The Student Room Group

New job anxiety.

So basically, I'm about to start my new job as a care assistant in a retirement home.
I didn't originally apply for the job as a care assistant, because I wanted a less stressful job but because they liked my CV and my personality I unwittingly landed a job as a care assistant which I accepted. At first I was excited, but in the time it took for my CRB and my references to get back I started to struggle a little bit more with my anxiety and depression-something I didn't disclose to my new manager (because I've been stigmatised before for my MH problems). I start this Wednesday at 8 in the morning and after receiving the call just now telling me to come in this wednesday I'm a little bit anxious.

Any tips and/or advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So basically, I'm about to start my new job as a care assistant in a retirement home.
I didn't originally apply for the job as a care assistant, because I wanted a less stressful job but because they liked my CV and my personality I unwittingly landed a job as a care assistant which I accepted. At first I was excited, but in the time it took for my CRB and my references to get back I started to struggle a little bit more with my anxiety and depression-something I didn't disclose to my new manager (because I've been stigmatised before for my MH problems). I start this Wednesday at 8 in the morning and after receiving the call just now telling me to come in this wednesday I'm a little bit anxious.

Any tips and/or advice?

Hi :smile:

Firstly well done on landing the job - you should be proud of yourself.

Have you told anyone - friends or family - how you are feeling about this? Everyone feels nervous for a new job, but if it's affecting your mental health then you might want to speak to someone you trust, so that they can give you support. That means your employers don't need to be told about anything. Or if you have a counsellor or doctor that you could talk to, then it might help you to tell them about it.

And don't worry yourself too much - you might find that you really enjoy yourself. Just take a week or so to find your feet in this new job, and then see how it goes.

Good luck!
You've done really well!
I am exactly the same!!!!
Well done on your job!
Firstly I would go speak to your manager on Wednesday explain the situation or even better call before hand and explain.
There human beings and I highly doubt it will be the first time a member of staff has suffered with one of these conditions.
Anyone work place can't discrimnate over your mental health so just explain and its then their responsibility to make you feel at ease because if you aren't happy then you won't be doing your job to the best of your ability so it's important you are happy :smile:
Secondly when starting just take it day by day, you are brand new you are bound to make a few errors whilst your learning! if you know this before you start it will help.
You've done an amazing job in sealing the job, they obviously really liked you! Just remember that okay :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
Hi :smile:

Firstly well done on landing the job - you should be proud of yourself.

Have you told anyone - friends or family - how you are feeling about this? Everyone feels nervous for a new job, but if it's affecting your mental health then you might want to speak to someone you trust, so that they can give you support. That means your employers don't need to be told about anything. Or if you have a counsellor or doctor that you could talk to, then it might help you to tell them about it.

And don't worry yourself too much - you might find that you really enjoy yourself. Just take a week or so to find your feet in this new job, and then see how it goes.

Good luck!

I've started my job now, my first week went great-it was tough, but it went really well. You words really helped ease my anxiety (sometimes I just need reassurance). But too answer your question, my partner has been invaluable she's been really supportive and understanding.
Reply 4
Original post by sherlock_lover_1
You've done really well!
I am exactly the same!!!!
Well done on your job!
Firstly I would go speak to your manager on Wednesday explain the situation or even better call before hand and explain.
There human beings and I highly doubt it will be the first time a member of staff has suffered with one of these conditions.
Anyone work place can't discrimnate over your mental health so just explain and its then their responsibility to make you feel at ease because if you aren't happy then you won't be doing your job to the best of your ability so it's important you are happy :smile:
Secondly when starting just take it day by day, you are brand new you are bound to make a few errors whilst your learning! if you know this before you start it will help.
You've done an amazing job in sealing the job, they obviously really liked you! Just remember that okay :smile:

Thank you!
I'm a little cautious of one of the managers, she seemed nice at first, but I get this feeling she isn't as she seems-she has a strange demeanour about her. Their is another manager who I think is more caring and considerate, I may approach her later on, but for now I wish to keep my own mental health problem anonymous. If I get worse then I will approach the second manager and explain my situation. For the moment though, it seems to have gone well-I got a little anxious at points but I got through my lonnnnnnnnngggg shifts surprisingly well :smile:
Reply 5
Well done on a good first week OP. :biggrin: Hope it continues.

Quick Reply

Latest