The Student Room Group

Conservative forces - University physics help!

Can someone explain to me how to determine if a force is conservative ?
All of these forces act along the x axis only
fx=-kx+bx^2
fx=-Ae^(-bx)
fx=cx^3
I just want an explanation - you don't have to do them all - i am totally clueless :frown:
Thank you
Reply 1
you can check that the line interval is zero along any closed path
see if you can find a potential function whose -gradient is the same as the force function, intergration
Reply 2
Original post by uwins
you can check that the line interval is zero along any closed path
see if you can find a potential function whose -gradient is the same as the force function, intergration

can you please elaborate a bit? If it is ok with you to just get me started with one of them i will be very thankful :smile:
Recall the definition for a force to be conservative:

A force F\textbf{F} on a particle is conservative iff it satisfies two conditions:
(i) F\textbf{F} depends only on the particle's position r\textbf{r} ; that is, F=F(r)\textbf{F} = \textbf{F}(\textbf{r})
(ii) For any two points 1 and 2, the work done by F\textbf{F} is the same for all paths between 1 and 2.

Now the first condition is easy to check, whilst the second is much harder. Fortunately there exist a nice theorem that says:

A force F\textbf{F} has the desired property, that the work it does is independent of path, iff ×F=0\nabla \times \textbf{F} = 0 everywhere.

So it suffices to show that the curl of your forces(vector fields) is zero.

Hope this helps.

Original post by x0x
Can someone explain to me how to determine if a force is conservative ?
All of these forces act along the x axis only
fx=-kx+bx^2
fx=-Ae^(-bx)
fx=cx^3
I just want an explanation - you don't have to do them all - i am totally clueless :frown:
Thank you
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest