The Student Room Group

C3 Integration question

I cannot integrate this piece of maths in the question. Also why are both limits 5, will this not make the area 0?

Very confused here.

Help ASAP.

20140330_184048[1].jpg
Reply 1
Original post by Gondur
I cannot integrate this piece of maths in the question. Also why are both limits 5, will this not make the area 0?

Very confused here.

Help ASAP.

20140330_184048[1].jpg

If you're going to make a substitution, you need to make one that preserves sign, or else you need to note that the integrand is even and split up the range into [-1/2, 0] and [0, 1/2]. However, the better way to do it is to use an arctan substitution.
Original post by Gondur

Very confused here.

Help ASAP.

20140330_184048[1].jpg

First things first, you can't take 1/8x outside of the integral, as it is a variable and needs to be integrated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Gondur

Very confused here.

Help ASAP.

20140330_184048[1].jpg

Also, you seem to have misunderstood du=dudxdxdu = \dfrac{du}{dx}dx. You've pulled the dudx\dfrac{du}{dx} expression out of the integral, which you can't do because it's not constant. That would be like saying x2dx=xxdx\int x^2 dx = x \int x dx.
Reply 4
Original post by Smaug123
If you're going to make a substitution, you need to make one that preserves sign, or else you need to note that the integrand is even and split up the range into [-1/2, 0] and [0, 1/2]. However, the better way to do it is to use an arctan substitution.

What is an arctan substitution?
Reply 5
Original post by Gondur

Very confused here.

Help ASAP.

20140330_184048[1].jpg

If I were you, I'd substute u=2x and then use any of the methods from this thread.
Reply 6
Original post by Smaug123
If I were you, I'd substute u=2x and then use any of the methods from this thread.

Haven't heard of any of those methods in that thread. I only know of integration by substitution and integration by inspection and these are the methods I tried with this question. It doesn't work if you let u=1+4x^2. Why are you suggesting to use u=2x? What is the logic behind this choice.
Reply 7
Original post by Gondur
Haven't heard of any of those methods in that thread. I only know of integration by substitution and integration by inspection and these are the methods I tried with this question. It doesn't work if you let u=1+4x^2. Why are you suggesting to use u=2x? What is the logic behind this choice.

It turns it into 1 / (1 + u^2) which is d arctanu / du
Original post by Principia
It turns it into 1 / (1 + u^2) which is d arctanu / du

You're trying to make this a lot more complex than C3 :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Gondur

Because I know my standard integrals - among them, the fact that 11+x2dx=tan1(x)\int \dfrac{1}{1+x^2} dx = \tan^{-1}(x). That can itself be solved by substitution, as several of the methods listed in that thread state.
Reply 10
Original post by Gondur

Very confused here.

Help ASAP.

20140330_184048[1].jpg

Ah I've done these type of Q's before!
What you've done is fine, BUT you can't take the 1/8x out.
So put it back in, and you know u=1+4x^2 so what would x be? Make x the subject of the formula and sub it in for 1/8x
Original post by Gondur

121211+4x2 dx=121211+(2x)2 dx=2x=tanθπ4π412sec2θ1+tan2θ dθ= ...\displaystyle \begin{aligned} \int_{-\frac{1}{2}}^{\frac{1}{2}} \dfrac{1}{1+4x^2} \ \mathrm{d}x & = \int_{-\frac{1}{2}}^{\frac{1}{2}} \dfrac{1}{1+(2x)^2} \ \mathrm{d}x \\ & \overset{2x=\tan \theta}= \int_{-\frac{\pi}{4}}^{\frac{\pi}{4}} \dfrac{\frac{1}{2} \sec^2 \theta}{1+\tan^2 \theta} \ \mathrm{d}\theta \\ & = \ ... \end{aligned}
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Gondur

Very confused here.

Help ASAP.

20140330_184048[1].jpg

If this is a C3 question, I'd be very surprised if you're expected to use a substitution anyway!

Take out a factor 1/4 so that the integrand looks like 1x2+(1/4)\dfrac{1}{x^2 + (1/4)} then look in your formula book for the result that tells you how to integrate 1x2+a2\dfrac{1}{x^2 + a^2} :smile:
Original post by davros
If this is a C3 question, I'd be very surprised if you're expected to use a substitution anyway!

Take out a factor 1/4 so that the integrand looks like 1x2+(1/4)\dfrac{1}{x^2 + (1/4)} then look in your formula book for the result that tells you how to integrate 1x2+a2\dfrac{1}{x^2 + a^2} :smile:

Just thought I'd say that my formula book tells you how to integrate it from the question, so unless it's a 'show that' question, you can just quote it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What exam board are you on?

My C3 exam doesn't include those types of integration, you need to use your formulae book :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Dusky Mauve
You're trying to make this a lot more complex than C3 :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is core 3 though ...
Original post by Principia
That is core 3 though ...

Well I've never seen arctan before and I'm sure I don't need it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17

In that case, substitute 2x=tan(θ)2x=\tan(\theta) in the original.
Reply 18

Posted from TSR Mobile

arctan is the same as tan1tan^{-1} - you must have seen one of these?

To be honest, the modular system is all screwed up here - using a tan substitution helps to understand how the integral works, but it seems to be expected that students will look up an integral like this in formula tables before understanding how the answer could be obtained!

Quick Reply

Latest