The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by HappyCheesecake
I'm doing this exam too, only two weeks away now :O

How are you all finding revision?

I'm quite scared now :s-smilie: Only 2 days to go guys!!!
Original post by theJdog
I'm quite scared now :s-smilie: Only 2 days to go guys!!!

I know :frown: I've had an exam everyday of this week so far and will have one as well tomorrow so I'll be emotionally and physically drained out by Friday.
Just finished up revising Unit 1 and got 71/80 in a paper, so I think I'll leave it for now and just take the rest of the day off.

Dreading unit two though ;_;
Reply 43
Does anyone have good notes for unit 1?
I am so stressed for this!
Have no idea how I'm going to get everything crammed in before Friday
Reply 45
I'm feeling pretty good for this exam, I wasn't great at unit 1 before but once you do all the past papers you see how repetitive the questions are and it's quite easy to see what the mark scheme is looking for. Dreading unit 2 though, the papers for unit 2 seem so much harder
Why do ionisation energies decrease down a group?
Reply 47
Original post by ThatGirlx
Why do ionisation energies decrease down a group?

As you move down a group ( lets say group I ) the atomic radius of the elements increases, so the outer shell electrons are further from the nucleus. There are also more lower orbitals present as you go down a group ( relative to the outer shell ) and these lower electron orbitals provide shielding to the outer electrons. These two factors weaken the outer electrons electrostatic attraction to the nucleus, hence as you go down a group the ionization energies decrease :smile:

Hope that help ^^
Original post by koko1234
Does anyone have good notes for unit 1?

Hope this helps: http://revisionsource.weebly.com/chemistry.html
:smile:
Can someone please explain to me how to determine the element from a graph of 1st IE and 2nd IE?
Thanks
Original post by Lorri97
As you move down a group ( lets say group I ) the atomic radius of the elements increases, so the outer shell electrons are further from the nucleus. There are also more lower orbitals present as you go down a group ( relative to the outer shell ) and these lower electron orbitals provide shielding to the outer electrons. These two factors weaken the outer electrons electrostatic attraction to the nucleus, hence as you go down a group the ionization energies decrease :smile:

Hope that help ^^

Thanks so much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saaafff
I'm feeling pretty good for this exam, I wasn't great at unit 1 before but once you do all the past papers you see how repetitive the questions are and it's quite easy to see what the mark scheme is looking for. Dreading unit 2 though, the papers for unit 2 seem so much harder

Do you think it's possible to do all the past papers in a day?
How long did it take you to do them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I dont do edexcel for any of my other subjects but from what I've heard, the sciences have been very . . . abstract this year so I think we're gonna get some weird questions on friday.
Reply 53
Do you think it's possible to do all the past papers in a day?
How long did it take you to do them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could probably finish the papers from 2011 onwards, depends how long it takes you? After a while it started to take me around 45 mins to complete one since you get used to the questions and stuff
Original post by Saaafff
You could probably finish the papers from 2011 onwards, depends how long it takes you? After a while it started to take me around 45 mins to complete one since you get used to the questions and stuff

Oh okay,
Do you reckon I should just get started on past papers rather than actually revising the topics? I know everyone learns differently but I think it might be too late to revise and do ALL the past papers... eek!

Or is it worth it to revise everything first
I so should have started revising earlier:angry:
Reply 55
Original post by harsh.boy365
Can someone please explain to me how to determine the element from a graph of 1st IE and 2nd IE?
Thanks

A big jump in the successive ionisation energy indicates the element is entering the second energy level.

For example, in the graph for sodium, one electron is removed before the first big jump. Therefore you will know sodium is in Group 1 and it is sodium's 1st IE.

Hope this help!
Reply 56
Oh okay,
Do you reckon I should just get started on past papers rather than actually revising the topics? I know everyone learns differently but I think it might be too late to revise and do ALL the past papers... eek!

Or is it worth it to revise everything first
I so should have started revising earlier:angry:

I myself find doing past papers the best type of revision for me, I tend to remember what the mark scheme is looking for and that helps you a lot for answering the questions but that will depend on if you generally know the subject well. If you have decent knowledge about the subject then I'd say give it a go doing the past papers and if there's a certain topic where you keep making mistakes just go over that for a while?
Original post by Saaafff
I myself find doing past papers the best type of revision for me, I tend to remember what the mark scheme is looking for and that helps you a lot for answering the questions but that will depend on if you generally know the subject well. If you have decent knowledge about the subject then I'd say give it a go doing the past papers and if there's a certain topic where you keep making mistakes just go over that for a while?

Hmm yeah I agree, thanks!
Good luck for Friday :biggrin:
Reply 58
Hmm yeah I agree, thanks!
Good luck for Friday :biggrin:

Thankss, you too :smile: And if you need any topics cleared up then just ask
Guys can someone list all the irregularities for the Ionisation energy trends. Also there's this thing with Chromium and Copper.. I just dont get it?

Latest

Trending

Trending