The Student Room Group

why would someone not accept Evolution as a fact ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheLionHearted
Lol 'cos someone doesn't agree with you, you feel the need to insult him/her?

I personally don't believe in human evolution because of the missing links in evidence. Surely if we descended from a certain primate, their would be remains of that animal, and every animal linking us to them? Can anyone tell me why the evidence is missing as I'm curious?

Also, how could I believe in evolution totally when it doesn't explain the origin of life.

If you went to a library and they had editions 1,2,3 and 5 of a book, would you conclude that edition 5 was unrelated to the first 3?
Reply 61
Lol 'cos someone doesn't agree with you, you feel the need to insult him/her?

I personally don't believe in human evolution because of the missing links in evidence. Surely if we descended from a certain primate, their would be remains of that animal, and every animal linking us to them? Can anyone tell me why the evidence is missing as I'm curious?

Also, how could I believe in evolution totally when it doesn't explain the origin of life.

Many animals don't form fosils (fossils rarely form, they need specific conditions and luck to occur). But in the case of humans, we actually do have a good record of who we decended from.
Original post by science over you
Why does evolution need to explain the origin of life? Isn't abiogenesis a valid explanation even though a hypothesis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Abiogenesis is something i cannot believe in. I mean, how can a cell learn to reproduce?

Original post by DaveSmith99
What missing links?

Evolution doesn't even attempt to explain the origin of life, so why would this make a difference?

If I did believe in evolution, yet was atheist and disagreed with abiogenesis, there is a fundemental error of the origins of life. Yet if I believe in a certain religion that explains everything, then i would be more inclined to believe in that religion.

Original post by PythianLegume
If you went to a library and they had editions 1,2,3 and 5 of a book, would you conclude that edition 5 was unrelated to the first 3?

Nope, but why do all four have to be related in a way? What if a man made books where each edition talked about a different subject or topic?
Original post by james22
It is as proven as anything outside of mathematics can be. It is not a hypothesis. People don't accept God as fact because tehre is no evidence, the same cannot be said for evolution.

"God" has religious connotations with it. How about a supreme creator of organisms? How is there not any analytical evidence for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope, but why do all four have to be related in a way? What if a man made books where each edition talked about a different subject or topic?

You do know what an edition is right? An edition is a new release of the same book, updated to include newer material.

My point was that a clear trend doesn't require data points all along it. Science uses this all the time, for example when drawing a graph from a few points. There is no need to check every value in the range, only a few.

If I did believe in evolution, yet was atheist and disagreed with abiogenesis, there is a fundemental error of the origins of life. Yet if I believe in a certain religion that explains everything, then i would be more inclined to believe in that religion.

There is no error, just something that science hasn't worked out yet. We didn't use to understand comets or lightening, we thought they were curses from the Gods. Just because we didn't have the knowledge to explain them back then doesn't mean that they had to have supernatural causes, and we know know that they don't. Just because a religion offers an explanation for something science can't doesn't make the religion true.
"God" has religious connotations with it. How about a supreme creator of organisms? How is there not any analytical evidence for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is there analytical evidence for it? You can't expect someone to confirm the non-existence of data.
You do know what an edition is right? An edition is a new release of the same book, updated to include newer material.

My point was that a clear trend doesn't require data points all along it. Science uses this all the time, for example when drawing a graph from a few points. There is no need to check every value in the range, only a few.

Seems like I didn't.:colondollar: I thought you were talking about volumes instead of editions. You make a good point.
So, if we, and the apes around today, all descended from a common ancestor, what was it? Also, is there a chain of evolutions for other modern primates with a substantial amount of evidence?
Original post by DaveSmith99
There is no error, just something that science hasn't worked out yet. We didn't use to understand comets or lightening, we thought they were curses from the Gods. Just because we didn't have the knowledge to explain them back then doesn't mean that they had to have supernatural causes, and we know know that they don't. Just because a religion offers an explanation for something science can't doesn't make the religion true.

I see. So until then, do I not have the right to question it then? What if science can never prove it? The fact that science hasn't explained it yet, doesn't mean it ever will, or won't.
Reply 69
if evolution is true then why are there so many ugly people ?
Seems like I didn't.:colondollar: I thought you were talking about volumes instead of editions. You make a good point.
So, if we, and the apes around today, all descended from a common ancestor, what was it? Also, is there a chain of evolutions for other modern primates with a substantial amount of evidence?

I suggest you look at the list of human evolution fossils someone linked a few posts back.

