synergy usually.
You need both if you plan to tackle depression, it takes effort everyday.
sure you can do it without medication, it's great if you can, but sometimes, people get an extra boost while using prescribed medication. Meds do not always work, and can cause problems, but if your seriously suffering from depression you don't have anything to loose so go to see your doctor, at least you can say you tried! :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest