The Student Room Group

stuck on this circle coordinate geometry question

need some help on Q7 please.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sunnytunny92

Solve for y = 0 to get a quadratic and then use implicit diff to find the gradients. From then, since you have a gradient and point, you can work out the equation of the line.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by majmuh24
Solve for y = 0 to get a quadratic and then use implicit diff to find the gradients. From then, since you have a gradient and point, you can work out the equation of the line.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks mate
Reply 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

hello, just wanted to check I was on the right lines.
When I set y=0 and solved the quadratic equation, I got two value for x which were x=5 or x=1. So I presume the points of intersection with the x-axis are (5,0) and (1,0).
After I differentiate the equation I get 2x+2y-2 so do i then put x=5,y=0 and x=1,y=0 into that equation to get the gradient. If thats the case, I got gradient of 8 and 0. Not sure it its right though to have two different gradient with one being a straight line.
hello, just wanted to check I was on the right lines.
When I set y=0 and solved the quadratic equation, I got two value for x which were x=5 or x=1. So I presume the points of intersection with the x-axis are (5,0) and (1,0).
After I differentiate the equation I get 2x+2y-2 so do i then put x=5,y=0 and x=1,y=0 into that equation to get the gradient. If thats the case, I got gradient of 8 and 0. Not sure it its right though to have two different gradient with one being a straight line.

Your implicit differentiation is wrong.

ddxy=dydx\dfrac{d}{dx} y = \dfrac{dy}{dx}

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5

Posted from TSR Mob

yh my answers are wrong
Reply 6
[QUOTE="sunnytunny92;47170882"]

Posted from TSR Mob

yh my answers are wrong

ok i guess my mistake was with differentiating y^2 in terms of x
Reply 7
What is the answer?

I got the tangents are y = x-5 and y= -x + 1

I will happily explain if they're right! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Le.Bambi
What is the answer?

I got the tangents are y = x-5 and y= -x + 1

I will happily explain if they're right! :smile:

I'm a bit stuck on this question.
Do I have to set y=0 and find out where it cross the x axis? Then what? :redface:
Reply 9
Yeah then find where x is by plugging in y to get the two co-ordinates of where your tangent starts then find the gradient of them from the middle of the circle. :smile:

Not sure my answers are right though!

What is the answer please!! :frown:
Reply 10
Yeah then find where x is by plugging in y to get the two co-ordinates of where your tangent starts then find the gradient of them from the middle of the circle. :smile:

Not sure my answers are right though!

What is the answer please!! :frown:

mm I get y=-x+5 and y=x+1 I may have messed up somewhere :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
I got the gradient for the (5,0) one as -1 and the other one as 1... did you get the same? :O
Reply 12
I got the gradient for the (5,0) one as -1 and the other one as 1... did you get the same? :O

yh
Reply 13
sorry for the long response time, yh are close with those solutions but not exactly right. Solutions are x-y-1=0 and x+y-5=0
Reply 14
does anyone know how we get to these solutions please
Reply 15
does anyone know how we get to these solutions please

It's pretty much what I have it is just they have everything on one side.
Do you know how to get the circle in the form (xa)2+(yb)2=r2(x-a)^2+(y-b)2=r^2?
If you can do that set y=0 to find where it crosses the x axis
Reply 16
Original post by Super199
It's pretty much what I have it is just they have everything on one side.
Do you know how to get the circle in the form (xa)2+(yb)2=r2(x-a)^2+(y-b)2=r^2?
If you can do that set y=0 to find where it crosses the x axis

ok yes i know how to do that. What I done was i set y=0, to make the equation a quadratic then factorised to get the solutions of x=5 or x=1. So this means that it crosses the x-axis at (5,0) and (1,0), am I right here? I am just stuck on the next part where you have to differentiate the original equation. Any help please.
Reply 17
ok yes i know how to do that. What I done was i set y=0, to make the equation a quadratic then factorised to get the solutions of x=5 or x=1. So this means that it crosses the x-axis at (5,0) and (1,0), am I right here? I am just stuck on the next part where you have to differentiate the original equation. Any help please.

No need to differentiate. Work out the centre of the circle first.
After you have done that workout the gradient of the line using the coordinates (5,0) and your centre. Do the same for the other point (1,0) and plug into y-y1=m(x-x1).
Tell me if you get stuck
Reply 18
Original post by Super199
No need to differentiate. Work out the centre of the circle first.
After you have done that workout the gradient of the line using the coordinates (5,0) and your centre. Do the same for the other point (1,0) and plug into y-y1=m(x-x1).
Tell me if you get stuck

ok thanks you, I was told to differentiate by the first poster to this question
Reply 19
ok thanks you, I was told to differentiate by the first poster to this question

Differentiation is fine if you can do it. Do you know about implicit differentiation?

Quick Reply

Latest