I'm not an evolutionary biologist, so I can't answer these questions for you, but I assure you there are answers out there if you look. I simply accept most of science on the trust that there isn't a huge conspiracy perpetrated by everyone who has ever studied it in depth (millions of people).
I see. So until then, do I not have the right to question it then? What if science can never prove it? The fact that science hasn't explained it yet, doesn't mean it ever will, or won't.

He wasn't saying that you don't have the right to question science. He was merely pointing out that the failure of science to provide an explanation (not that there is such a thing in this case) doesn't mean that other explanations are true.
Reply 72
I'm really into Ancient Astronaut theory, myself.
Is there analytical evidence for it? You can't expect someone to confirm the non-existence of data.

Let's take abiogenesis for example? Do you believe in this hypothesis and under what logical reasoning, do you believe in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Let's take abiogenesis for example? Do you believe in this hypothesis and under what logical reasoning, do you believe in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't talking about abiogenesis. You said 'how is there not any analytical evidence for this?' referring to a supreme creator. I asked what evidence you had.

I believe in abiogenesis simply because I believe that there are natural causes of all phenomenon in the world, because there has never been any respectable evidence of supernatural influences on anything, ever. I don't know of any specific mechanisms for abiogenesis because I'm not an expert in the field. However, there's plenty of evidence for it out there - just a quick google search can prove that.
I suggest you look at the list of human evolution fossils someone linked a few posts back.

I'm not an evolutionary biologist, so I can't answer these questions for you, but I assure you there are answers out there if you look. I simply accept most of science on the trust that there isn't a huge conspiracy perpetrated by everyone who has ever studied it in depth (millions of people).

That argument holds no weight. Are you implying you trust the scientific methodology because you are obliged to think that science is not a worldwide conspiracy? Or because x number of people have studied it "in depth". Then look no further, spontaneous generation a widely regarded "theory" in the scientific community was refuted with a simple experiment even though millions have testified to its accuracy etc. Your reasoning is really flawed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have the right to question everything, science is built on questioning everything and accepting nothing on faith. Abiogenesis and evolution are completely separate processes the validity of one is not dependent on the validity of the other, and evolution has already been proven far, far beyond any degree of reasonable doubt. This constant questioning is the reason why science is the only reliable method there is for answering these questions, science is about acknowledging that you don't have the answers then doing everything humanly possible to find them.
He wasn't saying that you don't have the right to question science. He was merely pointing out that the failure of science to provide an explanation (not that there is such a thing in this case) doesn't mean that other explanations are true.

There is such a thing though, because abiogenesis is just a way for atheists to explain the beginning of life, despite being weak. However, I have only come to the conclusion of abiogenesis being weak with a quick read-up on the subject. I'll look into it extensively but I do not doubt that I will come to the same conclusion.
I wasn't talking about abiogenesis. You said 'how is there not any analytical evidence for this?' referring to a supreme creator. I asked what evidence you had.

I believe in abiogenesis simply because I believe that there are natural causes of all phenomenon in the world, because there has never been any respectable evidence of supernatural influences on anything, ever. I don't know of any specific mechanisms for abiogenesis because I'm not an expert in the field. However, there's plenty of evidence for it out there - just a quick google search can prove that.

Yeah but isn't that parallel to the great cop-out "Faith". "Im not an expert" yet I believe what I'm told by x number of scientists. So can you demean religious authorities on the basis that they believe their holy scriptures because x people told them.

I'll write a long response in a few day's for you. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That argument holds no weight. Are you implying you trust the scientific methodology because you are obliged to think that science is not a worldwide conspiracy? Or because x number of people have studied it "in depth". Then look no further, spontaneous generation a widely regarded "theory" in the scientific community was refuted with a simple experiment even though millions have testified to its accuracy etc. Your reasoning is really flawed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spontaneous generation is a theory from ancient history. And the fact that science over-rules it's previously mistaken beliefs is one of the strengths of science - it becomes more and more accurate.

I don't trust the scientific methodology because of trust. The scientific methodology is logically rigorous, and I understand why science as a process works. What I said was that I trust the outcomes of science on the basis that there isn't a worldwide conspiracy. I don't have time to check up on the history of the science of microwaves and electronics before I put my bakes beans in the microwave oven. I trust that the millions of people who have studied these fields have not all decided to cover up the truth. No-one can reasonably study all of science; they don't have the time.

If you truly believe my reasoning is flawed, I suggest not stepping foot in a hospital, using any electronic device or motor vehicle, etc. until you understand and have thoroughly studied all the associated field of science personally. Otherwise, like every other human being, you're just going to have to trust that other people aren't evil scheming bastards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending