The Student Room Group

Maths 2022 AS Paper 1 Pure Help

Could anyone help me understand for Q11b on the 2022 AS Paper 1 (Edexcel Maths) why the perpendicular line passing through line l and the centre of the circle C is the shortest distance between the circle and the line l?

Question:
Figure 3 shows the circle C with equation
x^2 + y^2 10x 8y + 32 = 0
and the line l with equation
2y + x + 6 = 0
(a) Find
(i) the coordinates of the centre of C,
(ii) the radius of C.

(b) Find the shortest distance between C and l.
(5)
Link to the paper (see Q11b) https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/pdf-pages/?pdf=https%3A%2F%2Fpmt.physicsandmathstutor.com%2Fdownload%2FMaths%2FA-level%2FPapers%2FEdexcel%2FAS-Paper-1%2FQP%2FJune%25202022%2520QP.pdf
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
haha, i got this nasty question on my test too. when you look at the diagram, the shortest distance connecting the edge of the circle and line l would be the normal(perpendicular line). To find that distance, you can only use the centre of the circle as a reference point, because when the normal is connected to the centre, it touches the edge of the circle, which is the shortest distance. by finding that distance and taking away the radius (which is 3 in this case), you get the shortest distance! hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by swaggiekaty
haha, i got this nasty question on my test too. when you look at the diagram, the shortest distance connecting the edge of the circle and line l would be the normal(perpendicular line). To find that distance, you can only use the centre of the circle as a reference point, because when the normal is connected to the centre, it touches the edge of the circle, which is the shortest distance. by finding that distance and taking away the radius (which is 3 in this case), you get the shortest distance! hope this helps

thats incredibly helpful, thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by yzven
thats incredibly helpful, thank you!

thanks for this
with the centre of the circle how do you work the points on the tangent

Quick Reply

Latest